Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
    .I tried the ducnan custom custom because thats what alot of guys were talking about on guitar sites,that was a mistake.
    I warned you about that one, i said it is great for latter VH tones but
    NOT the first record. just slap a ceramic in that CC you bought.

Comment

I remember in Guitar player magazine 1979 when Seymour was going to put out a "Special Van halen pickup" and Ed basicly told Seymour not to do that,anyway I believe that pickup was the Duncan Custom SH-5 "Beefed up PAF sound". Any opinions on this.
      NO seymour did not have VH in mind when he wound the custom. it has been said the custom was a result of a request from elliott easton of the cars who wanted a bigger hotter PAF for his dean

Comment

So let me ask this,the first time you heard Van halen 1(first album),and your trying to analize his sound,pickup wise,what would be your first thought and what pickup would you have used to achieve that sound.For me the first time I heard van halen 1 if I had to guess pickup wise it wouldnt be a vintage type of pickup thats for sure.

Comment

analize
          That so perfectly describes what people try to do with the VHI sound around here ANAL-ize.

You said yourself that you hear vintage pickup tones on that album. If thats what you hear then why not buy that and get the tone you want? Who cares if it isnt the exact type of pickup used as its the sound that your after right? Then why try to shove it down everyone elses throats. Everyone has their own opinion buy according to yours and be happy.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Something else that was lightly touched on but should also be taken into consideration was what Templmann did to the sound. Are you going for the sound on the record or what was in the room that day? If your after the sound on record then you need a pickup thats going to compensate for the changes in EQ the engineer did.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

So let me ask this,the first time you heard Van halen 1(first album),and your trying to analize his sound,pickup wise,what would be your first thought and what pickup would you have used to achieve that sound.For me the first time I heard van halen 1 if I had to guess pickup wise it wouldnt be a vintage type of pickup thats for sure.
              honestly? i heard a dimarzio super distortion.
              Back in 77-78 the tone was not very gainy coming from most players and the ONLY guy i heard that had a huge, higher gain tone was tom scholz and guess what pup he used? LOL!

Comment

does any of this really matter?
                Overwound paf will put anyone in the ball park. The right marshall crunch and you are good to go.
                None of us work in a museum, why cant we just get on with making music?
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  does any of this really matter?
                  Overwound paf will put anyone in the ball park. The right marshall crunch and you are good to go.
                  None of us work in a museum, why cant we just get on with making music?
                  I personally enjoy discussing This stuff. a overwound PAF is great but not till the second record tone. you need more OOMPH from the pup to push the front of the plexi more.
                  Pittbull, lets use eruption as a example since it has just guitar in the studio mix for most of the track, if you listen to this with BOSE phones and a good system you can hear his guitar pushing the plexi from the front. this was either a hot ceramic or some tweaked PAF with another boost before the input of the plexi. some swear he used a OD box of some sort? who knows for sure? it is more likely that eddie used what every other player used back then to push their marshalls harder,
                  the dimarzio super distortion pup. I like the duncan sh5 more for tone reasons and to me it is just a better pup than the dsd is. thats my opinion not actual fact.
                  Last edited by Ed Hunter; 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Edgecrusher, I didnt say I hear vintage on the van halen 1 sound.As for the recorded sound,yes thats what Im going for so are many other guitarist that want that sound.So I do use my ears to what I need to add to my sound to achieve that.
                    Last edited by pittbull; 05-29-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Edgecrusher, I didnt say I hear vintage on the van halen 1 sound.As for the recorded sound,yes thats what Im going for so are many other guitarist that want that sound.So I do use my ears to what I need to add to my sound to achieve that.
                      listen to other guys of that era that used a PAF and compare, they sound NOTHING like VH did!
                      try the custom, if you already own a CC it is only a $5 mod and if you have to buy a custom it is a $50 mod and either way you wind up with a great duncan pup! LOL!
                      Last edited by Ed Hunter; 05-29-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Ed,how true is that.Also Eddie did wind his(experimenting)own pickups before Seymour did,so van halen 1 was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978.Seymour didnt wind pickups for Ed until after van halen 1 was recorded so Ed could have wound the pickup very hot.
                        Last edited by pittbull; 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

...or a variac....apart from what is quite obviously the guys fingers, its his amps that make the biggest difference. Unless you are prepared to run your marshall on ten running way hot with a variac the rest of this stuff about magnets etc is a waste of time. Why do players feel the need to clone some dudes sound so badly? Why especially do ppl over analyze the little details when the sound hes getting is pretty obviously from his custom hot rodded amps anyway? If you want a van halen type tone then look at the big picture....amps, speakers etc first. Then get the pickup you like the best and stop stressing over minor stuff...forget about digging up some long lost piece of guitar history about a piece of wire or a magnet. How many threads have we had on this stuff recently?

...when he was playing with David Lee Roth and playing old VH numbers, do you think Steve Vai gave a toss about what magnet eddie might have used?
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Ed,how true is that.
                            it is funny that you brought up the old duncan GP ad, i always wanted to see that ad but no one seems to have that GP issue? WTF?

Comment

Gibson175 Ive been though the cranked marshall plexi variac thing and modded marshalls so-on and so-on with no cigar,many guys have tried this.I believe the missing item is the correct pickup.

Comment

here is a dimarzio SD

clips by rockstah, the guy gets as close as anyone i have heard
                                Last edited by Ed Hunter; 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X