Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    Cool the 78 is about the ONLY pup i havent tried! LOL!
    I really am diggin the dimarzio axis pup that is a really great VH pup,it does the old tone in a strat and with a plexi. it has the classic VH eq in it. the resistance is real deceiving in this pup it is a 17K but plays and feels like a PAF dont know how dimarzio did that?
    I added a little to my post;

I would say the '78 does, without any problems. Now the DMarz MM/SuperD would get there more directly I'm guessing , with a real Plexi, Jbl/G12m-20 mix speakers, and a saturated variac sound. I know there is something to the JBL/G12M mix, cause thats what I've heard Jim Marshall designed the great late 70's/early 80's G12-65 from-the mix of JBL clean and vintage Celestion dirty ( hailed as THE greatest 4x12 speaker ever made, and I concur).Thats another amazing attribute to Ed to have spawned Marshalls greatest 4x12 cabinet speaker.
    Besides that, the '78 is EVH-1 in a box...using a Marshall JMP in my case.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Well there are three tones on VH1, the strat, the destroyer and runnin with the devil which many say is not either of those two guitars? maybe it was that LP jr he had on the VH1 photo shoot?

Comment

Since the Duncan 78 is a alnico II magnet pickup also low output does it have the edge-cut to achieve the Van halen 1 sound,I installed a Duncan custom SH-5 and that pickup has the edge-cut-midrange thats on Van halen 1 plus its a ceramic magnet pickup.Its a PAF on steroids.Also there are no low output pickups that I have tried that have the edge-cut aggressiveness to achieve Van halen 1.Give Van halen 1 a good listen.
        Last edited by pittbull; 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
          Since the Duncan 78 is a alnico II magnet pickup also low output does it have the edge-cut to achieve the Van halen 1 sound,I installed a Duncan custom SH-5 and that pickup has the edge-cut-midrange thats on Van halen 1 plus its a ceramic magnet pickup.Its a PAF on steroids.Also there are no low output pickups that I have tried that have the edge-cut aggressiveness to achieve Van halen 1.Give Van halen 1 a good listen.
          Pittbull i cant speak for the 78 but can tell you that i use a PG trembucker which is also alnico II pup and this one has the sizzle and high end cut like a ceramic. as a matter of fact they have VERY similar spec's(78 and PG)
          Have you ever actually tried the PG? it is not a typical A2 pup
          Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

No I havent tried a PG.

Comment

No I havent tried a PG.
              Sorry to hear that cause if you had your opinion on A2 pups would be different

Comment

For the Van halen 1 sound you need a pickup with all power and clarity that you can get,but still have the punch-edge-cut and have a PAF flavor also.A ceramic magnet is in my opinion also important for Van halen 1.I also believe that a alnico II or V magnets dont have the strengh like a ceramic for the Van halen 1 sound.I have done alot of experimenting with pickups and the ceramic is the way to go for that sound.

Comment

For the Van halen 1 sound you need a pickup with all power and clarity that you can get,but still have the punch-edge-cut and have a PAF flavor also.A ceramic magnet is in my opinion also important for Van halen 1.I also believe that a alnico II or V magnets dont have the strengh like a ceramic for the Van halen 1 sound.I have done alot of experimenting with pickups and the ceramic is the way to go for that sound.
                  pretty much and thats why i said earlier to try the custom or just use a DSD but i do love the PG as well works for me

Comment

Working...
                  X