Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How is your sweep picking?

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
    you have to build it up from slow speeds.

I hate practicing something slow, so I haven't improved my sweep picking for a few years now.

I can do it... technically. However I sound NOTHING like someone like Malmsteen or Gambale.
    HA! Saw this after I posted. Good taste there young buck!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Look, I love Yngwie. Love him to death but I've never understood why people put him at the top when it comes to the sweep technique. His sweeps are really inconsistent and raw... And that's fine! It works with the intensity of his music and I love it. But for technique alone, many MANY players out there shame him in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        I'm halfway in between "it's over my head" and "it doesn't fit my music"
        LOL! I feel the same way.

I'm a classical trained player, sweep picking wasn't taught in the conservatory... and I don't think is taught today either.

Does it answer your question? (Ok, ok, the answer is "WELL over my head, happy now...?)

Comment

You need 'technique' to play a basic chord so we all have it in varying degrees. I play the way I do mainly because of the age I am. When I started playing there were no blues/rock guitar teachers, no instructional DVDs, no Youtube clips. No EVH and no Wiggly J Marmalade - therefore no tapping and no sweep picking. Things change and younger players adopt the techniques of their heroes. This is the way of things.

I would still rather listen to Johnny Winter and Rory Gallagher because I still love blues and blues influenced music. In their prime THEY were the fast accomplished players who set the benchmark and were often criticised for being too technical and fast.

So things haven't really changed that much.

Comment

Working...
          X