"Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

How does the Duncan custom sh-5 compare to the dimarzio super distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
      How does the Duncan custom sh-5 compare to the dimarzio super distortion.
      well the dimarzio has more output and is not as "PAF" like as the custom
      the custom stays truer to a gibson PAF in that it has pulled back mids and balanced treble and bass and it's construction is way closer to a gibson PAF(nickle baseplate,glossy bobbins,overall look) the dimarzio has boosted mids,bass and treble.
      the duncan custom has more of the V shape EQ to it,but it is not a drastic V it has mids that punch you in the chest! LOL!
      the super d will push your amp harder for more gain but i prefer the tone of the duncan.

Comment

I still think it's silly to have it pegged what magnet was in a particular pickup, when there are so many factors in getting sound, primary of which is the amp. The tiny little signal coming from the guitar can be changed quite a bit once it's been run through dozens of caps, resistors, preamp tubes, power tubes, etc, etc, etc and then through speakers, which in themselves can change tone dramatically.

Magnet, shmagnet!

Comment

Gibson175 Ive been though the cranked marshall plexi variac thing and modded marshalls so-on and so-on with no cigar,many guys have tried this.I believe the missing item is the correct pickup.
          Nah there are many variables in the chain that make a bigger difference than the pickup does. The biggest difference ive ever heard anyone make in VH tone was practice their eyeballs out to cop his chops. If you dont play like Ed its hard to sound like him.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
            it has been said the custom was a result of a request from elliott easton of the cars who wanted a bigger hotter PAF for his dean
            I thought I was the only person that had read that years ago.

Comment

It's 75% the amp and speakers….

Having said that, it would surprise me if the original mystery pickup was a Custom and not a 78.
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                I thought I was the only person that had read that years ago.
                No i read it too,I remember elliott saying in a interview that he went to seymour and asked for a 59 times two! that pretty much describes the sh-5. lol! He wanted a bridge pup for his dean that had a hotter PAF tone.
                The main thing is i wanted the OP here to know that the SH-5 did not have edward van halen in mind when it was created,even though it will do a mean VH tone nonetheless maybe elliott easton was a VH fan? LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                  I'm sure it was much like the "78 Model". That was (supposedly) the pickup Seymour rewound for Eddie around that time, which likely was the pickup that was in Frankenstein.
                  Van Halen I didn't come out until 1980, EVH wasnt popular yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 57-classic View Post
                    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Comment

Gibson175 Ive been though the cranked marshall plexi variac thing and modded marshalls so-on and so-on with no cigar,many guys have tried this.I believe the missing item is the correct pickup.
                        The missing item is you're not a young Edward Van Halen
                        When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

on what planet? Damn this forum is going to s**t!
                          Last edited by Ed Hunter; 05-29-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post
                            The missing item is you're not a young Edward Van Halen
                            Seems like this would be obvious to people but seeing how much time and effort they spend analyzing equipment vs analyzing technique makes me feel that this is the missing ingredient.

I'm willing to bet I VH could hand me his guitar and his whole rig in the same studio and I still wouldnt sound like him.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

I'm willing to bet I VH could hand me his guitar and his whole rig in the same studio and I still wouldnt sound like him.
                              that what happened when ed handed ted nugent his axe.

Comment

Here, buy a cheap plexi reissue, and send it to Rockstah.

All the brown you can handle.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                                X