• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Tell me where you hear it.......

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
      ...I remember reading some of Nitro's post at the metro site and the Rockstah amp site...
      "reading" Nitro's posts shortly after "typing" Nitro's posts.

People are more taking issue with your unreasonable certainty, rather than your actual content. You can't know any of this stuff for sure, but you post as though you do, and then you call any varying opinion "bs".

It looks a little like an obsessional disorder. 33 years man. How many more of your remaining years will be spent on this? Everyone needs a hobby? I dunno.

Comment

OK missed the phase 90 stuff while typing. This is a wind up right? You can hear A2 vs A5 vs ceramic but you can't hear the phase 90? No, just no. Obvious troll is obvious or oblivious troll is oblivious?

Comment

Stop joking and be serious,you have no interest here go some where else,go now.....No phase 90 on running with the devil, get lost.

Comment

I love seeing ppl get so worked up

let the battle resume
            2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
            Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
            Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by Multi Angle Vise View Post
              "reading" Nitro's posts shortly after "typing" Nitro's posts.

People are more taking issue with your unreasonable certainty, rather than your actual content. You can't know any of this stuff for sure, but you post as though you do, and then you call any varying opinion "bs".

It looks a little like an obsessional disorder. 33 years man. How many more of your remaining years will be spent on this? Everyone needs a hobby? I dunno.

Pitbull/Nitro, we all know you're the same person. The abhorrent grammar is a pretty dead giveaway...
              And just state the point once more...there is DEFINITELY a phase 90 on the chorus and solo of Running With The Devil...
              Last edited by oilpit; 06-25-2011, 04:38 PM.
              Originally posted by jcthejester13
              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Before this descends into silliness - Pitbull seriously if this is so core to your journey as a guitarist why dont you phone the custom shop and ask them to wind you the pickup from the VH1 period? Honestly, noone here or even Ed himself can tell you what it was exactly, but the guy with his name on this company and website will have a pretty darn good idea.

I mean its likely gonna be $160 and job done - you can explain your playing style, pick attack etc and they can tune the pickup to get you there.

The problem will be when you plug in you will still sound like you. Ed has said this numerous times, as have other iconic guitarists like beck, clapton and angus : when other guitarists plug into their rig they cant understand where the signature tone went. The EVH playing style is one of the hardest things to nail becuase of his skill, unique timing and musicality, and even then in all the live recordings I've ever heard he has never really sounded like VH1 either.

However if your goal is to get your post count up in this forum...pray continue with the ghost chasing, but dont be surprised when folks get hacked off with it.
                "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Comment

Seriously guys, this is a bit silly.

Check out Pete Thorn's videos, and tell me he has not coped EVH cold.

Both Dave Friedman and John Suhr have had Ed's '68 plexi in their hands, and it was stock.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Ayrton and oilpit you guys need to go watch more scooby doo you have no clue.Pete thorn,EVH tone nailed cold,give me what you two are on I need to trip alittle like you two,is it fun,also Im not nitro.Phase 90 on running with the devil????? Ive heard it all now.It looks like you have no clue what so ever about the different van halen tones especially the van halen 1 sound,go back and listen to the running with the devil track that Ed Hunter posted.Pete thorn doesnt come close to that sound.Im dealing with air heads here,many have told me not to post any van halen threads here because of people like the two and others who post here,I can see why.Phase 90 all that gain....What a joke.Ayrton you believe john suhr and friedman,woooooooooowwwwwwwww.
                    Last edited by pittbull; 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Pittbull,

There are a COUNTLESS number of videos on youtube of people nailing the VH1 tone.....They all do it with different guitars and pickups, but you know what 95% of them have in common? they are playing through a Marshall plexi or plexi-clone amp.

The secret is in the plexi (and the hands)...not a magical pickup. Any PAF type or "hot" PAF typ of pickup into a plexi will get you 90% of the way there. The rest is in your hands and technique

/thread
                      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Can you point out to me chris the clips that you have heard on youtube that achieve the van halen 1 sound(first album tone),I have listen to many clips on youtube and none come close to that.Listen to the iso clip of running with the devil that Ed Hunter posted,they dont come close to that.Then you have guys posting that talk about john suhr and dave friedman saying that the amp was stock,them two didint see Eds plexi until the 90s when it was back to stock values.Jose areendondo was Eddie's main amp guy in the 70s and 80s Jose did install a master volume to Eds main plexi plus other things.A MXR Phase 90 will not give you the gain-edge as some are discribing,no way...Ive also notice the insult throwers,they have no knowledge or clue about this subject so they throw out the insults because they just dont know,thats to bad.The insult throwers have no interest in this subject they need to go watch more cartoons.
                        Last edited by pittbull; 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Can you point out to me chris the clips that you have heard on youtube that achieve the van halen 1 sound(first album tone),I have listen to many clips on youtube and none come close to that.Listen to the iso clip of running with the devil that Ed Hunter posted,they dont come close to that.Then you have guys posting that talk about john suhr and dave friedman saying that the amp was stock,them two didint see Eds plexi until the 90s when it was back to stock values.Jose areendondo was Eddie's main amp guy in the 70s and 80s Jose did install a master volume to Eds main plexi plus other things.A MXR Phase 90 will not give you the gain-edge as some are discribing,no way...Ive also notice the insult throwers,they have no knowledge or clue about this subject so they throw out the insults because they just dont know,thats to bad.The isult throwers have no interest in this subject they need to go watch more cartoons.

ill see if i can dig up those vids
                          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Chris,why,there are none,but if you want to go ahead.

Comment

PITTBULL -

YOU WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED!
                              YOU WILL NEVER SOUND EXACTLY LIKE EVH!
                              YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A MENACE WHO CAN'T ACT CONSIDERATELY TO OTHER'S INPUT, OPINIONS AND IDEAS ON THE TOPICS THAT YOU INSIST ON BRINGING UP IN PUBLIC FORUMS!!!

-----

Perhaps you need a quick dictionary definition to refresh your memory about what a "forum" is:

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/Noun

1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

-----

You somehow feel that you are the only one who is right, despite never having achieved this "magical" tone yourself!

Give it up! You're killing the dream...killing it...for ALL of us!

QUIT POSTING CRAP AND GO PLAY YOUR GUITAR!

Comment

Ayrton and oilpit you guys need to go watch more scooby doo you have no clue.Pete thorn,EVH tone nailed cold,give me what you two are on I need to trip alittle like you two,is it fun,also Im not nitro.Phase 90 on running with the devil????? Ive heard it all now.It looks like you have no clue what so ever about the different van halen tones especially the van halen 1 sound,go back and listen to the running with the devil track that Ed Hunter posted.Pete thorn doesnt come close to that sound.Im dealing with air heads here,many have told me not to post any van halen threads here because of people like the two and others who post here,I can see why.Phase 90 all that gain....What a joke.Ayrton you believe john suhr and friedman,woooooooooowwwwwwwww.
                                Originally posted by nitro from the Dimarzio forum
                                I dont post on the Duncan site,another assumtion.Ive heard Vholoics clips, on the van halen 1 songs he's using a 5150 combo amp which is a very high gain amp,a duncan 59 would be a great chose since its a low output pickup going into a high gain amp.As for Eds van halen 1 tone you said it has been done,where,its been done once on the first album.And if you want to believe what Frank said about the EVH replica pickup that he cant talk about certain things about the pickup well go right ahead and believe the marketing BS.
                                Clearly different people wrote these posts, they share NO similarities!!!
                                Originally posted by jcthejester13
                                Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                                X