100.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Dunlop Octavio vs. Fulltone Octafuzz

octafuzz
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Both are cool units...it really depends on what you are looking for.

FWIW, there are other great octave up/fuzz units too...I did a lot of searching for octavia type units until I was happy.

I'll give you the quick version...

-Roger Mayer Rocket Ship Octavia: Neat unit, I always liked the rocklet Ship shells and the tone of this unit is cool, it's more the Octavia sound Jimi used early on. Think Fire or Purple Haze...a low gain (less fuzz) fuzz with more or a woody upper octave...like a fuzzy flute, easier to use than many of the others in terms of getting it to track correctly.

Next is the Octafuzz, Proctavia, Chicago Iron Octavia(n): these are all in the same group because to my ear there is not a dollars worth of difference in them sonically. I got lucky and found all 3 at the same store, hooked them all up and went to town on a long A, B, C test. They all have the later Octavia sound like you hear on Band of Gypsys...more like a steel drum or a ring modulator type sound. They are a little harder to use in terms of getting it to track and getting a clear octave up sound and they have a LOT more fuzz on tap. Part of me wants to say that the Fulltone Octafuzz and the Chicago Iron Octavia(n) were slightly richer sounding that the Voodoo Labs but in fairness if they are it's by a VERY small margin and the truth is when dealing with a unit as unpredictable and as dependent on every single part of your playing as an octavia anything might sound great one second and just good the next...point is all 3 units were very good and very much sonded the same.

I wound up with the Fulltone for one big reason...the Octafuzz has an octave/fuzz switch that lets you kill off the octave up part and just use it as a fuzz so that made the unit more versatile end of story.

Dunlop Octavio: VERY SIMILAR to the Procavia, Octafuzz, Octivia(n) but a little more rude, crude and unpredictable but the basic tone was there.

I also had for a while a Foxrox Octron that was super cool, great analog sub octave like a Boss OC-2 but with better tracking and a tone control and an upper octave that sounds a lot like the Roger Mayer Rocket Ship but riche and fuller.

I also have a Fulltone Ultimate Octave that is a super hip unit, footswitchable fuzz with a footswitchable upper octave...it's not like any of these other pedals as all of them are based on the old Mayer Octavias and the Ultimate Octave is based on the Foxx Tone Machine so it is different but still good...FWIW, the Ultimate Octave has to be the easiest unit ever to get a good clean/clear upper octave from!

FWIW, there is also a reissue of the Foxx Tone Machine that is VERY good.

HBE has the UFO which is also based on the Foxx Tone Machine but sounds a little congested compared to the Ultimate Octave to me but still a good unit.

There is also the Roctavia from MJM, never tried one but based on clips it's very much like the Octafuzz, Proctavia, Octivia(n), etc.

ZVEX has a few as well, the Octane, Octane 2 and Octane 3 as well as the Johnny Octave...these are nothing like any of the other octave up units mentioned above and just have to be played...really amazing but different.

All this said, you have to know walking in the door that octavia and octave up fuzz units are rather odd ducks...the only really work on the neck pickup of your guitar and they only work if you play between the 9th and 15th fret give or take and both your right and left hand technique have to be very clean or you end up with more odd ball overtones than you do clear octave up sounds.

Also you need to know that if you have a modern highish gain sound with a lot of top end and presence these type pedals will be very harsh sounding.

Last note, if your currrent pedal chain has not been tweaked for use with old school effects it might require a little work...almost all of the units I named above will require a super strong signal fron your guitar...not hot pickups but with little or nothing between the guitar and the octavia and they will react poorly to havein buffers before them too...Boss pedals, Ibanez pedals even most modern Dunlop wah pedals will need to go after them in order to get a good, pure tone.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Both are cool units...it really depends on what you are looking for.

FWIW, there are other great octave up/fuzz units too...I did a lot of searching for octavia type units until I was happy.

I'll give you the quick version...

-Roger Mayer Rocket Ship Octavia: Neat unit, I always liked the rocklet Ship shells and the tone of this unit is cool, it's more the Octavia sound Jimi used early on. Think Fire or Purple Haze...a low gain (less fuzz) fuzz with more or a woody upper octave...like a fuzzy flute, easier to use than many of the others in terms of getting it to track correctly.

Next is the Octafuzz, Proctavia, Chicago Iron Octavia(n): these are all in the same group because to my ear there is not a dollars worth of difference in them sonically. I got lucky and found all 3 at the same store, hooked them all up and went to town on a long A, B, C test. They all have the later Octavia sound like you hear on Band of Gypsys...more like a steel drum or a ring modulator type sound. They are a little harder to use in terms of getting it to track and getting a clear octave up sound and they have a LOT more fuzz on tap. Part of me wants to say that the Fulltone Octafuzz and the Chicago Iron Octavia(n) were slightly richer sounding that the Voodoo Labs but in fairness if they are it's by a VERY small margin and the truth is when dealing with a unit as unpredictable and as dependent on every single part of your playing as an octavia anything might sound great one second and just good the next...point is all 3 units were very good and very much sonded the same.

I wound up with the Fulltone for one big reason...the Octafuzz has an octave/fuzz switch that lets you kill off the octave up part and just use it as a fuzz so that made the unit more versatile end of story.

Dunlop Octavio: VERY SIMILAR to the Procavia, Octafuzz, Octivia(n) but a little more rude, crude and unpredictable but the basic tone was there.

I also had for a while a Foxrox Octron that was super cool, great analog sub octave like a Boss OC-2 but with better tracking and a tone control and an upper octave that sounds a lot like the Roger Mayer Rocket Ship but riche and fuller.

I also have a Fulltone Ultimate Octave that is a super hip unit, footswitchable fuzz with a footswitchable upper octave...it's not like any of these other pedals as all of them are based on the old Mayer Octavias and the Ultimate Octave is based on the Foxx Tone Machine so it is different but still good...FWIW, the Ultimate Octave has to be the easiest unit ever to get a good clean/clear upper octave from!

FWIW, there is also a reissue of the Foxx Tone Machine that is VERY good.

HBE has the UFO which is also based on the Foxx Tone Machine but sounds a little congested compared to the Ultimate Octave to me but still a good unit.

There is also the Roctavia from MJM, never tried one but based on clips it's very much like the Octafuzz, Proctavia, Octivia(n), etc.

ZVEX has a few as well, the Octane, Octane 2 and Octane 3 as well as the Johnny Octave...these are nothing like any of the other octave up units mentioned above and just have to be played...really amazing but different.

All this said, you have to know walking in the door that octavia and octave up fuzz units are rather odd ducks...the only really work on the neck pickup of your guitar and they only work if you play between the 9th and 15th fret give or take and both your right and left hand technique have to be very clean or you end up with more odd ball overtones than you do clear octave up sounds.

Also you need to know that if you have a modern highish gain sound with a lot of top end and presence these type pedals will be very harsh sounding.

Last note, if your currrent pedal chain has not been tweaked for use with old school effects it might require a little work...almost all of the units I named above will require a super strong signal fron your guitar...not hot pickups but with little or nothing between the guitar and the octavia and they will react poorly to havein buffers before them too...Boss pedals, Ibanez pedals even most modern Dunlop wah pedals will need to go after them in order to get a good, pure tone.
        Awesome post!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
          Awesome post!
          Hope it is of some help.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

me too.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

interesting about the Fulltone, had i known it has a fuzz/octave switch i may have not purchased the Octavio..what kind of range does the Fulltone have in regards to fuzz?

Comment

Originally posted by xntrick View Post
                interesting about the Fulltone, had i known it has a fuzz/octave switch i may have not purchased the Octavio..what kind of range does the Fulltone have in regards to fuzz?
                About the same as the Octavio or Proctavia.

Comment

I dig that Fulltone, it simply sounds great and I can see myself adding that to a clean blues tune with some tremelo and fuzz and a neck pickup in a strat

Comment

Working...
                  X