banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who uses 250k pots for the bridge humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who uses 250k pots for the bridge humbucker?

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
    Are there any other players who hate to touch their tone knobs? Mainly, I think it is easy to remember your tone knob setting when it is always on full, one less thing to worry about.
    That describes me. Don't want to have to adjust my tone pots; only do in rare situations. Jeremy here once estimated 80 or 90% of players never touch their tone pots. Once I get the PU's EQ'd together, then all I have to is adjust the amp EQ to fit the venue/room. Both PU's will sound good.

If I have a 3 pot guitar, I make a bridge volume and tone (250K) and a neck volume (500K) with no tone.

For a 2 pot guitar, I do the same, but wrap the bridge tone pot in plastic and put it inside the control cavity, so I get the warmth of two 250K's. Can't adjust the tone pot, but I almost never do that anyways.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

That I did not expect, wiring a tone just for the effect and leaving it in the cavity.

I always put 2 volumes 1 master tone in everything, even if I have to drill a hole.

Comment

Do it all the time. Most of my HB guitars have 250k vol pots and all of the SC guitars do

Comment

Ok, my official plan is to buy a 250k liberator. Will probably solve my issue, and I get to play with a new toy.

Comment

if you have any 500k or 470k resistors lying around you could hook one up from the hot wire on your pickup to ground, this will mimic a 250k pot. just to see if you like it.
            our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
            'Cause all the girls are sluts,
            And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              That describes me. Don't want to have to adjust my tone pots; only do in rare situations. Jeremy here once estimated 80 or 90% of players never touch their tone pots. Once I get the PU's EQ'd together, then all I have to is adjust the amp EQ to fit the venue/room. Both PU's will sound good.

If I have a 3 pot guitar, I make a bridge volume and tone (250K) and a neck volume (500K) with no tone.

For a 2 pot guitar, I do the same, but wrap the bridge tone pot in plastic and put it inside the control cavity, so I get the warmth of two 250K's. Can't adjust the tone pot, but I almost never do that anyways.
              I'm curious why you don't just use a resistor in the cavity?
              "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

I'm surprised so many of you don't like the tone pots. They're one of my best friends.
                My 3 guitars sounds so different, I just need them. And I like them, too.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                  if you have any 500k or 470k resistors lying around you could hook one up from the hot wire on your pickup to ground, this will mimic a 250k pot. just to see if you like it.
                  Good idea, but that eliminates the need to buy a new toy so I won't be trying it What can I say, I'm just looking for an excuse to use the liberator at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                    Good idea, but that eliminates the need to buy a new toy so I won't be trying it What can I say, I'm just looking for an excuse to use the liberator at this point
                    good point! im not gonna stop anyone from getting a new toy to play with!! hope you like it!
                    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
                      I used to own a Fender Big Apple (AKA Double Fat) Stratocaster. This model featured two SD humbucking pickups running via 250k pots. I eventually sold the guitar in SSS format and kept the PG+ bridge pickup for myself. Whenever I install this pickup, it gets a 250k pot.

I have a similar pickguard that I'm using. I put some SD pickups in it and I miss the high end. I'm wondering if just changing the volume pot to 500k would help or do I need to change the two tone pots as well. Sorry for bumping this old thread but this is what the search brought me to.
                      my soundclick page

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 250k. If it sounds good, do it. If it don't, just put the 500k back in.
                        Generic signature line.

Comment

that's the way i am with the humbucker guitars. on my lp i moved the switch to the open tone hole to cut down on the wiring. the 250k volume may be what this particular setup needs if the bridge pup is bright. seems like it would compensate for the shared tone pot -especially in the mid pos.
                          It is better to Understand than to be understood.
                          -Bill Russell-

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                            Hopefully anyone with a Screamin' Demon in the bridge position.
                            I actually like the lil demon with a 250k pot, sounds nice and dark

Comment

I do with dimarzio Vhpaf/Vpaf combo.
                              Used to with a JB
                              Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                              Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                              Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                              Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                              Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                              Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                              1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                              Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

250k pots with JB and 2 Vintage Rails.

Comment

Working...
                                X