Your son is adorable.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Re: NGD: You'll Never Guess

Thanks - he loves guitars too. A good thing and a bad thing
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I use .010's on my strat, but on a shorter-scale guitar, I move down to 9's. I find the fun of a short-scale HB guitar versus a long-scale singe coil is that you can adjust your attack and take advantage of the easy bends and vibrato. I love that feeling on a les paul-style guitar where you park your left hand around the tenth fret, bend and vibrato like crazy, and barely pick the guitar, using a lot of muting and harmonics. Makes you feel like Billy Gibbons.

Comment

I might go to 9s, just for that reason --- if it's going to be different, it may as well be way different.

Unrelated / Slightly Related: All the clips I have recorded so far are super sloppy because I am not used to the slightly shorter scale - my fingers come down in the wrong spot and I lose my orientation an get all confused

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
              I might go to 9s, just for that reason --- if it's going to be different, it may as well be way different.

Unrelated / Slightly Related: All the clips I have recorded so far are super sloppy because I am not used to the slightly shorter scale - my fingers come down in the wrong spot and I lose my orientation an get all confused
              I feel the same way, but in reverse. I tried out a tele at the store and couldn't believe how 'wrong' it felt, and how wrong it sounded.
              "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
              "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
              "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
              "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Haha. I totally hear you on that one. Out of my two main guitars, one is 24" and one is 25.5" and I play both of them every day. The first ten or so minutes of playing one after putting the other one down is always ****ing terrible.
                I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

NGD: You'll Never Guess

Am I imagining things if I think 9s on a Gibson scale feel like 10s on a Fender scale? A friend of mine tried to tell me it should be the other way around.
                  Music: nickburman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    oh duh is right

The Les Paul is THE guitar.
                    Y'all keep saying this.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholaspaul View Post
                      Am I imagining things if I think 9s on a Gibson scale feel like 10s on a Fender scale? A friend of mine tried to tell me it should be the other way around.
                      your friend is right.

Comment

Phinn checkin' it out

If im not mistaken, I remember pictures of him as a newborn.

Seems like his dad is teaching him about the good things in life!

Liking Fenders sucks. All the Gibbys make fun of ya.

Comment

My guess is a Firebird.

I'm right, aren't I ?
                          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by nicholaspaul View Post
                            Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                            your friend is right.
                            I agree - shorter scale should have higher gauge strings to feel like a longer scale instrument --- BUT, my goal is not for them to feel similar.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                              If im not mistaken, I remember pictures of him as a newborn.

Seems like his dad is teaching him about the good things in life!

Liking Fenders sucks. All the Gibbys make fun of ya.
                              His favorite guitar is my Guild acoustic, probably because it makes the most noise when he bangs on it but he likes this one second most, because it is the brightest and shiniest.

I'm hoping that this will become his favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                                My guess is a Firebird.

I'm right, aren't I ?
                                Warm! You're pretty close!

Comment

Working...
                                X