This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Steve Hunter - 9/6/11 10:45-Noon Pacific

Steve Hunter started playing guitar when he was eight years old and has dedicated his life to music. His professional career began in 1971 when he joined a band called Detroit Featuring Mitch Ryder. With that band he recorded his first album. Over the next 40 years, they worked together on many projects including four Alice Cooper albums, Peter Gabriel’s first solo album which included “Solsbury Hill,” and Lou Reed’s Berlin album and Rock and Roll Animal that included Steve’s composition “The Intro” to “Sweet Jane.”

He later toured with all of the above-mentioned artists as well as touring and/or recording with Julian Lennon, Bette Midler in the movie The Rose, co-wrote and recorded songs with David Lee Roth, toured and recorded with Tracy Chapman and was involved in scoring films and music production. Steve played the first solo on Aerosmith’s “Train Kept Rolling.”

Along the way, he recorded two solo albums, the first being Swept Away and the second self-produced album called The Deacon. In late 2006, Steve joined up with Lou Reed again to do a live version of Lou's landmark album Berlin from which there is a live DVD and CD.

There are now two more solo albums, Hymns for Guitar and Short Stories, both available on CDbaby.com. Steve won an Emmy for his contribution to “The Boys of Christ Child House” charity video in 2009.

In 2011, Steve produced an album for his wife Karen Ann Hunter called Empty Spaces which is also available on CDbaby.com. Most recently, he finished recording on the new Alice Cooper album Welcome 2 My Nightmare, and is currently on tour with Alice and is taking a very short break in order to spend some time with the User Group Forum.

Steve is a long time Seymour Duncan user and lately has been using Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups in his Gretsch Custom Shop CVT hand built by Master Builder Stephen Stern.

As you can imagine, Steve is a highly in-demand artist with little idle time. However, we are lucky to get him to spend an hour or so with us today. Let's make him feel at home. Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to Steve Hunter!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Live - Q&A with Steve Hunter - 9/6/11 10:45-Noon Pacific

Steve will be here, together with his lovely wife Karen, at around 10:45 Pacific. Start asking questions anytime and as soon as he arrives, he'll start answering them.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I'm here and howdy!

Comment

Who did you have the most fun touring with? Got a favorite story you want to share?

What live rig did you use while touring with Alice Cooper? Guitar, pickups, amps and effects?

Thanks for taking time to come by and answer our questions!

Comment

Hi Steve, and welcome to our forum.

I see that Alice Cooper is coming down here to Australia ... will you be coming down on that tour ? Have you been down here before ?
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

BTW I am sight impaired so I will be a bit slow but I wanted to be able to answer you guys rather than have Karen try to type stuff for me. Bear with me and thanks!

Comment

I got to see you back on the "From The Inside" Tour. Great to read you are still touring ang gigging. What is/was your favorite touring guitar?
              Aint no pro but I know what I like....
              Guitar to sound output:
              Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
                Who did you have the most fun touring with? Got a favorite story you want to share?

What live rig did you use while touring with Alice Cooper? Guitar, pickups, amps and effects?

Thanks for taking time to come by and answer our questions!
                Probably the most fun was with Alice especially in the 70s. Lots of fun things happened a lot of which I can't really mention here I think. As far as the rig...I assume you mean what I used back then. That's simple....for a while I used a Les Paul TV Special through a Marshall half stack. Then a little later, a BC Rich Sagull and tehn Mockingbird. But I did not use any pedals. There weren't any then that I liked. We just turned the amp up! I did use an Echoplex a little later on.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                  Hi Steve, and welcome to our forum.

I see that Alice Cooper is coming down here to Australia ... will you be coming down on that tour ? Have you been down here before ?
                  Yes I should be there. I have been to Sydney with Lou Reed a few years ago. Beautiful city! Makes me want to see more of Australia.

Comment

Did you contribute guitar to Get Your Wings or Toys In The Attic or is that an old rumor?
                    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                      I got to see you back on the "From The Inside" Tour. Great to read you are still touring ang gigging. What is/was your favorite touring guitar?
                      Well I have had lots of favorites. Probably have to say the early American BC Riches were really great guitars. I did love playing them. On that Inside tour I used a BC Rich double neck....bloody heavy but it played and sounded amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                        Did you contribute guitar to Get Your Wings or Toys In The Attic or is that an old rumor?
                        Dick Wagner and I both did and it's no rumor. I played the solos on the "studio" version of Train Kept A Rollin on the Get Yer Wings album but that's it. I think Dick played on more stuff. He also played the solos on the "live" version of Train. I didn't play on Toys in the Attic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hunter View Post
                          Yes I should be there. I have been to Sydney with Lou Reed a few years ago. Beautiful city! Makes me want to see more of Australia.
                          So you weren't with Lou when he came to Melbourne in the mid 70's ?
                          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                            So you weren't with Lou when he came to Melbourne in the mid 70's ?
                            Nope. I only worked with Lou back then anyway, between 73 and early 74.

Comment

Hi Steve

Si (and Jenn) here in London. Was great to meet you in the States the other week.

Wanted to say the lead lines on 'I Am Made Of You' from W2MN are just steller. What a great song and the solo really makes the song. Simply amazing.

A couple of questions..
                              What are you looking forward to most about working with Orianthi on next leg of the tour? Were you aware of her work before now?

Oh, and is Tommy getting any more RESPECT nowadays haha

Comment

Working...
                              X