"Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

there is a guy who worked at kramer(plexified)and he said that the EVH 5150's went out of the factory loaded with 59's,did ed keep em in? only ed knows?

Comment

squier with a POS Hohner humbucker! proves it's the amp not so much the pup
      Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

A better pickup would make it sound better.

Comment

I thought about this,what if Ed did the opposite, he said,in the early days that he took the ceramic magnet out of a dimarzio super distortion and replaced it with a PAF magnet, what if he took the PAF magnet out of the PAF pickup and replaced it with a ceramic magnet.
          Last edited by pittbull; 06-03-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
            I thought about this,what if Ed did the opposite, he said,in the early days that he took the ceramic magnet out of a dimarzio super distortion and replaced it was a PAF magnet, what if he took the PAF magnet out of the PAF pickup and replaced it with a ceramic magnet.
            That would increase the output of the PAF quite considerably as well as change the EQ of the pup. he may have done that. there is a dimarzio that is wound to 9K but it has the same output of a super d that is wound at 14K. it is the super 2 pup and it is very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
              I thought about this,what if Ed did the opposite, he said,in the early days that he took the ceramic magnet out of a dimarzio super distortion and replaced it was a PAF magnet, what if he took the PAF magnet out of the PAF pickup and replaced it with a ceramic magnet.
              ed couldnt take the pickup magnet out of anything. trust me. if a person can't wire up a neck pickup, then they can't change a pickup magnet.
              Ed had Seymoure rewind his Gibson Paf out of hos 335 and thats what the '78 is.That came somwhere later than VH-1 idk..

The genuine sound we hear on VH-1 is a Mighty mite Screamer through a cranked Plexi and most of the magic was templemans ability to get the full marshall stack on record at live volume..
              Again, for the umpteenth time, its all about the wood- a heavy north ash body with a bright Maple neck,,add the obligatory fender trem, and then put in your Duncan 78, and a tube screamer with a marshall JCM80) cranked and thats as close as many of us will get.
              You cannot get the sound of the VH-1 with a SuperD , too thick, fat, and too round on the top end..so in my opinion thats out!
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I agree the Van halen 1 sound is a ceramic magnet pickup.I tried the 78 pickup and its not Van halen 1 sounding at all.I believe that the 78 pickup is a marketing pickup for duncan, also that pickup is a assumtion of the BS that Ed talked about in the early(70s-80s)interviews.I believe thats why that pickup was made.The 78 is a alnico II magnet pickup which I dont here on Van halen 1.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  The genuine sound we hear on VH-1 is a Mighty mite Screamer through a cranked Plexi.
                  You cannot get the sound of the VH-1 with a SuperD , too thick, fat, and too round on the top end..so in my opinion thats out!
                  this completely contradicts itself?
                  the Mighty mite screamer and the Super d are the same pup!

Comment

I call BS on Eddie dislike of the TONE of Dimarzios. He was just mad because they melted when he tried to wax-pot them.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                      I call BS on Eddie dislike of the TONE of Dimarzios. He was just mad because they melted when he tried to wax-pot them.
                      yeah and for a pup he hated so much he had them in his guitars a LOT!
                      his shark had one,the black/yellow, the frankie had one for a bit. and others

Comment

His custom pickups are a case study in "the paradox of output". Despite the resistance ratings of the pickups (Kramer, EBMM, Peavey, Fender, etc) they are smooth, balanced and have very nice clean tones. I think he challenged these pickup makers to make pickups that produced crazy harmonics, but were not overly hot-sounding. It proves that a little innovation and creativity can yield "the best of both worlds".... no pun intended.

Comment

+1 Ed H and Ian.......

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                            His custom pickups are a case study in "the paradox of output". Despite the resistance ratings of the pickups (Kramer, EBMM, Peavey, Fender, etc) they are smooth, balanced and have very nice clean tones. I think he challenged these pickup makers to make pickups that produced crazy harmonics, but were not overly hot-sounding. It proves that a little innovation and creativity can yield "the best of both worlds".... no pun intended.
                            I completely agree. his does indeed have unusual hot pu's? like the axis bridge pup,it is at 17K but will clean up when you roll off the volume control and even when on full it has a clean yet powerful tone with the occasional reminder of a single coil when you really dig in to the notes.
                            I have one of these in my axis and it is my favorite dimarzio,his neck pu's are unusal as well it has a P-90 on steroids type tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                              this completely contradicts itself?
                              the Mighty mite screamer and the Super d are the same pup!
                              oh. are you sure? I guess the SuperD can be pretty bright as well, especially with cranked Marshalls, and I guess they could've controlled the vague low end of the SuperD with tight Eqing of the lows and I also think he ran a cross of jBL's/ G12m-20's which would tighten the bass up ,but dont know for certain.
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                                oh. are you sure? I guess the SuperD can be pretty bright as well, especially with cranked Marshalls, and I guess they could've controlled the vague low end of the SuperD with tight Eqing of the lows and I also think he ran a cross of jBL's/ G12m-20's which would tighten the bass up ,but dont know for certain.
                                yes the two are the same wire gauge and type,magnet,resistance
                                here is a MM taken apart it will look familar to anyone that has taken a DSD apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X