X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: You'll Never Guess

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    A) Quote of the year in line 1!

B) My "HOLY SH!T" came after strumming unplugged. THe shopkeep asked me if I wanted to plug in (to a Roland Cube 60) and I said, "yes, but not right away," and I strummed a good old-fashioned 320033 G chord and said "holy sh!t!," because it just nailed what I have been thinking about, and trying to synthesize for so long.

My goal was plugged in tone, which it also nailed (I can't say this enough - the plugged in tone is what made the sale, truly); but the "a-ha" moment was unplugged. YMMV.
    If a guitar doesn't sound good unplugged, I put it back on the rack.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Nice one. I always liked the look of a white Custom.

I had the pleasure of playing a white Gibby LP Custom at as guitar show and it had the profanity factor in spades. Made me say just about every word in the book, twice. Once for the guitar sounding so damn good and once to my wallet for being so empty....LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        So you wanted El34s and ended up with humbuckers. Dude, if they made a reality TV show about you, I'd totally watch it.

That's a beauty, though. Congrats! Enjoy in good health.

Question: That first strum that caused your wildly inappropriate public profanity; was it unplugged or through an amp?

Anyway, I still think you should buy an Orange.

Dammit, Kam, are you the most sigged guy here, cause I have to sig that one.

I6, nice work. That guitar is hot. Do you have any plans for the electronics? Maybe some Seths or something nutso? Or just stock and upgrade the harness?
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

'atta boy
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiii*inhales*iiiiiiiice.

Comment

Everyone: yes. Thank you.

ratherdashing: glad tyou have had good experiences with these. The headstock of this one is stamped "USED," and the serial number is a sticker; a copper background and black numbers - no letters. It's dubious at best. I entered the number (311517043, I ain't shy) into every Epiphone serial number decoder on the net and all of them said my number was unintelligible.

The pawn shop I bought it from (MOJO +100) told me a story about how they have a contract with some company that refurbishes guitars, and that this one came to them directly after a refurbish at Gibson HQ in Nashville (which I do not believe at all), and that all of their refurbs are guaranteed as if new / have never been "owned."

That is very obviously shullbit, as the gold plating on this guitar's tailpiece is very worn, the pickups are aged, and there is buckle rash on the back and dings in a few spots. It's nothing if not a plain old used guitar.
              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I'd say its a Chinese fake, but I don't think they make fakes of Epiphones, do they?
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

trevorus: exactly. I want to do gold covered Seths in this one. I have not played it plugged in enough to know what its natural tonal characteristics are yet - maybe 30 minutes so far of plugged in time, but I have to let that guide my decision. But I want god old fashioned Les Paul tone, and I think Seths would be good for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    I'd say its a Chinese fake, but I don't think they make fakes of Epiphones, do they?
                    I can't imagine anyone would. I'll send high quality pictures of the headstock, the stamp, and the obviously-not-stock serial number tomorrow.

Anyways, whoever made it did a great job. It makes me smile when I play it.

Comment

I can't imagine anyone would. I'll send high quality pictures of the headstock, the stamp, and the obviously-not-stock serial number tomorrow.
                      Doesn't matter. we are too busy chasing the absolute tone here to actually play any of our guitars much anyway. Look at me. I own 20,000 worth of the finest gear money can buy, and i haven't played any of it to any appreciable extent ever. Just enought to check out a pedal or to evaluate and dial in a guitar I've put together. Nice guitar. get the perfect new pickups after painstaking research, get it set up with all the best parts , and put it in the closet.
                      Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some more tone-seeking to do.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Doesn't matter. we are too busy chasing the absolute tone here to actually play any of our guitars much anyway. Look at me. I own 20,000 worth of the finest gear money can buy, and i haven't played any of it to any appreciable extent ever. Just enought to check out a pedal or to evaluate and dial in a guitar I've put together. Nice guitar. get the perfect new pickups after painstaking research, get it set up with all the best parts , and put it in the closet.
                        Don't project your neuroses onto the rest of us.
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Now it all makes sense. You're on the upcoming New Episode of Hoarding: Buried Alive.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                            Don't project your neuroses onto the rest of us.
                            Thanks. Actually needed that slap in the face. I do hope to reach a point soon where I quit posting and start playing. i actually think I'm doing quite legitimate tone seeking here though for now. I've got to have everything in order..yeah, neurotic.
                            Anyway..you've got to be somewhat into it too, otherwise you'd be playing right now, instead of here.
                            Back to your guitar, I like it and its getting good ratings.pPay the hell out of it!
                            Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-30-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

A) Quote of the year in line 1!
                              Thanks, man.

B) My "HOLY SH!T" came after strumming unplugged. THe shopkeep asked me if I wanted to plug in (to a Roland Cube 60) and I said, "yes, but not right away," and I strummed a good old-fashioned 320033 G chord and said "holy sh!t!," because it just nailed what I have been thinking about, and trying to synthesize for so long.

My goal was plugged in tone, which it also nailed (I can't say this enough - the plugged in tone is what made the sale, truly); but the "a-ha" moment was unplugged. YMMV.
                              This is excellent. I heartily endorse this sort of behavior. Especially the cursing.

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                              Dammit, Kam, are you the most sigged guy here, cause I have to sig that one.
                              Ha! I actually have no idea, man. I haven't kept count or anything. I've been sigged a few times, I guess. I'll admit, my ego gets a little kick out of it whenever it does happen. Thanks, man.

I can't imagine anyone would.
                              Actually, they do. We've had a few threads here about it. From what I've seen, it's been mostly the more obscure ones like the Zakk Wylde sig, or whatever. I have no idea if anyone's making copies of Epi LP Customs, though.

Not that it really matters, at this point. Sounds like you got a killer guitar, no matter where it came from.
                              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Cool score bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X