Help from any computer gurus out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

Thanks for keeping up with this thread, guys. I'll probably send this PSU back because money is tight right now and I really don't need it.

Here's something new, though: I got the system to crash without the third HD plugged in. Both SATA and power were unplugged from the drive at the time. I guess the problem isn't directly related to that third drive, it just happens more often with it than without it.

All three hard drives and the CD/DVD drive are connected via SATA.

I generally shut the system down completely after each use, because that computer is not my primary computer and I only use it for music.

Any guesses as to the next appropriate diagnostic test would be greatly appreciated, but feel free to give up on this at any time. I'm almost there myself.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Well now, .... if you got it to crash without the third drive installed... and you never had a problem with crashing before the installation of the third drive, it sort of leads down the path that uOpt is suggesting..... during the installation of the drive, something came loose, connection was bumped, or some type of damage was done to another component we have yet to identify. Really the only suggestion I can give you now is re-seat every connection, and I mean all of them, including pulling the main processor, making sure you have plenty of heat transfer thermo paste between the heat sink and processor. I have seen these issues where not enough paste was used and intermittent crashes occurred due to the heat.

I cannot think of anything else to do.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
        Here's something new, though: I got the system to crash without the third HD plugged in. Both SATA and power were unplugged from the drive at the time. I guess the problem isn't directly related to that third drive, it just happens more often with it than without it.
        Well it's what I've been telling you all along.

So your choices are try different OS or different motherboard.

Comment

Do you have the latest Bios or an early one.? There's been a few updates that have included " improved system stability ".
          The latest vesion is this;
          BIOS (7)
          Version 1006
          Description Sabertooth X58 1006 BIOS
          1. Update Intel Raid Option ROM
          2. Fix USB3.0 Overcurrent check may fail File Size 1,22 (MBytes) 2011.04.21 update
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
            Well it's what I've been telling you all along.

So your choices are try different OS or different motherboard.
            uOpt, you crack me up " told you so, told you so"

actually, SF...220 told us that the computer worked before the installation of the third hard drive. That leads me to believe your suggestion about bumping something or something got disturbed/damaged in the system seems a little more possible. Before the third drive installation, the OS was OK. Now the MB could have been damaged by pressing too hard on the SATA connector when he installed the third drive.

I do not know what more we can do to help in this situation. All we are doing now is suggesting parts replacement until the issue goes away. In theory, we have eliminated the Power supply and now the third drive being the issue. The Motherboard and OS are too intertwined to determine which could be at issue here with firmware and driver issues all involved.

I can fix the issue easy... buy a new computer Sorry, I just do not know where to really go from here.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
              Do you have the latest Bios or an early one.? There's been a few updates that have included " improved system stability ".
              The latest vesion is this;
              Sounds like a good route to take!!!!

Comment

Okay, here's the plan...

I'm going to reinstall the old PSU, and in the process, unplug and replug everything.

I'm going to check the BIOS version.

If it crashes after this, I'm going to throw the computer out a window. A very high window.

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
                  Okay, here's the plan...

I'm going to reinstall the old PSU, and in the process, unplug and replug everything.

If it crashes after this, I'm going to throw the computer out a window. A very high window.
                  PLEASE DO NOT FORGET to pull the main processor, then the heat sink from the main processor, apply more thermal paste, and re-install in MB.

Comment

What I said is that it is very unlikely that the thing "works without the third harddrive, doesn't work with it" turns out to be true in the end. That's the problem with studies and a sample size of 1 or 2. The thermal paste thing is another useless thing. There's no heat problem, otherwise it would have crashed with 4x mprime.

You will have to try either a new mainboard or a different OS. I know that's actual work but you ruled out everything else. As I mentioned these problems (things on the southbridge being hosed) are not too uncommon for loaded Asus boards.

Comment

• Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

Well following those solutions, replace MB and OS should just about cover every possible thing wrong on the present MB and any and every driver issue...... basically you are telling him to get a new computer... again.... you crack me up. I also like your statistical analysis example and sample size explanation on diagnosing a computer issue with multiple variables. Sample rates.... you have got to be kidding

You do realize it worked before the installation of the 3rd hard drive????

Well, lets hope it does not go that far.

Wishing the OP the best.

Take care.

Brad

Comment

Well following those solutions, replace MB and OS should just about cover every possible thing wrong on the present MB and any and every driver issue...... basically you are telling him to get a new computer... again.... you crack me up.
                        ER! You said the same thing, pretty much.

I can fix the issue easy... buy a new computer Sorry, I just do not know where to really go from here.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SF
                        Okay, here's the plan...

If it crashes after this, I'm going to get another motherboard?
                        It would be such a waste of the rest of it, to " trash it"
                        Last edited by GoldenVulture; 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                          ER! You said the same thing, pretty much.
                          True, but you did notice the banging the head against a wall icon?? I meant the statement to be a little ridiculous! That's the problem with forums and emails, never can really get the intent across! However, it does feel like we are banging our heads against a wall, all of us want to get our hands on the system to fix it, and we have to rely on the OP to interpret what we say in our emails and then go and do it. We also have our own ways of doing things. I am a Network admin. for a med. sized engineering company. My number one job is to keep the network up and all the workstations productive. To that end I must diagnose problems quickly or come up with a work-a-round to get the "work related project" completed with the resources I have. In the case of the OP's problem, I would have quickly discovered the third drive issue. Then if the problem continued, I would have to assume something was damaged or disconnected during the initial installation of the drive. If reconnecting everything again did not fix it, the engineer would get a replacement system and his or her work would go on and I then would do a complete overhaul of the system...... Which is what uOpt is suggesting, but that is a last resort. Changing the OS is not an option for me, that is like throwing the baby out with the bath water....and does not help at all. Changing the MB, if after following your recommendations of updating the bios did not work, would again be a last resort effort.

But to put a feather in my hat, I run, troubleshoot, and maintain 2 Novell and 6 MS Servers, along with 50 Windows XP workstations. In my 15 years with this company.... My Network has never gone down due to hardware or software issues! All of my servers are very redundant in build (dual memory, power supplys, network cards). I do have workstation issues, however, I keep my engineers, surveyors and planners productive, 99% of the time, only swapping out systems if its going to take me longer than 10 minutes to fix. I have had power outages that after a few hours my battery backups go dead, but I cannot control that.

Knocking on very thick wood now!!!!

Brad

Comment

I can see where you are coming from mate. i have a good friend who does the same type of work as you. His network has about 250+ workstations on it. He also likes to use computers to make music. A couple of tracks I have on my sound click site are his backings.[ Phils Thing and P3 ]

I do home user servicing and installations . I've also put together a few different DAW's. I'm looking at it from experince that way. [ i'm also a trained audio engineeer from back in the early 80's ]

Daw's do seem to be finicky about hardware and particularly motherboards and chipsets. Also drivers for audio devices can be touch and go, too. Some hardware combinations work fine , others don't. My own annoyances are mainly they are too noisy [ MB's ] and audio proccessing cards and such are either cheap and directed towards gamers and similar, or are much more high end and pricy.

My own approach is " what can we do before we start replacing hardware " [ Spending $ ] We seem to have exhausted most of those possibilities. A Different/new MB is the most likely thing to do at this point, it would seem.
                            My one concern is that it worked fine for a while but now[ with or without the third drive ] it crashes. Flaky board? Flaky drivers? Considering it does it with two different interfaces, I'd lean towards flaky hardware that's getting worse.

I use an Aardvark Q10 interface. It's drivers and driver version can be touchy as to whether they work or not and in the previous DAW I used it in, it depended in what order I loaded the software and drivers for it and other hardware/software I used in it; As to whether the thing worked properly or not.
                            Last edited by GoldenVulture; 07-06-2011, 06:31 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't say get a new computer.

First of all, of course for me the first step would be to try another OS, namely a 32 bit XP. Windows drivers ****ed up? A possibility? Hell yes.

Second, a mainboard is a pain to exchange in a working computer but it is more work to first replace everything else and then the mainboard. I don't see how a new mainboard is a "new computer". Sure, this board is expensive but then buying an expensive Asus board is not a good idea in the first place.

Comment

Okay, before I respond in greater depth, just an update. The old power supply is back in, and I'm about to install the latest BIOS version.

EDIT: From everything I just read about updating a BIOS, it's pretty risky...should I wait on this?

Here's the other thing. I emailed the company that built the computer for me, because it's only 6 months old and there is a one year warranty on it. Seeing as you guys are starting to agree that something in there is broken, I want get them involved in replacing it.

I read all the latest posts and I'm starting to believe it's a faulty part somewhere as well. Even though the crashes didn't happen before the third drive was there, it's looking less and less like it was the source of the problem, even though logic would say it must be related.
                                Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 07-02-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X