• Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

I am selling a custom/59b hybrid over at the TP

grab it quick these dont sit long!

Comment

just made a killer sounding hybrid.

I had a custom custom (Alnico2) that I have been playing with into my plexi. Been trying higher output pickups lately. Got a dimarzio 36th paf that sounds good but lacks balls, hence the custom custom.

The CC is white, so I had a white 59 neck.

I used the CC base and screw, 59 slug & alnico 2. It really cleaned up the low end. You can hear the articulation of low string chords and leads still sound good. It has a nice "snarl", bright without being harsh.

Is there a cleaner option for the slug coil? What would an Alnico 5 do to the sound?

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
        I am selling a custom/59b hybrid over at the TP

grab it quick these dont sit long!
        the link is invalid, but I'm interested!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkinKC View Post
          just made a killer sounding hybrid.

I had a custom custom (Alnico2) that I have been playing with into my plexi. Been trying higher output pickups lately. Got a dimarzio 36th paf that sounds good but lacks balls, hence the custom custom.

The CC is white, so I had a white 59 neck.

I used the CC base and screw, 59 slug & alnico 2. It really cleaned up the low end. You can hear the articulation of low string chords and leads still sound good. It has a nice "snarl", bright without being harsh.

Is there a cleaner option for the slug coil? What would an Alnico 5 do to the sound?

thx
          what do you mean by that? I think that an alnico5 would make it a bit hotter, less sweet, more harsh, more crunchy, I'd say.

Comment

after playing it for a few hours, I think too much of the hot custom custom is coming through. It is very hot.

The neck 59 is weaker than a bridge right? Sounds like I need the bridge 59 slug, or

I have the second half of what I made, custom custom + neck 59 with alnico 5

how much difference does it make if the cc coil is closest to the bridge or closer to the neck?

Comment

You need to use the coil from a 59 Bridge... the neck coil is too weak for pairing with a Custom
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                the link is invalid, but I'm interested!
                sorry but my two hybrids sold in 20 minutes!
                If i make any more i will PM ya

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock View Post
                  You need to use the coil from a 59 Bridge... the neck coil is too weak for pairing with a Custom
                  What I made sounds pretty cool none the less....

It has a very interesting "blaze" to it. You hear the fire of the custom coil and the "jangly" of the 59n. It is smoking hot when pushed through the plexi but no mud. Amazing definition of the chords and such.

I'm gonna try to find a cheap, black, Trem CC. I have a trem black 59b.

The CC + 59n were white & cream pickups and standard spacing. Think of this as a beta test.

Comment

Two pickups I keep coming back to are Pearly Gates and Screamin Demon. How might these pair up in a hybrid, and would you go A5 or A2?

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
                      Two pickups I keep coming back to are Pearly Gates and Screamin Demon. How might these pair up in a hybrid, and would you go A5 or A2?
                      I to have wondered what a PG hybrid would sound like. I want the rawness of the pearly gates with a vintage sound, but I want to fatten it up with out loosing the PG edge. I havent come across a duncan yet that I would consider fat or thick sounding. Any suggestions?

Comment

For those who already have a hybrid and are used to them i have a duncan mod to add that goes amazing with ANY hybrid. Use duncan's spin a split mod with the hybrid. this is one of the best tone mods because if you do split your hybrid,you can control how much of the split coil is outputting. this aloows you to blend the screw coil to achieve a perfect split coil tone that a full split coil can do

Comment

Originally posted by Hartfeltmusic2010 View Post
                          I to have wondered what a PG hybrid would sound like. I want the rawness of the pearly gates with a vintage sound, but I want to fatten it up with out loosing the PG edge. I havent come across a duncan yet that I would consider fat or thick sounding. Any suggestions?
                          I did a couple of 59B/C5/A5 that would rip yer noggin off, read post 617 in this thread. I had to tone mine down a little with A4 that worked really good for a Les Paul that I use for classic/southern rock, blues, wrote about that in post 624. One thing I look at is Seymour's tone chart, the numbers for bass mids and treble and I try to pick coils that somewhat match. That's one of the reasons the 59B/C5 sounds so good.

The Pearly Gates is similar to the 59 but has more mids. You can see the difference in the tone chart, and also an earlier thread said the same thing when the PG is used in the hybrid. That's cool to know because I got a customer with a pair of PGs that wants to hybridize them, now I know a little more of what to tell him can be expected out of the PG/C5 as compared to the 59/C5.

That said, if it's fat you are wanting, with the edge of the hybrid, I would suggest using something like a Fralin PAF wound to 9.0k or even better, 9.5k. Those bad boys have a sledge hammer bottom end. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing a SD 78, but it's 9.0k and I would suspect it has a killer low end too. I got one of those combinations in mind to do soon as well.

Comment

I have made an PG/custom hybrid with an alnico5. It's tighter and dirtier with a bit more miss than a 59/custom hybrid. it's about as hot.

Comment

Anybody used a Brobucker in one of these yet? I gotta try one, the pickup fairies at fleabay tossed one my way, bring it on USPS!

Comment

And now all we have to do is go to a dealer

Comment

Working...
                                X