Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Check this out:

Demo of the Granger M50 Plexi amplifier, with various Van Halen riffs. www.GrangerAmp.com for more specs, pricing, etc. The video is about the TONE of the am...
    EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

Good sounding plexi clone but it still needs alittle more crunch-gain for the first van halen album sound.

Comment

Here is VH's amp with a stock super 70, thats a lot of gain going on there from a super 70? something is in that signal chain other than guitar/super 70/marshall plexi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
          Here is VH's amp with a stock super 70, thats a lot of gain going on there from a super 70? something is in that signal chain other than guitar/super 70/marshall plexi.
          Very cool- listen right at 1:11- sounds like something kicked on there- and I don't mean just rolling up the volume on the guitar as it's instantaneous.

And again at 1:50/1:51- it's either a pickup switch going from neck to bridge, though it doesn;t quite sound right for that, or it's a pedal kicking on.
          Last edited by JeffB; 06-25-2011, 02:20 PM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

No question about it,van halen 1(first album) sound is the most aggressive out of all the van halen recordings.Tubes can only distort so much, there is something in front to achieve that type of distortion.I hear more of a 50 watt with something in front to push it,I dont hear a 100watt.
            Last edited by pittbull; 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I have not heard ONE other player get a plexi to sound like that!
              these clips i hear while some are good they do not match that tone.
              He is using using something to push the plexi into more gain.

Comment

For some of the BS you hear that "Its just a stock cranked plexi using a variac to lower the voltage to 90 volts and the 6ca7 tubes",My ass........Many guys have tried that including me your not going to achieve that type of distortion.I remember reading some of Nitro's post at the metro site and the Rockstah amp site that he had conversation with Jose Arrendondo(Eddie early amp tech) and that Jose did explain to him that Eddie did use some type of overdrive-distortion pedal for that recording of van halen 1 and then for the recording of van halen II Ed did use a master volume that was installed by Jose on his plexi.The overdrive-distortion unit was not used for the recording of van halen II.You can hear the difference from van halen 1 to Van halen II,Van halen 1 is much more aggressive then van halen II,you can hear it.
                Last edited by pittbull; 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a pre-amp pedal to me, as there is almost no color or tonal chnage like you'd get from a TS, MXR D+, or DOD250 (typical peds of the day) just a fairly significant instantaneous increase in gain.

I suspect it could also be someone pulling/flipping a switch at the amp to cascade the two channels.

He has the bass rolled nearly off I'd gather- and high input one- does not sound like a jumped channel-too bright/thin.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

After listening to it further- the gain boost coincides with him turning on the Phase 90- being that those old Phase 90s suck output, he probably had it boosted internally

Comment

Even cascading channels is not going to achieve that type of gain-crunch-distortion.There is something up front to push it.The phase 90 is a coloration pedal it doesnt add gain.There is no phase 90 on running with the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                        Even cascading channels is not going to achieve that type of gain-crunch-distortion.There is something up front to push it.The phase 90 is a coloration pedal it doesnt add gain.There is no phase 90 on running with the devil.
                        Are you kidding me?? the Phase 90 is all over that clip.

If you really don't hear it, then I am convinced that you have lost your mind with this stuff.

And yes you can have them internally boosted- talk to some pedal guys who build them.

Comment

Phase 90 ????? where....

Comment

LOL. Its on everytime the chorus comes in.

The whole ALBUM has the Phase 90 all over it- sometimes blatantly, sometimes very subtle.

Comment

The phase 90 is not used on running with the devil,its used for Eruption,atomic punk(the begining of),Ed used it for solos(some).

Comment

OMG, what a joke. You are clueless dude- if you cannot hear the Phase 90 on there, then you may as well give up on trying to approximate anyone's tone..cos you don't have the ears for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X