• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: You'll Never Guess

EDIT: UPDATED with CLIP

EDIT 2: Updated with High Gain clip

I just bought a guitar.

You know how I've been seeking that "clunk," that beautiful "knock" sound?

I have posted a thread in the amp room searching for a lovely, warm british style amp, but I had a revelation while playing every guitar I own last night.

I was playing each one, turning all the knobs, and I realized there was one thing, so obvious, right there in front of me that was missing. Something so common that it's baffling I didn't think of it sooner.

And it's not the amp. That 6L6 DeVille is just fine.

In the search for my sound, I went to 3 guitar stores today, and played approximately 13,927 guitars. Then I played the 13,928th, and I thought to myself,

"Oh, duh."

So I bought it.

-Hunter
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Re: NGD: You'll Never Guess

CONGRATS....you've been talkin about LPs for a while. Nice color choice. I hope to have a white custom someday!

Enjoy!

Comment

Nice. I wonder how it compares to an Agile?
      Whats it weigh? One thing about the Agiles is they are Boat Anchors.
      Agiles also have the Jumbo frets, probably about 6105 size, and a very flat radius.
      White Pauls look nice.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

oh duh is right

The Les Paul is THE guitar.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

That's so damn sexy I don't even give a **** about the headstock shape.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

It's remarkably light; they had another Epiphone Les Paul Custom in there (plus top) that was heavy and a dud, which is a shame because it was good looking.

This one was way lighter. About like my PRS Soapy.

Real talk: I didn't want an Epiphone. I still don't. I have an Epiphone Dot, and it's shortcomings are remarkably annoying to me.

I also always "shop with your hands and ears, not your eyes," and I upheld that today.

I won't write you a sonnet about how this is the best Epiphone on earth, or how it's the one exception thats as good as a Gibson.

It's not.

But on the first strum, I said "holy sh!t," out loud, and I have a policy that when that happens, you buy it, no matter the price, model, manufacturer, or condition.

It has the sound that I want, and that was the goal.

To be honest, I really wanted a desert burst or amber burst Gibson, and I have the money, but this guitar nailed the sound, feels good, and made me curse in public, so it's mine now.

I am slightly embarrassed that I didn't end up with "the real deal," since that is what I saved for.

I also didn't want to get married until I was 30, and I met the girl of my dreams when I was 16, and married her (after several years of being apart) at 23.

Sometimes something you think you didn't want jumps into your lap and says "HERE I AM MOTHAFUKCA, U MAD?"
            Last edited by ImmortalSix; 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Dude, nice!

The Epi LP Custom is the best Epi IMO. The only difficult decision is black or white (hint: both are sexxxay).

About a year ago, just as an experiment, I played every left-handed Les Paul in Vancouver's biggest guitar shop. There were about seven or eight I think, ranging from Epi Standards to an R7 goldtop. The winner, hands down, was an Epi Custom. It had that magical combination of playability and thundering tone.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

So you wanted El34s and ended up with humbuckers. Dude, if they made a reality TV show about you, I'd totally watch it.

That's a beauty, though. Congrats! Enjoy in good health.

Question: That first strum that caused your wildly inappropriate public profanity; was it unplugged or through an amp?

Anyway, I still think you should buy an Orange.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Nice score Bro!

You are halfway there to THAT tone
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Awesome!! Great looking! Dont think twice about the brand or the stock shape.. If it delivers the Expletive factor, its good!
                    Congrats!!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

looks cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                        So you wanted El34s and ended up with humbuckers. Dude, if they made a reality TV show about you, I'd totally watch it.

That's a beauty, though. Congrats! Enjoy in good health.

Question: That first strum that caused your wildly inappropriate public profanity; was it unplugged or through an amp?

Anyway, I still think you should buy an Orange.

A) Quote of the year in line 1!

B) My "HOLY SH!T" came after strumming unplugged. THe shopkeep asked me if I wanted to plug in (to a Roland Cube 60) and I said, "yes, but not right away," and I strummed a good old-fashioned 320033 G chord and said "holy sh!t!," because it just nailed what I have been thinking about, and trying to synthesize for so long.

My goal was plugged in tone, which it also nailed (I can't say this enough - the plugged in tone is what made the sale, truly); but the "a-ha" moment was unplugged. YMMV.

Comment

Congrats man, It looks great!
                          Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Nice acquisition!

Comment

And THAT my friends....is how you choose a guitar! nice one I6!
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X