User Group Day - Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User Group Day - Your Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Thank you to Evan and Dewi and everyone else at Duncan for setting up a great User Group Day. Everyone who attended was treated like a star. Thank you very much for everything. You guys are real pros.

Comment

Congrats, Joe! Full report on those Brobuckers when you get them installed and of course the amp.

Comment

I had a great time at the SD UGD event yesterday. There are a lot of folks working at SD making things for musicians, and I was amazed at all of the steps that go into making a guitar pickup. The factory tour was really informative, and I really enjoyed that. Seymour had a lot of great stories to tell and information to share. The opportunity to tour the custom shop was great as well with MJ sharing some interesting info.

The R&D session upstairs with the engineering guys provided a much better understanding of all the steps and hard work it takes to develop, test, prototype, market and sell guitar pedals. The next time I head out to a music store and see all those SD pickups, pedals, and components in a display case, I feel like I'll have a greater awareness and understanding of the efforts that took place to make these things available.

And the wind your own pickup activity was FANTASTIC! Highly recommended for the next SD UGD.

Thank you for a great event.

-Peter
        Last edited by infrared72; 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          and I never win anything.
          Dude, you're always winning something...lol. You won a door prize at the amp show, and you've won a couple of things from that surf shack place down the road from you. Maybe you haven't won anything as nice at that amp, but you've sure as hell won alot more stuff than I have as far as raffles/door prizes or whatever goes.

Comment

we want to hear about the jam - high points? surprises? funny stuff? c'mon fill us in!!
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
              we want to hear about the jam - high points? surprises? funny stuff? c'mon fill us in!!
              High points:
              Gearjoneser rocking ZZ Top to perfection on rhythym/lead guitars & vocals

Surprises:
              Evan can sing and sing really well.
              Frank can rip on slide guitar.
              Seymour is an amazing guitar player. He has this trademark move, kind of like Dimebag's squeal, that when you hear it you know it's Seymour. It's this choppy time thing, like he's hitting a killswitch really quickly, but he's not. It's all in his picking. It's a really cool move!
              Cathy Duncan is super nice and was an awesome host.

Funny:
              MJ razzing Seymour to play one of the TeleGib reissues. Finally Seymour gives in, picks up the guitar and plugs in, and there's no sound. "Frank, you didn't hook up the pickups? Wow! This is embarrassing... Frank, I want to see you in my office Monday morning." It was really funny.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                This!!!!! This!!!!!

Comment

Did anybody get any video??

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Evan,
                    Thanks for the opportunity for us to go to the factory. I had a great time. I was amazed by how big of an operation you guys have in that one building. My thought before going to the factory was "Why do they charge $80 for pickups?" and after the factory visit was "How do they only charge $80 for pickups?" I guess you make your profit in quantity because that was seriously an expensive operation we were looking at.

The Q&A with Seymour was awesome. He's such a down-to-earth guy. I guess I always thought Seymour would have a rockstar persona since he has been so vital to the sound of rock n roll. Nope, not at all. You get the impression that he's grateful how things have transpired and the relationships he's truly valued with Les Paul & Seth Lover. And man, does he have a ton of stories. It's like opening a music encyclopedia, but it's been his storied life. Crazy! He signed the pickup I wound and The Pickup Handbook I brought. That is a treasured book given the majority of the content is about Seymour and here I have it signed by Seymour himself and Warren!

Warren was also very unassuming. He just joined the group like the rest of us. No elitist, rockstar attitude there. I was waiting for him to take the stage at the jam session, but unfortunately he didn't. That would have been awesome though! Also kept thinking, I should have bought a Warren DeMartini pickup and had him sign it. That would have been an unusual & collectible pickup. Too bad I thought of it once they closed up the garage sale.

I also met Ray, the production floor manager. It was neat hearing him talk about the process. All the reports he watches daily to see how they're doing. Hopefully, they can get some computers in there for you Ray, so your reports can be automated and not so manual! Also, cool to hear that the machines we wound our pickups on were brand new. He said they just set them up this week!

And last but definitely not least, Dewi: thanks for all your hardwork! You made this possible by doing all the leg work. It was noticed & appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                      Seymour is an amazing guitar player. He has this trademark move ... It's this choppy time thing, like he's hitting a killswitch really quickly, but he's not. It's all in his picking. It's a really cool move!
                      yup, i know the exact thing you are referring to ... we all asked about it after the last UGD ... evan asked seymour to help us by describing how to do it ... evan transcribed what seymour said into a post on this forum .. no idea how you would search for that post now though ... it has to do with downstroking the thumb and rolling the index and middle fingers upstroke - all on the same string - there is a bit of muting and 'pulling/snapping' to get it just right ... one can roughly approximate it with a flatpick, but it doesnt have the same quality ... its really hard (for me, at least) to do reliably, but when i get it, i always grin .. you have to get a quarter note triplet thing going ... it almost reminds me of being a guitar technique analogous to the purdie shuffle on drums
                      Last edited by tone4days; 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM.
                      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I now know the regret many of you experienced by not going to UGD1. Wish I'd been there. Glad it was a success.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Hey guys! I don't even know where to begin...The first step is probably getting home! I won't have anything significant until Sunday night but look out then.

Zephyr - OMG....
                          Seymour
                          Custom shop artifacts
                          Evan's Gretsch (played it!!!)
                          Winding pups
                          Warren D
                          The [can't discuss - top secret]
                          Jam Awesomeness
                          Seymour's chops!
                          Frank's chops
                          MJ's chops at pup building
                          The factory
                          The food!!!!!
                          And Cathy, Dewi, and everyone else....

Each of these will need an entire post. Stay tuned!!!
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                            Funny:
                            MJ razzing Seymour to play one of the TeleGib reissues. Finally Seymour gives in, picks up the guitar and plugs in, and there's no sound.
                            He didn't want to play it because it had 10's on it. Poor MJ was just delivering the message from Cathy: "Give Seymour the TeleGib!" but earlier when he said he wasn't going to play his Schecter I tucked it away in the back and left it be. I didn't even tune it up. Turns out we put Zephyrs in it for a photo shoot. The photo doesn't care if the pickups are plugged in. LOL

Other moments:
                            Awesome: Kat Dyson ripping it up on guitar
                            Double Awesome: Jamming (lap steel) with Kat on bass, Joe Gore on the guitar.
                            Triple Awesome: The french fries. Seriously I'm not kidding around. They must have been cooked in MSG, chicken fat, and crack because they were amazing.

A very fun jam overall. Everyone played well together and we filled the whole street with some killer guitar tone!

Comment

I will second the fries and heard similar that comments from a number of individuals. I called my wife the next morning, and the fries made the report out of truly awesome events. She didn't quite get it, and I couldn't explain it. You had to be there.

They were like Zephyr Fries...crisp, clean, articulate. Everything about them was bigger.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This was an amazing event..Everything about it was so kool!.. A new appreciation for the work that goes into our pickups! The patience of MJ and her humor! How to pronounce Dewi's name! How nice Kathy is! What good food was served! Seymours playing..Evan, Frank and all the great players...And who can forget Ace Man in person...One kool dude! Thanks to all who made this possible..I have renewed brand loyalty!

Comment

Working...
                                X