Help from any computer gurus out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

If you bought a whole computer there is hope they replace the mobo for you and give it to somebody else.

Comment

EDIT: From everything I just read about updating a BIOS, it's pretty risky...should I wait on this?
      It's relatively simple. These days it's even easier than it used to be. Some can be done in windows. In the old days you'd have to boot up a dos disk and do it that way.

I emailed the company that built the computer for me, because it's only 6 months old and there is a one year warranty on it.
      A lot of warranties are voided the moment you open the enclosure.
      Don't tell them you have.
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        If you bought a whole computer there is hope they replace the mobo for you and give it to somebody else.
        uOpt, your opinion of human nature amazes me. Is the glass always half-empty for you? I have to trust most folks will do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
          uOpt, your opinion of human nature amazes me. Is the glass always half-empty for you? I have to trust most folks will do the right thing.
          Well ... not much longer

This what happens in Asus RMA service when you send in a motherboard.

No motherboard manufacturer gives you a new-new board when you send in a broken one. They give you another one from the pile that tested OK. The difference with Asus is that they skip the testing except for a simple "posts yes/no". They either send you your old board back after flashing the BIOS or they randomly draw one from the pretty much untested pile of other returns. Other manufacturers are more willing to send boards to the trash after some real(er) testing.

This isn't a rumor. You can even call them and ask. Of course they don't admit to the non-testing but there are numerous threads tracking boards and they will tell you that you get a "refurbished" board, not a new one. This is often justified as most of the boards indeed do come back due to pilot error. What is not good is if the testing is lousy. For example it is pretty obvious that an error description like "hangs on heavy harddrive activity" or "bluescreen with obscure USB" device will not see the test staff run out and buy the hardware to test. They rate this as "excessive and unusual load demands" and they simply send it to another customer hoping for one with less disk activity and/or one willing to buy the usual excuse which is "windows sucks, that's why your PC hangs".

That is why I don't buy expensive Asus boards anymore. I buy the cheap ones in the intend to throw it in the trash if anything is wrong. Except I don't have to. Cheap Asus boards tend to work, as in all components and forever. Expensive Asus board almost always have heavy problems, usually around I/O reported on forums and people often don't get them resolved. BIOS updates from Asus tend to be more useless than other manufacturer's, too, probably due to the higher number of competing requirements. The simpler the board the less things the BIOS needs to sort out and the less lines you have to draw on the PCB.
          Last edited by uOpt; 07-03-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Still waiting to hear back from this computer store before I do anything else. I'll keep you guys posted...hopefully soon.
            "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

An update: I think I solved this problem. After like 6 months of troubleshooting.

I'll try to explain as concisely as possible. I had two versions of Reaper on my computer: 32 bit and 64 bit. Originally, I had been using only the 64x version, but later discovered that some plugins could only be modified in the 32x version, so I stuck to using the 32x because it seemed to work fine (all this happened before any crashes).

So the other night, I thought I'd try to run all the same projects in 64x. Some of the plugins didn't work, but I could open as many projects as I wanted without the computer crashing!

I'm going to find 64x compatible plugins to replace the others, but it looks like this is going to work (finally). I guess I just maxed out what 32 bits can handle...I dunno.
              "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

dear friend
                if it's a driver issue
                1. run in command prompt "verifier /standard /all" . to turn it off ( cause this may bring problems) .. "verifire /reset"
                2. RAM issue, they mensioned, memtest is perfect
                3. hard disk probelm ... HDtune
                otherwise... maybe CPU or probably motherboard.
                wish you good luck
                PS if you turn on verifier it will bring you a blue secreen of death with the name of the driver.

Comment

Working...
                X