Show Off Your FENDER Amps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show Off Your FENDER Amps!

The 6G2 Princeton is really a very different sounding amp than a Blackface Princeton - its closer sonically to a tweed Harvard or Deluxe. It'll get close to the ragged Neil Young-type greasy stuff when its cranked up. Mine is a transitional model - its actually a Brownface dressed up in Blackface clothing.

I've also had a real deal 1965 Deluxe Reverb back in the '80s, but it died on me and I wound up trading it away like an idiot. Cleanest one I've ever seen. Even had a roadcase for it. Ugh.

Had a '90s Vibroverb reissue too - but that amp didn't do much for me. VERY mushy. I kinda wish I had it back knowing what I know now - I could have improved that thing significantly and I bet it would have been stellar with some mods.

We have a ton of Fenders as test amps at the shop - '70s SF Champ, '60s BF Super Reverb, '78 SF Quad Reverb, '90s Custom Vibrolux Reverb, '70s SF Musicmaster Bass, '70s SF Bassman 10, '90s Deluxe Reverb reissue, '90s Pro Junior, and a newer Princeton Reverb reissue and tweed Deluxe reish - probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. We love a good Fender at CB.
    Last edited by erksin; 10-01-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
      We have a ton of Fenders as test amps at the shop - '70s SF Champ, '60s BF Super Reverb, '78 SF Quad Reverb, '90s Custom Vibrolux Reverb, '70s SF Musicmaster Bass, '70s SF Bassman 10, '90s Deluxe Reverb reissue, '90s Pro Junior, and a newer Princeton Reverb reissue and tweed Deluxe reish - probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. We love a good Fender at CB.
      Oh what I would do to play those amps. Especially the Super. I can't even imagine how good that thing would sound turned up to 8 or so with a quality strat.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

My faves of those amps are actually the reissues - we've done some mods and upgrades to them but the CVR, PRRI, and tweed Deluxe are all absolutely kickass amps.

Comment

My faves of those amps are actually the reissues - we've done some mods and upgrades to them but the CVR, PRRI, and tweed Deluxe are all absolutely kickass amps.
          Interesting - very interesting indeed.

How does the BF Super Reverb compare to the RI, in your opinion?
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

I've got a blackface super (electronically, from factory) and a reissue and the reissue tends to be a bit more present. High end shines a bit more with a bit less of the warmth in the mids. I'm not sure if that comes from the inherent design, pcb vs. point to point, or if it's purely aged components wearing down gracefully. My gut tells me it's the latter. Either way, They both have strengths. I do love the sound of the Reissue and have used it on every gig since I got it over my other S. Reverb.
            Last edited by CapoFirstFret; 10-01-2011, 03:16 PM.
            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
              Interesting - very interesting indeed.

How does the BF Super Reverb compare to the RI, in your opinion?
              Never tried the reish SR.

I will say, the reissues we have took quite a bit of tweaking to get them to where we wanted them. Out of the box, they weren't terribly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                I've got a blackface super (electronically, from factory) and a reissue and the reissue tends to be a bit more present. High end shines a bit more with a bit less of the warmth in the mids. I'm not sure if that comes from the inherent design, pcb vs. point to point, or if it's purely aged components wearing down gracefully. My gut tells me it's the latter. Either way, They both have strengths. I do love the sound of the Reissue and have used it on every gig since I got it over my other S. Reverb.
                Never tried the reish SR.

I will say, the reissues we have took quite a bit of tweaking to get them to where we wanted them. Out of the box, they weren't terribly impressive.
                Interesting. It makes sense though.

At current prices, late 60's Silverface Fenders can be had for a bit less than new reissues. It's almost a no-brainer in that case - take the Silverface to a tech, get it checked out and blackfaced, and for maybe a little bit more than a reissue, you've got a PTP, blackface Fender. That's what I did, and I've never regretted it. Mostly because they don't reissue AB165 Bassmans, haha
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

All my favorite vintage Fenders are too esoteric for them to reissue - so I either have to save my monies or go without. I got lucky on the ones I own already - bought them all in the late '80s/early '90s before prices went through the roof.

Comment

I wish they would do some brown/blonde reissues. That's a whole other flavor of Fender that's not even being produced right now.
                    Originally posted by gibson175
                    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I had the reissue Super Reverb for a while. Inherited it from my dad when he died. It was a good amp, but nothing to write home about. The Ampeg VT-40, which is the same basic configuration, blows it out of the water both tonally (including tonal versatility) and in terms of build quality.

I have always preferred Fender's smaller amps very much over their larger ones.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-02-2011, 02:44 AM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Show Off Your FENDER Amps!

Fender concert. Been told it's from the early 80s when Rivera first started working for fender. Anybody wanna verify?
                        Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

This thread has been everything I could have ever dreamt up and more.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                          I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                            I wish they would do some brown/blonde reissues. That's a whole other flavor of Fender that's not even being produced right now.
                            Word - the 6G3 Deluxe, 6G6-B Bassman, and 6G9-B Tremolux could be INCREDIBLE reissues if they did them right.

Comment

65 Vibro Champ| 63 Tremolux| 68 Champ

66 Bandmaster head. Looked bad sounded GREAT!

73 Vibro Champ

77 Deluxe Reverb

60 Tweed Princeton

1961 Super Amp

74 Princeton Reverb

My main squeeze 75 Vibrolux Reverb

My man cave after I bought a collector out. LOL!

68 Champ

61 Super Amp| 63 Tremolux| 75 Vibrolux Reverb
                              I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Man the Tremolux and Super are awesome - nice collection!

Comment

Working...
                                X