Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
    And Seymour told you all of this, or this is something you pulled out of your ass? My guess would be the latter.
    Quoted for truth...
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Ed H,you have low lives all over the net, there behind a computer screen,in a face to face situation they would run,thats the only way they know how to respond back they dont know how to respond in a educated way,thats why they are low lives,case closed no worries,there is no more to say about this subject anyway,people with open minds can figure this out.........
      Last edited by pittbull; 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        LOL

Comment

The "official" statement is that it was made for the dude from the Cars. Where is the '79 ad that shows the "SH-5" being the magical Van Halen pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
            The "official" statement is that it was made for the dude from the Cars. Where is the '79 ad that shows the "SH-5" being the magical Van Halen pickup?
            There isn't one, everything that Ed Hunter and pitbull (or nitro, whatever you want to call him) are saying is just speculation, or guessing, as most sane folks like to call it. Basically Ed Hunter likes the VHI tone he gets from the Custom, so he has convinced himself that Seymour designed it for EVH, even though there is absolutely no evidence (besides their guesses) to support this idea. It took Frank Falbo himself telling them that the CC and the EVH Frankie pup weren't the same for them to finally admit they didn't know what the hell they were talking about, but they just won't let the SH-5 thing go...
            Last edited by oilpit; 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM.
            Originally posted by jcthejester13
            Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Seriously......give the EVH tone hunting a rest for a little while. You might as well start chasing rainbows for the pot of gold at the end
              2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
              Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                It was seymour's version of what Eddie would like in a pickup because Ed did use mighty mite distortion pickup also dimarzio super distortion pickups,it makes alot of sents.The pickup was never released, but from seymour's describtion of the duncan custom sh-5 would make sents to Eds van halen 1 sound,if you understand what I mean.
                Until I hea these words from seymour's mouth, Im callin BS on this one
                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                  There isn't one, everything that Ed Hunter and pitbull (or nitro, whatever you want to call him) are saying is just speculation, or guessing, as most sane folks like to call it. Basically Ed Hunter likes the VHI tone he gets from the Custom, so he has convinced himself that Seymour designed it for EVH, even though there is absolutely no evidence (besides their guesses) to support this idea. It took Frank Falbo himself telling them that the CC and the EVH Frankie pup weren't the same for them to finally admit they didn't know what the hell they were talking about, but they just won't let the SH-5 thing go...
                  Therein lies the rub. It's an EPIC GUITAR SOUND that spawned a generation. Nobody denies the awesomeness of the first Van Halen record, but there's a certain point where you have to just enjoy the history and move on. I mean, some Civil War re-enactors get a little too into it.. ya know?

Comment

EVH again?
                    D'oh
                    Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                    Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelous_seven View Post
                      EVH again?
                      D'oh
                      tell me about it
                      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

"that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Comment

Let me explain it again for some,there is a thread that Devastone started which was "What year did the Custom come out "some need to read that thread and then come back to this one,beginning to end.There is no talk about a specific ad that seymour put out about a "special van halen pickup"it was about what year seymour came out with duncan custom, Seymour did advertise in guitar player magazine in 1979 about his line if pickups,Ohhhhh,then I started this thread about the custom COULD have been the special van halen pickup,Ohhhhh.As for elliot easton,he uses duncan jb's has been for a longtime,Ohhhh.
                          Last edited by pittbull; 06-23-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Please....let me die now before the zombie apocalypse....
                            actually a zombie apocalypse would be a hell of a lot more fun than another EVH 1 pickup thread.
                            Bring on the zombies!
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Oh this thread is Epic...

yep SH5= definitive early EVH tone for sure

I heard that he used a lipsticktube pickup retrofitted to a '58 Tele through a 61 Brown Deluxe. Hence coining of the term "brown sound".
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                                Let me explain it again for some,there is a thread that Devastone started which was "What year did the Custom come out "some need to read that thread and then come back to this one,beginning to end.There is no talk about a specific ad that seymour put out about a "special van halen pickup"it was about what year seymour came out with duncan custom, Seymour did advertise in guitar player magazine in 1979 about his line if pickups,Ohhhhh,then I started this thread about the custom COULD have been the special van halen pickup,Ohhhhh.As for elliot easton,he uses duncan jb's has been for a longtime,Ohhhh.
                                I think the "special" VH pickup was the custom shop '78
                                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Working...
                                X