Help from any computer gurus out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

Oh, my computer's power supply? Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were asking how the FTP was powered. It's a custom made desktop with a Cooler Master 550W power supply...THIS ONE.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally Posted by GoldenVulture
      Go to control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance[settings]>Advancd[ Virtual Memory-Change. Click custom size. fill in amount click set .
      Click OK there's a few applys on the way back out and then you need to reboot to make the change effective.

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
      Okay, my virtual memory is currently set to 12,279 MB...you think increasing it would change anything?
      Way too much, unless you have 8gig of ram.
      I presume it's set to " let windows manage it " or a windows allocated max and miniumum which differ.
      You don't want it varying while your trying to use the disk.[ recording, mixing ]
      That's why one should set it to an equall max and minimum.

VM rule of thumb is; 1 and 1/2 times your ram.
      EG; 1 gig ram - VM 1.5 gig
      2gig ram - VM 3gig.

Choose custom Setting
      SET the maximum and minimum boxes to the same amount
      EG Min-2000Meg
      Max-2000Meg
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
        Way too much, unless you have 8gig of ram.
        Haha, I actually have 12GB, but I'll try to set it to a fixed value and see what happens. I'll report back, thanks.

EDIT: I set the virtual memory to a minimum and maximum of 2000 MB and it crashed again. No luck. Thanks for the help though, GoldenVulture.
        Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty fed up with this whole thing. I'm starting to shop around for other USB interfaces just to get back to my recording/editing/mixing.

Unless someone thinks the problem is with my computer and not the FTP, I think I'm done with M-Audio.

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back with an update.

I replaced the M-Audio Fast Track Pro with a Tascam US-1800. Still crashing. I reinstalled Windows from scratch along with all of the software and drivers. And it's still crashing.

The last time it crashed I was in the middle of editing, and the project file got corrupted somehow in the crash. I have a backup, but I lost a lot of editing work. I guess my question is...who can help me diagnose this problem? I understand this is a guitar/pickup forum so the answer might not be here. I don't know if I need to switch to a Firewire or PCI interface, or if my computer just can't handle the load.

Comment

I can't answer your problem but I can say I've never had luck with USB audio devices.
              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back with an update.

I replaced the M-Audio Fast Track Pro with a Tascam US-1800. Still crashing. I reinstalled Windows from scratch along with all of the software and drivers. And it's still crashing.

The last time it crashed I was in the middle of editing, and the project file got corrupted somehow in the crash. I have a backup, but I lost a lot of editing work. I guess my question is...who can help me diagnose this problem? I understand this is a guitar/pickup forum so the answer might not be here. I don't know if I need to switch to a Firewire or PCI interface, or if my computer just can't handle the load.
                Did you ever do a formal test of system stability?

Comment

Definitely want to do stability testing. Memory or PSU issues can show up in all sorts of weird ways. The errors falling where they do may just mean that happens to be the program you are using when it dies.

Powered USB hub is an excellent idea for isolating USB issues, as mentioned a lot of motherboards have garbage USB power handling.

memtest86+ is highly recommended for making sure your memory isn't flaky. I usually load it from an Ubuntu livecd.

PSU is harder to nail down. Checking that voltages are within spec is a good idea. Software to do that while running will depend on your motherboard. Can usually access it in firmware during bootup, though.

CPU testing is a good idea, too. A few hours of Prime95 is a good place to start on that.

Might also look at firmware upgrades, but until you are reasonably sure of your PSU, memory and CPU I'd be cautious about that, as it's easy to brick your motherboard.

Motherboard/chipset drivers can have a dramatic effect on system stability, make sure you get those from your motherboard manufacturer. It's less of an issue most of the time with Windows 7, but can still be an issue.

USB drivers are another thing to check. (For the motherboard, not the audio board).

Comment

Can you give us a few specs for your computer?

Brand, Model, CPU/speed, Ram [12 gig ? ] Video output [ onboard or card ] , any onboard sound chip? Net connected ?

Did you leave your VM set to an equall Max and Min? That was the point of what I was saying. VM works best when set to an equall max and min.

Also Lan ports can interfere as can net connections and any auto update program. especially if they kick off in the middle of you using lots of computer resources [ editing/ mixing ] . These are all best turned of while using a multi track program.

This is why it is recommend that a D.A.W. is not net/network connected.

I have an issue with my [Non net connected ] D.A.W. . It appears the onboard sound chip [ turned on or off ] interfers with my other sound devices. It causes the sound to dissappear or/and the computer to freeze. When the sound dissappears I can see the wave forms hapopening in my sound program but nothing can be heard.

It's intermittent so some times the thing runs for hours without a hiccup. Other times it happens with in 5 minutes of booting up. My solution is probably to change to a better quality Motherboard WITHOUT a crappy AC97 type chip on it. Apart from that the current motheboard is as noisy as crap. Lots of bus noise. It has got to go.
                    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM.
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                      I can't answer your problem but I can say I've never had luck with USB audio devices.
                      What have you had good luck with? PCI?

Comment

Thanks again guys for all the help. My replies...

uOpt: How do I go about testing system stability?

Despair: I ran a test on my memory and it showed no errors.

How do I know if my PSU voltages are within spec?

What does Prime95 do?

When I reinstalled Windows, I reinstalled the motherboard drivers myself from the manufacturer CD.

The new interface (US-1800) is not USB bus powered, it's powered by a DC jack. It's also USB 2.0 instead of 1.1, if that makes any difference.

GoldenVulture: My PC is custom made with these parts...
                        Intel i7 950 3.06GHz quad core processor
                        ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard
                        12GB RAM (3x4GB)
                        ATI HD5570 1GB video card
                        Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio sound card
                        WD Black 7200RPM SATA3 hard drives
                        Coolermaster 550W PSU
                        Coolermaster 690 II case
                        ...I think that's everything. It's running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

I left the VM set as you recommended. I keep my LAN port and wireless adapter both disabled. I have a separate PC just for music that never uses the internet/network.

Comment

It's not just run A test on memory, you want it to loop at least a few full cycles of memtest86+. Any random test wont necessarily turn up hardware errors the way memtest86+ can. Load related issues can be difficult to get to repeat, so you have to stress the system a while to make them turn up.

A 4 process Prime95 load keeps the whole CPU quite busy, as well as working cache and memory hard. Great all around system stress test.

And the problem could well be with the old drivers included with the motherboard. Check Asus's website for a newer version.

As far as PSU voltages, I forget all the ranges, not at my PC that has all my notes. Much outside 5% tends to make me nervous, but the tolerances are specified in the PSU specifications.

Comment

The usual route is mprime (prime95) for CPU testing, superpi (the 32M run) for memory stability (but not all cells), memtest86+ for all memory cells.

If you run windows a 3dmark benchmark is also useful as it adds graphics card heat.

Comment

Despair: I ran a test on my memory and it showed no errors.

How do I know if my PSU voltages are within spec?

What does Prime95 do?

When I reinstalled Windows, I reinstalled the motherboard drivers myself from the manufacturer CD.

The new interface (US-1800) is not USB bus powered, it's powered by a DC jack. It's also USB 2.0 instead of 1.1, if that makes any difference.

GoldenVulture: My PC is custom made with these parts...
                              Intel i7 950 3.06GHz quad core processor
                              ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard
                              12GB RAM (3x4GB)
                              ATI HD5570 1GB video card
                              Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio sound card
                              WD Black 7200RPM SATA3 hard drives
                              Coolermaster 550W PSU
                              Coolermaster 690 II case
                              ...I think that's everything. It's running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

I left the VM set as you recommended. I keep my LAN port and wireless adapter both disabled. I have a separate PC just for music that never uses the internet/network.
                              You may have a bad stick of ram, have you tried taking out 8gb and running it on a single 4gb ?

Comment

What have you had good luck with? PCI?
                                Yep, I'm running the same PCI card for years and before this one it was another PCI card. My system is pretty rock solid with Win XP tweaked for audio and no internet.
                                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                                X