• Show
Clear All

Re: Best Speaker Cabinet Wire?

Listen, it don't really matter to me, baby
    You believe what you want to believe
    You see, you don't have to live like a refugee

Comment

What exactly is sub-par about #14 copper wire? Whether it's 'lamp cord' or $300 cryogenically frozen wire made by Tibetan monks locked in a monastery? High-end audio BS is just that...you are amplifying your signal through speakers with an effective bandwidth from 60 Hz to maybe 6K. Not exactly high fidelity...
      Last edited by SoPhx; 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
        What exactly is sub-par about #14 copper wire? Whether it's 'lamp cord' or $300 cryogenically frozen wire made by Tibetan monks locked in a monastery? High-end audio BS is just that...you are amplifying your signal through speakers with an effective bandwidth from 60 Hz to maybe 6K. Not exactly high fidelity...
        Well, for one, it leaves the snake-oil vendors out of work and sucking up the government assistance that the rest of us could use right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
          Trust me that is crap. It doesn't matter where the cable is made, but HOW they are made. If you try a Sommer speaker cable, Lava Tephra, Mogami, or better still, Colossal Cable Colossus, you won't believe your ears
          You may be right but on the other hand lucky me I am not exactly disappointed with my tone yet on the speaker cable department. Ignorance is blessing.
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            My experience is that when a blind test is done, it's not possible for anyone I know to tell the difference between fancy cable and soldered coat hangar.

This is why most audiophile testing is done with great visibility of the products being tested. If you don't see the expensive stuff, you certainly don't hear it - which means it's really hard to come up with fancy words to justify having bought it. Placebo is a hell of a drug.
            Back in the early 90s, there was a known studio engineer who was touting how he could hear the difference in Oxygen free Mogami cable with silver solder -so one day other house engineers swapped out his new reference monitor cables with regular brown 18AWG lamp cord and let him brag about his new tracking and mixes for a month on this setup before they broke it to him.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The required gauge for speaker cable is definitely legit question.

I don't reallly understand well those US measures, but as long as it's thick enough and copper, it's good.

There is calculators in web that give some insight to the effect of lenght vs. diameter.

I like to go 0,5 - 1,5 mm above suggested just in case and for added sturdiness.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

This is still going on?
                -=The Dali
                --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I think Jerry has even given up after 9 years
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                  X