Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Originally posted by BachToRock
    Probably too much of a coil mis-match... what kind of tone would you be looking for with that combo?
    The JB/Custom Hybrid is a great pickup... with Ceramic for crunch or Alnico for warmth
    How do you think of an EVH/Screamin Demon combo? I want a mix of the two sounds, as those are my two favorite sounding SD pickups, and it just happens that George Lynch and Eddie Van Halen have my two favorite guitar tones! How do you think a hybrid would work out? I'm thinking of that for User Group Day.
    formerly n00b

Comment

How does the 59/Custom hybrid sound with a ceramic magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
        How does the 59/Custom hybrid sound with a ceramic magnet?
        I think it is too bright and aggressive.
        A5 or A2 is what works best...
        GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
          OK... anyone who has tried it knows that the coolest pickup in the world is the 59/Custom Hybrid... it combines the Clarity and Vintage Response of the 59 Model with the Punchiness, Drive and Body of the Custom 5 and Custom Custom...
          Thanks for posting this! I believe it would make a difference in sound depending on which coil is closer to the bridge: the 59 or the Custom. Which coil would you recommend for each half of the bridge humbucker?
          Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
          http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
          http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Does it sound better with the hotter coil as the screw coil or the slug coil?
            formerly n00b

Comment

I am interested in this mod and own both a Custom Custom and a 59B. For me, the Custom 5 lacks mids, the CC has too much mids and the 59B is quite close to what I want but I would like a touch more gain without losing the rest of what makes the 59B great in the process.
              I suspect this mod can do it. The one thing I am unclear on is when I swap the coils and reassemble, which pickup is the one I want to use? And, my 59B is 2 conductor braided wire, the CC is four conductor wire. Help & thanks
              Last edited by notesfield; 12-04-2005, 12:18 PM.

Comment

You end up with 2 Hybrids and can use BOTH of them!
                The only difference will be which stud coil you have on the 4 conductor pickup as that will be the coil that is active if you split the pickup to single coil with a switch.
                Didn't I buy a GMP from you a few years ago?
                GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Surprised this thread isn't a sticky by now

Comment

Bach have you ever tried the 59N/JazzN hybrid?

I want to try this and then use both slug coils so I can use the big oxide hex screws (like the Invader) and install that in the neck of my Les Paul that has an Invader in the bridge.

I'm thinking it will not only look cool, but sound great as I like the theoretical sound of a Jazz/59 hybrid. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by n00b
                      Does it sound better with the hotter coil as the screw coil or the slug coil?
                      BETTER is a matter of taste and it is pretty hard to tell the difference... it would seem that you would want the Custom coil closer to the bridge(screw coil), but the Custom coil sounds better(in my opinion) as the slug coil if you are going to coil tap the pickup.
                      The only time I have noticed a tone difference is in my Kramer Baretta which has a SLANTED bridge pickup so the screws and studs line up unevenly under the strings... the screw coil favors the LOW strings and the stud coil favors the HIGH strings... in that guitar I prefer the tone of the Custom Screw/59 Slug.
                      In my guitars that have a coil tap, I use the 59 Screw/Custom Slug... otherwise, I don't think it really matters.
                      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Yes, I believe I sold you a Red Sparkle Roxie that had the Neil heel mod and a pair of Seths in it? That was a cool guitar. At some point I would like to own a GMP again but used product has really been scarce since they went under.

Last quesion on this hybrid, by making one, I end up with two. I never mess with pickups and was just curious, where is the magnet in all this? I ask because the 59B has the 5 and the CC has the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                          Bach have you ever tried the 59N/JazzN hybrid?

I want to try this and then use both slug coils so I can use the big oxide hex screws (like the Invader) and install that in the neck of my Les Paul that has an Invader in the bridge.

I'm thinking it will not only look cool, but sound great as I like the theoretical sound of a Jazz/59 hybrid. What do you think?
                          That is EXACTLY the neck pickup that I use! Either that or a 59/APII Neck Hybrid...

I actually have a Double Slug 59/APII Hybrid Neck pickup made up that I was going to put in the neck postion of a Tele that a Double Slug 59/Custom Hybrid is in, but I think I am going to stick with the Tele neck pickup...
                          I will sell it to you if you are interested... it is BLACK w/4 conductor wire.
                          I do Hybrids for $75.00 shipped... let me know!
                          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by notesfield

Yes, I believe I sold you a Red Sparkle Roxie that had the Neil heel mod and a pair of Seths in it? That was a cool guitar. At some point I would like to own a GMP again but used product has really been scarce since they went under.

Last quesion on this hybrid, by making one, I end up with two. I never mess with pickups and was just curious, where is the magnet in all this? I ask because the 59B has the 5 and the CC has the 2.
                            That RED SPARKLE has Double Cream Hybrids in it now!

The magnet will have to be a fine tuning preference suited to the individual guitar and the response that you prefer... A5 is going to have the stronger lows and more attack on the high notes... A2 has it's trademark "soft" tone with more midreange...
                            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

WOW! lthe Roxie looks great! I have been following the orange sparkle DC for years. I think you got that one for a great price too. If that one is ever on the block, I would be extremely interested in buying it now...
                              As for the tone of the hybrid, do you have any clips or can you provide any insight as to what to expect tonally before I dismantle this early 80's 59B?
                              Thanks

Comment

Hey back! I couldn't resist bothering you too...
                                I'm thinking about either a FullShred with ceramic magnet, or a hybrid FullShred/Custom. For the hybrid, I would keep the A5 magnet, and use the Custom part on the neck side (bridge position) as to get more output from it. Would this make the FS a higher output bucker, with maybe a bit more mids? Or would that better be fullfilled by the Ceramic FS?

Comment

Working...
                                X