User Group Day - Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User Group Day - Your Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Those fries were amazing...And those zepher pups...If a rich uncle dies, I"m in! Hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Comment

Turns out I have a little free time! Like I said, this will take multiple posts, and you'll have to wait for pics.

Got there right about 9. Many bro's had already filled the loading dock area. Most importantly - coffee & donuts!

For those of you who went last time and didn't return - WTF? for those of you who didn't go - oh man. There are not words to describe what you missed!

This is quite simply one of the most awesome gear and music experiences ever! It was like being one of those people who got shrunk and shot into that dudes body in that 70's movie - except you were getting injected into the heart of tone!

Like i said - I'll be posting responeses and general stuff for days about this....so stay tuned.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        They were like Zephyr Fries...crisp, clean, articulate. Everything about them was bigger.
        Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        This is quite simply one of the most awesome gear and music experiences ever! It was like being one of those people who got shrunk and shot into that dudes body in that 70's movie - except you were getting injected into the heart of tone!.

Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Zephyr Pickups are TRULY AMAZING. I take back anything you may be able to find using the search function on this forum. Let's leave the price issue out of it for a moment...

The very first session I went to was Frank's secret den of awesome tone machines. One of the things we did there was listen to some Zephrys. This was not a GC listening experience. Frank had two strats and two single cuts (Larivee's). These guitars were made from the SAME slabs of wood. On the strats you could see where the grain matched up. Everything about these guitars was as close to exactly the same as possible. They were played through the same amp (Mesa, if i remember correctly.)

In one guitar of each pair was the Zephyr. In the other, was a pickup made exactly the same as the Zephyr, except with 'normal' pickup materials. So we got to listen to a Real Zephyr, and a Mock Zephyr (bridge and Neck, singles and buckers).

To start with - the mock zephyr was pretty nice sounding. Wouldn't have minded having those. It was a good sounding strat and a good sounding single cut.

But when he switched to the Zephyr's - just WOW. It was like going from regular TV to High def, or really good 3-D. I tought it was like the difference between a decent sound and after someone put it through an Exciter. Except there wasn't an Exciter.

I was still thinking about these driving home. Now - about the price. As you all know, I'm a price-performance guy. A GOOD $15 bottle of wine is way more valuable to me than an AMAZING $150 bottle of wine. Same with most things (like amps and guitars). However, not everything. I happen to have a Nakamichi stereo. It was monster expensive. No price performance compromise there. It cost a lot. However - it is monster awesome. I think that describes the Zephyrs. They are the Nakamichi of Pickups.

The were clearly more defined, more crisp, more dense sounding. I didn't play them, but Frank, and others who did play them said they were phenominally responsive. Same kind of response, clean or dirty.

I am reminded of when I first heard of Yngwie, and couldn't believe he was that good. After I actually heard him - sudden total reversal of opinion. Same here.

I don't know if they are my tone - I'd have to listen to them up against my favorite pickups. But there is no denying how amazing they sounded. You had to be there. If you EVER get a chance to hear a pair - and it's not likely you'll hear them in this kind of setting, try and do it.
          Last edited by Aceman; 08-29-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post

No Evan, thank YOU, and Seymour, and MJ, and Cathy, and Dewi, and everybody!

Comment

Man... I wish that I didn't live in Missouri!!!!! Sounds like you guys had an awesome time!!!
              Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Truly awesome moment, that really put things in perspective:

During the session with seymour, he was talking about how Les Paul took him to see Roy Buchanan. He saw Roy do this crying wail/sight sort of move working the volume and bending at the same time. So, just think about how long ago we are talking here. Les Paul taking a young Seymour to see an up and coming Roy Buchanan.

Then, in the middle of the jam, Seymour was playing did that move, and made that exact sound. Just amazing to hear Seymour talk about being around those guys once upon a time to me - and then just hear coming right out of the amp.

And that plucky/clicky/tremolo sounding thing Seymour rocks was pretty cool too!

Comment

For all of you VH this pickup fans. At the end of the Factory tour, Evan turned us over to MJ in the Custom shop. I know it's Seymour's House - but that was definitely MJ's room!

She went to a cabinet and pulled out something awesome: The original EVH Frankenstein prototype. There a couple of pictures here and there showing Ed with MJ in there. So, I have finally learned THE ULTIMATE SECRET to the VH sound as it relates to pickups.

SHUT UP and let MJ make it for you. THAT is what EDDIE did. I saw the pickup, I saw the pictures, MJ told the story. The end. Now - can we stop posting threads about how the dye in the plastic on the bobbin was blah blah blah.....

Everything you have ever heard about MJ is true. She is just awesome. I'm not sure how she is if someone doesn't listen to her. I didn't see anyone not listen to her the whole time we were there. Fortunately she mostly told us to eat or play!
                  Last edited by Aceman; 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Frank played Jesse's Girl on a pink strat and danced with me briefly. I'm not sure what that means. He was upset that I tried to lead.

Comment

Ladies & gents, you would be hard pressed to meet a nicer bunch of folks. This is truly a one of a kind company. You would have to see it to believe it. Extremely high quality products made by people who really care about what goes out to the consumer. This is what American manufacturing was all about when Detroit was putting out the 55 Chevys, Cadillacs and T-birds that became classics "back in the day". You can still find it here in Santa Barbara at Seymour Duncan. That's what I got out of the visit. Thanks big time to Seymour, Cathy, MJ, Evan, Dewi and engineering wizard Kevin Beller for making us all feel right at home. For us guitar/pedal geeks and tone hounds, this was a walk on the clouds. How cool is this? Seymour signed a set of Live Wires that I received from MJ during the visit! Unreal! Are you kidding me? They are going in my USA Handmade 2001 BC Rich ASAP. I'm pretty stoked to say the least. [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

The table of Duncan Goodies was just fantastic. All kinds of neat things. I picked up a JB - which i have never owned, and for $28, I think I'll be putting a Blackout in my Vendetta project!
                        Last edited by Aceman; 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckthruwarlock View Post
                          Ladies & gents, you would be hard pressed to meet a nicer bunch of folks. This is truly a one of a kind company. You would have to see it to believe it. Extremely high quality products made by people who really care about what goes out to the consumer. This is what American manufacturing was all about when Detroit was putting out the 55 Chevys, Cadillacs and T-birds that became classics "back in the day". You can still find it here in Santa Barbara at Seymour Duncan. That's what I got out of the visit.
                          That was a GREAT comment and deep insight. Thanks for re-posting it. I'm a business consultant, and I'm going to be using this as an example of how it's done right, including that quote.

Gibson, of course, continues to provide excellent counter examples....

Comment

42 posts and only two of them have pics? Come on guys, I'm still kicking myself for not being able to make it. I would've had MJ wind me a s deco patb and have Seymour's sig on it.
                            Last edited by Got_tone?; 08-27-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Excuse me - as soon as I Fly from LA to Tampa - I'll have some pics up!

Comment

Super cool stories. I'm friggin' level 9 jelly here.

Aceman, sleep with one eye open. The EVH folks that perpetuate the conspiracies are gonna whisk you away tonight. WE CAN'T BE HAVING DEFINITIVE PROOF LIKE THAT COME ON.

Comment

Working...
                                X