NGD: You'll Never Guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGD: You'll Never Guess

I use .10s on pretty much everything. Check out the GHS David Gilmour sets. There's two; one designed for Strats and one for Les Pauls. They sound good and in my opinion, don't feel as stiff as D'adds anyway.

If you just want a slinkier feel, try top-wrapping that tail-piece.

Or, if you don't want to waste the fresh strings you just put on, try simply raising it to lessen the break angle over the bridge.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Re: NGD: You'll Never Guess

Originally posted by Kam View Post
      I use .10s on pretty much everything. Check out the GHS David Gilmour sets. There's two; one designed for Strats and one for Les Pauls. They sound good and in my opinion, don't feel as stiff as D'adds anyway.

If you just want a slinkier feel, try top-wrapping that tail-piece.

Or, if you don't want to waste the fresh strings you just put on, try simply raising it to lessen the break angle over the bridge.
      Great tips - thank you.

I don't know much about Tune-O-Matics --- I only have 1 other, on my Dot, and I replaced it with a Wilkinson roller bridge. I did notice that the tension was lesser when top-wrapped. I top wrapped all 6 strings on that one for about a year, but nowadays I only top wrap the G.

I also had the stop bar way high, for a very slight breakover angle, but figured out that the sustain and punch were very, very noticeably better when it was cranked down low for a more severe breakover angle.

I always use 10s because I have a heavy touch, and smaller strings give me a problem where they deform to much with my heavy grip: read: in tune open, sharp when fretted, because I push down so hard. 10s can resist it, 9s cant.

I have no clue what I'm going to do, just thinking out loud Thanks Kam
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Awesome!! Great looking! Dont think twice about the brand or the stock shape.. If it delivers the Expletive factor, its good!
        Congrats!!
        Quoted for truth!!!

Congrats man, refurb or not, it's a seksy looking axe and if you liked it eyes closed and ears peeled then that is all that matters
        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
          What gauge strings do most of you run on Les Pauls?

I just put 10s on, and it actually feels stiffer to me than a Strat / Tele with 10s.

I always / only use D'Addario EXL110s, I have a 50 pack of them or something ridiculous, but I am thinking of going to 9.5s on this guitar --- anybody who plays both Fenders and Gibsons care to chime in?
          Great tips - thank you.

I don't know much about Tune-O-Matics --- I only have 1 other, on my Dot, and I replaced it with a Wilkinson roller bridge. I did notice that the tension was lesser when top-wrapped. I top wrapped all 6 strings on that one for about a year, but nowadays I only top wrap the G.

I also had the stop bar way high, for a very slight breakover angle, but figured out that the sustain and punch were very, very noticeably better when it was cranked down low for a more severe breakover angle.

I always use 10s because I have a heavy touch, and smaller strings give me a problem where they deform to much with my heavy grip: read: in tune open, sharp when fretted, because I push down so hard. 10s can resist it, 9s cant.

I have no clue what I'm going to do, just thinking out loud Thanks Kam
          The original spec for the stop bar tailpiece was to have it make the break angle over the bridge match the one on the neck...17 on the first Gibbys, and 14 on certain later models.

I always used the EB Power slinky set from .011 to .050. Like you, I pick and fret the guitar pretty heavily, and the 11s don't go out of tune like 10s and 9s did for me.

And, even though that clip sounds good, I still think you'd most benefit from some old Ampeg amp. The mids are more forward and warm on them than most Fenders, and your style would shine with the extra warmth. An older Gemini, Murcury, or Reverberocket would fit the bill.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
            The original spec for the stop bar tailpiece was to have it make the break angle over the bridge match the one on the neck...17 on the first Gibbys, and 14 on certain later models.

I always used the EB Power slinky set from .011 to .050. Like you, I pick and fret the guitar pretty heavily, and the 11s don't go out of tune like 10s and 9s did for me.

And, even though that clip sounds good, I still think you'd most benefit from some old Ampeg amp. The mids are more forward and warm on them than most Fenders, and your style would shine with the extra warmth. An older Gemini, Murcury, or Reverberocket would fit the bill.
            Ooh, good to know, on those breakover angles!

The 10s are perfect for how I usually play, but part of the fun of having a completely different type of guitar (Les Paul, as opposed to Strats and Teles for the past 15 years) is playing in a different style and feeling enabled to play things that didn't sound good or feel good on the other guitars.

So, basically, I feel like even though the guitar feels great right now, it would be fun to unleash myself from the first 5 frets and get on up the neck a little bit, and that feels better with slinkier strings.

I have considered 6V6 amps - a lot of Ampegs are 6V6, amirite?

Comment

Ooh, good to know, on those breakover angles!

The 10s are perfect for how I usually play, but part of the fun of having a completely different type of guitar (Les Paul, as opposed to Strats and Teles for the past 15 years) is playing in a different style and feeling enabled to play things that didn't sound good or feel good on the other guitars.

So, basically, I feel like even though the guitar feels great right now, it would be fun to unleash myself from the first 5 frets and get on up the neck a little bit, and that feels better with slinkier strings.

I have considered 6V6 amps - a lot of Ampegs are 6V6, amirite?
              There are a few. Most of the higher powered ones used 7591 and 7027A tubes after 1963. Probably not a whole lot of those left, but then again, there probably isn't much demand for them either. A good deal of them used 6L6GC tubes until their supply was limited around 1957, and then they used the EL37 in those amps.

The earlier Reverberocket (model R-12R) used 6V6GT tubes, as did the pre '63 Echo Twin (ET-1), The Dolphin l and ll, certain Jets, The Mercury and the Rocket.

Peggies used a lot of 6SN7 and 6SL7 preamp tubes, which have a greasier tone when overdriven ...good tones in those old Amegs.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM.
              - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

There are a few. Most of the higher powered ones used 7591 and 7027A tubes after 1963. Probably not a whole lot of those left, but then again, there probably isn't much demand for them either.

The earlier Reverberocket (model R-12R) used 6V6GT tubes, as did the pre '63 Echo Twin (ET-1), The Dolphin l and ll, certain Jets, The Mercury and the Rocket.

Peggies used a lot of 6SN7 and 6SL7 preamp tubes, which have a greasier tone when overdriven ...good tones in those old Amegs.
                I found and played a SuperJet just last week, on your recommendation!

It wasn't for me, but it definitely had a vibe --- hard to describe.

Comment

What gauge strings do most of you run on Les Pauls?

I just put 10s on, and it actually feels stiffer to me than a Strat / Tele with 10s.
                  Those little frets on the Epis do that- they are much harder to play compared to the bigger frets on the USA models. Its a big issue I have with them because of my CTS/RSS, I cannot deal with the weeny frets, and most import guitars have that. IF you are used to a fender medium jumbo, they are wider, and taller than Epi frets.

The other reason is string length- high strings on a straight headstock are longer and easier to bend.

Slinkys def are slinky-as are the Classic R&Rs. So are DR PBs, and TFs. I'm personally digging Rotosounds lately on my Monaco-feel like a D'ad, but no mud or raspiness.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Those little frets on the Epis do that- they are much harder to play compared to the bigger frets on the USA models. Its a big issue I have with them because of my CTS/RSS, I cannot deal with the weeny frets, and most import guitars have that. IF you are used to a fender medium jumbo, they are wider, and taller than Epi frets.

The other reason is string length- high strings on a straight headstock are longer and easier to bend.

Slinkys def are slinky-as are the Classic R&Rs. So are DR PBs, and TFs. I'm personally digging Rotosounds lately on my Monaco-feel like a D'ad, but no mud or raspiness.
                    Great points and recommendations. I may have to try some slinky 10s, or another brand. Maybe they will slink up a little bit after I play them in. I only have about 3 or 4 hours on them right now.

Comment

i use ernie ball Power slinkies. perfect for what i need.
                      Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                      you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

I found and played a SuperJet just last week, on your recommendation!

It wasn't for me, but it definitely had a vibe --- hard to describe.
                        The new stuff is ok, but it's only a very distant cousin to the old stuff. Those 6SL7 into 7591 or 6V6GT amps have a tone of their own. Your style and new guitar are just begging for the mid range push they have.
                        - Tom

Comment

The new stuff is ok, but it's only a very distant cousin to the old stuff. Those 6SL7 into 7591 or 6V6GT amps have a tone of their own. Your style and new guitar are just begging for the mid range push they have.
                          Gotcha - thank you for the recommendation!

I will keep my ear to the ground at my local pawn shop / Craigslist - I am always up for trying something that could be "my sound."

Comment

I also didn't want to get married until I was 30
                            Same.

I met the girl of my dreams when I was 16,
                            Same.

and married her (after several years of being apart) at 23.
                            Same.

*Get's an LP and realizes that's what it's all about*
                            Same.

Let me help you save a lot of time, headaches, and searching. You're going to want to get a Marshall TSL 601. You'll love it but post every now and then about changing it (or at least the speaker inside). Eventually you'll start lusting after a Vox AC30CC2.

I never liked the idea of black guitars. So many options and looks out there, why would anyone get a dull black one? I then bought my Sheraton II and fell in love with it. Your white LP will grow on you
                            "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                            "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                            "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                            "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

I always knew we were brothers from another mother

Comment

Update: Just added a high gain clip by request:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom BOSS CS-3 Compressor VOX AD15VT on "NUMETAL" model (Mesa Rectifier) Blue Snowball microphone Reaper DAW No effects, no EQ, no nothing. Straight from the mic to your ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X