Re: Best Speaker Cabinet Wire?

+1 on the 16 guage stranded copper.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Oh hell, use a wire coat hanger.

Comment

I'm thinking that you're still gonna have a bottleneck at the internal leads to the coil, so anything larger is moot. I was still gonna try it, just to see, but I've got some 14awg that I'm gonna use instead of the battery cables because I don't think I can get the 10 to solder to the tabs.

I'm still wondering how the hell bogner does it.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          I'm thinking that you're still gonna have a bottleneck at the internal leads to the coil, so anything larger is moot.
          I was going to ask that in first post but forgot! When I hooked up my latest cab I noticed how thin those wires are. What gauge are they?

Gets back to my question: is it enough for one small part of the entire chain to be insufficient gauge and cause heat issues, or would the rest of the line (hookup wire, outside speaker wire,whatever) at a thicker gauge make up for it?

The answer may be obvious to the experts here, but not to me because this is not my area of expertise (obviously). Really would like to know the answer.

Comment

I've always used lamp cord. For a long time, my speaker cables were lamp cord, as well. I think I used a heavier gauge, for those, though.

Comment

Use a lamp cord, preferably by cutting it with metal scissors before you've unplugged it from the wall.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                Use a lamp cord, preferably by cutting it with metal scissors before you've unplugged it from the wall.

Muhahahaha!!!

Comment

Its amazing some of the people who will say you must have high quality 3-6" interconnects between your pedals on the pedalboard, and turn around in the same breath and heap vicious insults on the entire idea of hi quality speaker cabinet wire.
                  Thanks for some of the other outstanding replies.
                  I am not so sure its about capacitance, as thats not the issue. Its the way the signal in seen by the amp, I would say ( and please don't quote me on that).

Take a look at Lava Cables, offering a Kimber Cable high end speaker to amp Combo cord;

Now wouldn' it be ideal to get a few feet of this stuff ( around 4 dollars a foot I think) to wire the speakers in the cabinet? Right now I've emailed Kimber Cable on this subject and waiting on their reply, but I will likely go with the Kimber Cable 4PR or 4VS.

As has been mentioned, Lyric Audio also has a high end Amp to speaker combo cable.;
                  Evidence Audio was founded by Tony Farinella, who focused on design methodologies in his lab more than 25 years ago. His goal was to create cables that would preserve the quality of sound as it passes through electronics. Every cable is designed to “disappear” without imparting its signature on the signal path.

Monster also offers the Stdio Pro 1000 is a short Combo cable.

But I suppose some of you Yahoos know more than professional Audio Engineers.

Ya know, alls it would take for one certain guy here to start running around proclaiming that high end speaker connectivity is a "must", is for Billy Gibbons or Eric Johnson to come out and say they use the stuff!

Now if I may, please;

Right Back Atcha!
                  Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

It is confusing that there is such a big market for high speaker cable, but they must be getting sales based on some reason; hype, wow factor, someone actually notices?

I honestly can't hear the difference. I only bought larger gauges way back because I thought THD had recommended that the line feeding the hot plate be larger; not 100% on that, nor why. Something related to over heating the wire and how the hot plate works.

And I'm only curious now for the same heat reasons (as well just what different gauges across the entire oline may affect, if anything), not for a difference in sound. The two combo amps I have do not appear to have very large wires running from the amp to the speakers, and, not counting companies like Monster, basic wire is not that expensive, so the amp companies must know what gauge is enough. Of course it's a shorter distance inside a combo.

If it's that important to you, why not buy what it sounds like you're going to buy anyway and do a side by side test and record it, assuming you have the gear?

Comment

Yeah, but you've changed subjects. Those are high-end amp-to-speaker interconnects. In that application, you might hear a difference. (Moreso in PA or stereo applications where the program material is clean, frequency range broad, and cables longer.)

But for internal guitar cabinet wiring, you won't hear a difference, even if you could do an apples-to-apples comparision, which is nigh on impossible. The negligible difference in fidelity you'd get from the high-end stuff isn't worth the postage you'd pay on it, let alone the price of the cable. In fact, it's not even worth the time we've put into this thread.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

There's a good reason it's a good idea to get high quality audio cable, but not "high quality" speaker cable: it all comes down to what kind of signal the cable is carrying.

Audio cable (like what we use to connect a guitar to a pedal board, or a pedal to another pedal, and so on) carries a very high impedance signal (tens of thousands of ohms) with extremely low current. Such a weak signal is highly vulnerable to cable capacitance and RF interference. This is why cable quality can and does make a difference, especially on longer runs (>10 feet).

Speaker cable carries a low impedance signal (whatever the rating of the cab is, pretty much always 16 ohms or less) with much higher current. This relatively strong signal (although it is still very weak compared to wall current, for example) has almost zero vulnerability to capacitance and RF interference. This is why plain ol' stranded copper is just fine.

I don't know which "professional audio engineers" you're dealing with, but when we cut our album my head was on a bench beside me, and my cab was in an iso room 40 feet away. Want to take a guess what kind of cable our platinum-album-making engineer used for that? Yep, it was plain 14 gauge stranded copper wire. This was in a studio with mics worth more than my car, and a board worth more than my house. You'd think they'd splurge on speaker cable too, right? Wrong.

But hey, it's your money. If you want to waste it I won't stop you, especially since you seem hell bent on doing so in spite of good advice and common sense.
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I did just have a Marshall 1960 apart and the cable they use for internal wiring is hilarious. It's gotta be 22 awg or something. I'll bet you'd find improvement from that, which may be where all this nonsense gets started.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                            I did just have a Marshall 1960 apart and the cable they use for internal wiring is hilarious. It's gotta be 22 awg or something. I'll bet you'd find improvement from that, which may be where all this nonsense gets started.
                            Yeah, but I sold at a pretty good progit some of that old original real thin Marshall when I put in thicker wire on one of my old 70's Marshall cabinets because people claim its part of the old Marshall sound, plus its original.

Anyay, its plain we have enough evidence to support that theres no benefit to high end cables, but if you all have anything to else add to support the use of more costly high end cable, please let it be known.

BTW..now heres one guys product that seems to provide actual benefits. Take a look at it guys will you please, and comment? I could actually have him make an entire cabinet harness;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              That reminded me of this.

Comment

It seams like every couple of moths we have this discussion about Speaker and guitar cables. with the cheap-o ones at $3 and the high end Monster/ George L cables $50
                                Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                                Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                                I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                                Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                                Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                                Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                                Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                                Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Working...
                                X