Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What is your sweep picking status?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm amazing at it.

0 0%
  • I'm pretty good.

10 9.71%
  • I'm okay at it.

16 15.53%
  • I can do it, but not well.

26 25.24%
  • I'm terrible at it.

18 17.48%
  • I don't try, because it's over my head.

7 6.80%
  • I don't try, because it doesn't fit my style of music.

17 16.50%
  • Rob option.

9 8.74%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How is your sweep picking?

Amira-Maker

Default Re: How is your sweep picking?

I'm in-between "I can do it, but not well" and "I'm terrible at it". It is something I just couldn't care for, because you can't hear the articulation of how different notes sound together one after another as it is just too fast and sounds bland. Maybe ONE, just ONE 3-string sweep during a tempo change in a solo where it speeds up, but nothing else really because then it is just noise. There are a few players though that sweep carefully in the right places, right notes, at the right speed, which is what sounds amazing.

I'm pretty good at it. Been doing it for years. Took me weeks to nail my first 3 stringer many years ago. After that, it all came a bit easier.

I use alternate picking even when playing Arpeggios or skipping and it's working extremely well...........and I don't use "economy picking " either- unnecessarily complicated IMO.
    Last edited by robertkoa; 05-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar

Economy picking is all about efficiency. If anything, It uncomplicates certain runs.

If it works for you and other people and comes easily- fine.

It's obviously more difficult to explain Economy Picking than Alternate Picking and Economy Picking is phrase dependent-sometimes you do it, sometimes you don't depending on situation .Hence more complicated.

I just don't think people should be taught that this is the ONLY way to play advanced phrases -people have been playing advanced Jazz and Bluegrass and Mandolin lines for decades including Arpeggios using Alternate Picking- no "sweeping" no "economy picking" etc.

Yup. What ever works for the individual.

you have to build it up from slow speeds.

I hate practicing something slow, so I haven't improved my sweep picking for a few years now.

I can do it... technically. However I sound NOTHING like someone like Malmsteen or Gambale.

Gawd it'd be fun to sweep pick!! Its just a stupid gimmick, i've seen 5th graders who can do it.
    Yngwie is the Norse Gawd of Shred. he doesnt utilize the gimmicky sweep picking of the guitar center 50 cent Superstar..he relies on some amazing sweeping techniques to augment his insane neo-classical skills.
    Sad part is if Clapton went into Guitar Center incognito, all the wanna be sweep picking boneheads would think he was a hack cause he didn't do B-Grade sweep picking.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-06-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

You guys get your panties all wet over Guthrie Govan. He's ok, but he isn't either one of these guys...

Yngwie and Frank OWN! Don't fear the Sweepers!!!!!

I can sweep exactly one lick...learned it from - get ready for this: BB King!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    you have to build it up from slow speeds.

I hate practicing something slow, so I haven't improved my sweep picking for a few years now.

I can do it... technically. However I sound NOTHING like someone like Malmsteen or Gambale.
    HA! Saw this after I posted. Good taste there young buck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Look, I love Yngwie. Love him to death but I've never understood why people put him at the top when it comes to the sweep technique. His sweeps are really inconsistent and raw... And that's fine! It works with the intensity of his music and I love it. But for technique alone, many MANY players out there shame him in that regard.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    I'm halfway in between "it's over my head" and "it doesn't fit my music"
    LOL! I feel the same way.

I'm a classical trained player, sweep picking wasn't taught in the conservatory... and I don't think is taught today either.

Does it answer your question? (Ok, ok, the answer is "WELL over my head, happy now...?)

Ultimate Tone Slacker

You need 'technique' to play a basic chord so we all have it in varying degrees. I play the way I do mainly because of the age I am. When I started playing there were no blues/rock guitar teachers, no instructional DVDs, no Youtube clips. No EVH and no Wiggly J Marmalade - therefore no tapping and no sweep picking. Things change and younger players adopt the techniques of their heroes. This is the way of things.

I would still rather listen to Johnny Winter and Rory Gallagher because I still love blues and blues influenced music. In their prime THEY were the fast accomplished players who set the benchmark and were often criticised for being too technical and fast.

So things haven't really changed that much.