HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

I got to step 3 and now I am at a stand still. the 59 is a braided wire and the CUstom is a 4 conductor. I took notes.

The 4 conductor Custom:

Slug Coil: white wire goes to the white wire of the 4 conductor wiring, black wire goes to black wire of the 4 conductor wiring.

Screw Coil: white wire goes to the red wire of the 4 conductor wiring, black wire goes to the green wire of the 4 conductor wiring.

The above wiring is when you have 2 - 4 conductor pickups.

The 2 conductor 59:

both coils have 2 black wires each, so I am confused which goies to where and how the braided cable comes into play. I know one coil goes has a wire going to ground, and the other coil has one wire going to the braided cable hot output.

Comment

help bump. I have 2 patients on the operating table for open heart surgery, and I'm running out of time... well actually the patients are...
      Last edited by Fusion1; 02-08-2005, 07:40 AM.

Comment

In addition I was trying to use both screw coils in one pickup as well as 2 slug coils for the other, will that also be a problem with phase issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
          I got to step 3 and now I am at a stand still. the 59 is a braided wire and the CUstom is a 4 conductor. I took notes.

The 4 conductor Custom:

Slug Coil: white wire goes to the white wire of the 4 conductor wiring, black wire goes to black wire of the 4 conductor wiring.

Screw Coil: white wire goes to the red wire of the 4 conductor wiring, black wire goes to the green wire of the 4 conductor wiring.

The above wiring is when you have 2 - 4 conductor pickups.

The 2 conductor 59:

both coils have 2 black wires each, so I am confused which goies to where and how the braided cable comes into play. I know one coil goes has a wire going to ground, and the other coil has one wire going to the braided cable hot output.
          When you are looking at a 59 coil the Black wire to the left is like the White wire on the left of a Custom coil... the Black wire coming out of the bottom is like the Black one on the right of a custom coil.
          You can do 2 slug and/or 2 screw coil pickups!
          Here is a double slug example:

Here is a double screw example:
          Last edited by BachToRock; 02-08-2005, 09:12 AM.
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGTONE
            I asked this question before, Wouldn't spin a split accomplish the same thing?
            Absolutely not.
            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by theodie
              If I remember right, Dimarzio has the patent on mismatched coils or something like that.
              Yes... that is correct!
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Have you ever thought of doing this mod, kinda like John Spina does with pedals?
                I wish you could make up a small batch of these and sell them for a slight profit?
                Good idea? Bad idea? Last time I tried something like this, I ended up with a ruined pickup exploded in my hands. ha ha
                Yes... I have made a few of these for forum members... also a Custom/JB Hybrid which is pretty cool... that sounds good with either the Ceramic from a regular Custom or an Alnico 5 depending on what you are after.
                GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

like them so much i have them in 4 guitars, LP studio, wolfgang, semihollow (out of phase w/ a 59 neck) and an SG !

Comment

BachtoRock thank you sooooo much! I got the hybrid to work! And work it does! I slapped the double screw Custom/59 in my beater Ibanez I use to test pickups and it smokes! Thanks bro, I owe you a beer!

This was originally a Custom but I had an A5 in there so I kept it with the A5. How does this sound with a ceramic?

Also Bach, do the identical custom/59 hybrids sound any different between the 2 slugs pickup and the double screws pickup. Much difference or not really?
                    Last edited by Fusion1; 02-08-2005, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I think a dual slug pickup has a bit more power since more of the magnets field saturates the coil due to the higher mass of the slugs compared to the screws
                      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the stock pickups in my EBMM Axis.

I think the pickups measure somewhere upwards of 16K+.

I wonder how they'd sound when "thinned-out" in a Hybrid configuration.

They have sooo much bass and waaay more lower mids than any A5 bucker that Seymour makes that I'm aware of.

What do you think the results would be if you mixed the stock Axis bucker with a 59?

Nowhere near vintage, of course, but I'm thinking it would clear it up a bit, right?

Comment

Majestic, it would probably be an improvement, but I'd suggest trying a stock Duncan in there first, as that will be the biggest improvement over the EB/MM pickups whatever they use? (Dimarzio??)

Comment

Fusion... let's have a detailed review... what do you think about the Hybrid?
                            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Bach well to be honest I never really played around with the Custom 5 before I did this hybrid. I am pretty familiar with the 59 N and B though. I think it has the fire and attack of the Custom and the PAF-ishness of both coils makes for a great combination.

I tried it with medium gain which it seems to be best suited, like a plexi model on my V-amp2. I am by no means a Van Halen-esque player but for someone who is, this sounds like a pretty good start on the gear side of things (you still need the chops :-)) to get you there.

For clean though it isn't bad, but I'm not one to use the bridge for clean stuff anyways so I can't really comment. You can still get a decent basic jazz tone rolling off the vol and tone which isn't that surprising since this has the PAF thing going on.

I used the Custom coil closest to the bridge and the 59 coil towards the neck. I should have tried it with the stock screws/slugs first but this turned out surprisingly well. I used the black plastic spacer from the Custom instead of the maple one from the 59 (which will be used in the other hybrid this will make).

I do notice the A5 that came out of the 59 was really shiney whereas the A5 I put in the Custom from my JB (which now has a Ceramic from the original Custom) looks almost like a ceramic in color on both outer edges but the center is a lighter color similar to the 59's A5. Maybe the color darkens as it ages?

Initially I wanted to try a DD/59 hybrid but not sure if that would work well or not now. Maybe a little TOO mismatched huh?
                              Last edited by Fusion1; 02-09-2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Wow, i'm going to try this as soon as i can get ahold of '59 trembucker.
                                teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Working...
                                X