HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

can you combine two single coils to form a humbucker in a similar manner?
    Originally posted by zerberus
    doesn't feel right...llike an ESP......it's good and all, but somehoew it still sucks
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Itīs much better to have an open mind and a closed fist, instead
    My MySpace Account

Comment

Hi-

Since I love the A5 version of the 59/CC hybrid I currently have installed in my LP,
      I still have what I guess is the other hybrid left that i did not use. ( the CC slugs, A2 magnet and baseplate mated with the screw coil from the 59B, call it an A2 version of the 59/cc Hybrid?)
      So this A2 hybrid is just laying around. If I want to make another A5 hybrid out of it, is all I have to do is replace the A2 with an A5 magnet?
      I happen to have a Dimarzio VHPAF B laying around which I believe has an A5, will that work or where do I get A5 magnets? While we are at it, where do I get the best tape to rewrap this stuff?
      I am hooked.
      What other hybrids work well or what neck hybrid matches well with this one?

Thanks!
      Last edited by notesfield; 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM.

Comment

All you would have to do is replace the a2 with an a5, pretty simple. Here's a good tutorial by our own Stratdeluxer97:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

As far as availablity, I know that you can get them from Blackrose Customs.

http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com/

I'm new to the Hybrids as well, so I don't know what other combos work well together. SD97 just finished putting together a couple of Jazz/'59n Hybrids for both of us. Check out this thread: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=57963
        Last edited by JumpMarine; 12-04-2005, 06:07 PM.
        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I have tried a whole bunch of different Hybrid combos...

The 59/Custom just nails THE tone that can cover so many styles of music... it lets the guitar and the particular amp just shine...
          I have made some with Double Screws, Double Slugs, Hex Polepieces and Invader Polepieces all providing very slight variations of tone and response

The JB/Custom is an excellent Hybrid for more of a compressed/non-vintage tone... it works well with either the A5 magnet or the Ceramic magnet from the Custom... think Custom 5 with the signature mid response of the JB mixed together.

The KILLER neck pickup is the 59N/Jazz Hybrid and the 59N/APII which are basically the same thing as the APII coil and the Jazz coil are pretty much identical... I am slowly convering all of my guitars to this neck pickup to match the Alnico 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge.

NOTESFIELD
          I have a few extra Duncan A5 magnets and will swap you for the A2 from the Custom Custom if you don't need it...
          Last edited by BachToRock; 12-04-2005, 10:07 PM.
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by notesfield
            IMO, SD is long overdue for a new HB, and this one nails what many of us are looking for. It is what I though the C5 was going to sound like!
            I would love nothing more that for Duncan to market this pickup...
            One problem may be that DiMarzio has a patent on "Dual Resonance" design in a humbucker pickup.
            From what I understand, that means any humbucker that is knowingly designed with two distinct different coils(which deviates from the original symetrical coil design) would be in infringemet of the patent...
            One thing that makes me question this is that Lindy Fralin markets a pickup called the Un-bucker that has mismatched coils of the same type of wire... maybe the DiMarzio patent covers only balanced design with different guages of wire?
            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you slapped an Alnico 8 in a 59/Custom hybrid? That seems to be all the rage on the forum this week.

Comment

Originally posted by yeti
                I wonder what would happen if you slapped an Alnico 8 in a 59/Custom hybrid? That seems to be all the rage on the forum this week.
                Try it and let the rest of us know?
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hell, i'm still waiting for my first Custom to arrive!
                  But I do have Allstars webpage saved, and a list of all the usual suspects to contact in my quest (you're on there buddy) for tone.
                  Why do I see this ending with me on a live CNN feed, screaming "Alnico 13!!!" from a clocktower?

Comment

Originally posted by yeti
                    Hell, i'm still waiting for my first Custom to arrive!
                    But I do have Allstars webpage saved, and a list of all the usual suspects to contact in my quest (you're on there buddy) for tone.
                    Why do I see this ending with me on a live CNN feed, screaming "Alnico 13!!!" from a clocktower?
                    I haven't tryed anything over an A5 and I start thinking that you'd almost be in ceramic magnet territory in output and magnet strength that high on the alnico 8? Probably nowhere near ceramic though huh? I don't ever use ceramic pickups and so I don't really know...I do know that A5 is more than enough as far as power in the lows and highs and good strong tight output..
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Im a sucker and ordered a variety from All Star Magnetics. 4 Alnico 8's, 2 Ceramic 8's, and I guess 3 Alnico 3's and 3 Alnico 4's.

Comment

What I really need to do is sit down and compare the posts on the 59/Custom hybrid (and the improvements it brings sound) and compare to the Custom 8...might very well be some "overlap" on enhancements that would cause potential problems.

Comment

has anyone made a Gibson 57 classic/ Custom hybrid? I have a couple of these laying around and wonder how they would sound with the aid of a Custom?
                          www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

Comment

I would stick with Duncan coils... some of the specs might be slightly off and you will have some difficulty.
                            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by claytonc
                              has anyone made a Gibson 57 classic/ Custom hybrid? I have a couple of these laying around and wonder how they would sound with the aid of a Custom?
                              Yucky.....Don't do that! Start off with some already great Duncans or you'll be polishing a turd!

The Classic 57s don't compare to any of the vintage wound Duncans! I had em both and sold them right away!

Comment

I have had mine in the bridge of a Brian Moore for a week or so now and It really is Exceptional! Lots of harmonics. Definitely sounds like EVH circa late 70's early 80's. I will have to try it in several other guitars!

Thanks BachToRock!
                                www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

Comment

Working...
                                X