Clear All

Re: User Group Day - Your Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Aceman just told me an interesting story about his UGD pickup.....lol

Comment

Production Floor:

Comment

Here's a bunch of pics from my wife's phone. The quality is grainy, but on some I kinda like that effect.

Warren Demartini & Seymour

GJ & Evan Skopp

GJ & Evan's Crazy Heart Gretsch

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckthruwarlock View Post
          Ladies & gents, you would be hard pressed to meet a nicer bunch of folks. This is truly a one of a kind company. You would have to see it to believe it. Extremely high quality products made by people who really care about what goes out to the consumer. This is what American manufacturing was all about when Detroit was putting out the 55 Chevys, Cadillacs and T-birds that became classics "back in the day". You can still find it here in Santa Barbara at Seymour Duncan. That's what I got out of the visit.
          That's the truth. As a matter of fact, when I was at the Saturday picnic, there was a vintage late 50's Cadillac in metallic light blue in the lot, which I should have photographed.....killer car! Does anyone know who's it was?
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

UGD was great this time around, even better than I thought it would be! Here's
            a few shots I took--my camera was acting up, so probably every third photo
            got messed up.

Excited crowd of SD Forum members waiting to the event to start:

Evan greeting the members and laying out the day's events:

Seymour welcoming the Forum members and looking good in his SD apron!

Since we got to pick and the choose each session and its schedule, I started
            with the factory tour with Evan:

One of the custom winding areas:

5 minutes into the tour, I was paged to go to the Custom Shop to meet with MJ!

I had opted to wind my own SPB-3 (Quarter Pound for P-Bass) pickup. I didn't get to
            wind my own last time, so this was a pretty cool experience! MJ walked me through
            the process on this machine in the Custom Shop:

After I completed the winding and soldering phases, I rejoined the tour in progress
            while MJ did the wax potting of my SPB-3:

I returned to the factory tour, with Evan describing each of the processes in creating
            a pickup. I didn't get a lot of pics for this, hopefully someone else will have some to post:

Closer view of the wax potting machine:

A batch of Quarter Pounders ready for the next phase:

P-Bass pickups being wound simultaneously on a normal production winder:

One of the things set up for us was the chance to try out different pickups. This
            arrangement was set up outside for this purpose:

Lunch was set up outside in the basketball court next to the factory:

I spotted this gentleman talking to Evan when I was getting my drink (Warren DeMartini, in case you didn't know!):

We also had an opportunity to purchase some b-stock pedals and lots of different pickups!

Dinner and jam down by the ocean in downtown Santa Barbara:

Our intinerary include some time to drink and mingle before we started eating. Here's Aceman and Seymour:

MikeRocker and more Forum members (sorry, I missed/forgot a LOT of people's names! :

The awesome french fries everyone's been praising in this thread (I agree,
            they were unusually delicious) came from this truck, along with the rest of
            our food (bahn mi tacos and sandwiches, etc.)!

After dinner, the drums were brought in and setup for the jam:

Awesome rhythm section of Donna Eveland (drums) and Jill Avery (bass):

Some familiar Forum members enjoying the festivities:

Fabian on the left,and again, I apologize for not knowing the gentleman on the right:

Anabel, Gearjoneser (Joe) and Robert the left handed bass player:

Robert played bass and sang a few tunes as well!

Dirtbagg (Dave) tuning up before joining the jam:

Ronny North (left) with another gentleman I didn't meet, but had a great voice!

Ronny's guitar from Ed Roman's:

MJ enjoying the music and looking muy linda:

Duncan VP of Engineering Kevin Beller on the right—he sold me my first bass
            30 years ago!

When the lights were turned down during the jam, none of my shots were coming
            up--here's a couple that are closer to legible.

Seymour with his Schecter guitar (with Duncan pickups, of course):

Joe Gore (former Senior Editor at Guitar Player magazine) jamming onstage with Kat Dyson (not shown):

The jam with Joe Gore was one of the highlights for me--unique playing and sound! I don't know
            what the tune was, but in the middle of it, he and Kat swapped instruments so that she could
            play guitar and Joe could play bass!

Warren and Seymour:

This was another memorable event from a great company for their many "fans"--can't really
            call them customers, as it goes a lot deeper than that. Besides the products, the people that
            make up Seymour Duncan the company are what make it special--and are an awesome
            example of what happens when a company consistently exceeds their customers' expectations!

Thanks again to Seymour, Cathy, Evan, Dewi, Saulina, Kevin, Frank, MJ and everyone else for putting
            this together!
            Last edited by Great_Kazoo; 08-28-2011, 05:05 AM. Reason: too many typos...cuz it's 4 AM

Comment

^ Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Comment

The important thing was that I got my pickup back! I'll post the whole story tonight.

See you at 11pm Eastern!!!! The awesome of this event is just not wearing off.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Looks like it was a great time. I wish I could have went. Seeing Warren there is awesome. I would have been starstruck for a little bit. He's one of my guitar heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Frank played Jesse's Girl on a pink strat and danced with me briefly. I'm not sure what that means. He was upset that I tried to lead.
                    First of all it's LAVENDER. I have a pink strat, this was not it. Now, we all know it takes a real man to play a pink (or lavender) guitar, so that should speak to your second part. Finally, you'll have to come to terms with how all of that makes you feel Brosephine. LOL

Comment

Good stuff! I was fortunate enough to attend a couple of similar events at the PRS factory (though we didn't get to build our own!) and they were a blast. Would love to make it out for UGD some time but the last couple years I've had July trips to SoCal for Guitar Workshop. That makes it hard to justify another 1000mi trip in August.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

Fantastic!
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Time for my special thanks to those behind the scenes, which included the company picnic the following day. It was great to see some UGD attendees there. People like Dewi, Saulina, Andreina, Rosario, Kellie et al doing all sorts of things unnoticeable to the attendee. Scott O. was filming the stream, James Garza and the rest of the sales team prepared that awesome demo area outside, some donating their own personal instruments to the cause. Alex S helping get the pedalboards prepared and finding all the cables.

Derek Duncan was a madman. There must have been clones of him because he was everywhere, keeping all the plates spinning. Joe Gore and Boomer stringing up guitars late into Thursday night so you guys could hear our pickups in all their glory. Ray for working the floor through the wind your own pickup and factory tours. Way to go everyone, and thanks to the UGD attendees, because your greatness IS what made it so great. It confirms what a stellar community we have here, and why I joined years ago (never imagining one day I would BE here)

Comment

About my not going....

Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                            Guitar to sound output:
                            Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Awesome pics!

Comment

I have a pic of the Frankenstein pickup from the factory tour a couple of years ago. I'll post it if no one else has one (and if I can get to my PC).
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X