banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have discovered the Epiphone Pickups have a lot of wax!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have discovered why the Epiphone Pickups suck!!!

I have been buying cheap sets of used Epiphone G-400 (SG) pickups for years to install in student's guitars. If you take off the covers and clean off all the wax, they are great sounding pickups, considering you can get them for about 12 dollars each sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
      I have been buying cheap sets of used Epiphone G-400 (SG) pickups for years to install in student's guitars. If you take off the covers and clean off all the wax, they are great sounding pickups, considering you can get them for about 12 dollars each sometimes.
      It's unfortunate that my post was the last of page three because now it's that much harder to refer back to, but this is a DiMarzio Air Classic, a well regarded pickup, and it boasts a metric fuctkon of wax, and that doesn't seem to hinder it's good reputation. Do Duncans come from the factory with that much wax?

Are you absolutely sure the Epi pickups sound better after losing the wax? How did they improve exactly?

The classic DiMarzio Air Classic

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
        I've come across this thread a few times in Google searches about pickups and wax potting, people claiming a reason / the reason cheap humbuckers sound muffled or lifeless or whatever is because they "drown them in wax", so I was not expecting to find enough wax to make one of those small restaurant candles when I removed the covers from the fine, USA made DiMarzio Air Classics

so it seems to me the reason stock Epiphone pickups are so lacking in teh toanal qualities has become a little less clear once again.
        WOW I am speechless... this not something I would expect from Dimarzio... Would not all that Wax interfere with their AIR technology .
        sigpic
        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
        JFG Flying V,
        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I had a gold covered '59 that was potted in a similar fashion. The other pickup in the set was potted more moderately though.

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
          WOW I am speechless... this not something I would expect from Dimarzio... Would not all that Wax interfere with their AIR technology .
          The AIR technology is about distancing as far as I know, not actual air.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
            Are you absolutely sure the Epi pickups sound better after losing the wax? How did they improve exactly?
            It could be more a function of removing the covers and lowering the pole screws rather than the wax. I'd have to perform a controlled test to see which. The poles are always raised up really high above the bobbin though, and I know that can really change the tone.

Comment

I took the cover off my Alternative 8 and there was very little wax, just enough to basically keep the cover from vibrating against the coils and baseplate.

Comment

A couple of the reasons SDs have less wax than some others are as follows: SD deep draw tools their own covers which are designed to fit snug over the bobbins and not leave a lot of air space for the wax to fill. Second, the process SD uses to attach the covers involves a clamp that really compresses the pickup into the cover while the cover is being soldered on. These two things create less air voids that lead to less wax build-up.

BTW, we don't talk about competitor's products "sucking" here. We try to be more objective in our criticism. Showing the wax is fine. Speculating that more wax means a poorly constructed pickup is fine. Using the word "suck" is a slag. I never noticed this thread before, but I changed the title slightly to remove that word. Please keep that in mind. Thank you.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Re: I have discovered the Epiphone Pickups have a lot of wax!!!

"AIR Technology"

Please, call it something besides "Technology"
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                    "AIR Technology"

Please, call it something besides "Technology"
                    It's correct calling it that.

After all, it's even earned a patent.

HTH,

Comment

Whoa. I think the title of this thread changed
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                        Whoa. I think the title of this thread changed
                        see post number 67

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                        BTW, we don't talk about competitor's products "sucking" here. We try to be more objective in our criticism. Showing the wax is fine. Speculating that more wax means a poorly constructed pickup is fine. Using the word "suck" is a slag. I never noticed this thread before, but I changed the title slightly to remove that word. Please keep that in mind. Thank you.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          see post number 67
                          I see. I thought I was trippin' for a second.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

[Sarcasm On]
                            Well, wax in pickups is surely a delicate thing.

Best is not to pot at all - it tends to give a potty sound (and the original PAFs weren't potted - and they are the holy grail of sound!)

But if you are one of these evil high gain players:
                            Use bees wax as it makes the sound more warm and natural - always do the potting when the moon is waning. Its also good when a virgin is operating the vacuum pump, but these are increasingly hard to find.
                            [Sarcasm off]

Comment

All that wax reminds me of my ex.

Comment

Would have agreed a few years back when this thread was new but the newer designed Epi stuff is quite a bit better, while certainly not quite on the level of a "name brand" US OE or aftermarket pickup they're certainly as good or better than the imported aftermarket stuff.

Personally I own a few Epiphones and have or am in the process of swapping to Duncan, DiMarzio, or Gibson pickups- I like them better but wouldn't call the current ProBuckers, for example, garbage - theyre a lot better than the previous stuff.

Only reason I bothered to comment was that it doesn't seem to show much class to rant about it after Evan taking the time to change the title of the the thread and gently remind posters of the forum rules
                                Last edited by Evan Skopp; 01-18-2015, 05:27 PM. Reason: Deleted Offensive Language

Comment

Working...
                                X