banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the ideal string gauge for drop B tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ideal string gauge for drop B tuning?

I have been experimenting with string gauges for quite some time, and I would like to know, what string gauges seem to be the best for dropped tunings, such as C# Standard and drop B on a 24-3/4" scale guitar?

When I say "best", what I mean is:

Proper string tension, overall tone, intonation issues, etc. Mainly focused toward those who play Gibson or other Gibson-scale (24-3/4") guitars.

Right now, I use the Cleartone Drop Tune 11-56 set on my Les Paul. These are actually (according to Cleartone) made for only tuning down 1 full step (aka D Standard) but I find that they still hold up pretty well in C# Standard (down 1-1/2 steps) or Drop B without buzzing (although I use fairly high action anyway). I do find them to be lacking a bit in string tension.

What gauge of strings have any of you guys used in the aforementioned tuning that still feel like a guitar in standard tuning with, say, a regular set of 10s or 11s on it? I know I should probably know this stuff by now, but I thought I'd have a little fun with it and get some opinions from other players.

Thanks in advance for your answers! Cheers.
    Yowza!

Re: What is the ideal string gauge for drop B tuning?

On a 24.75 inch scale guitar, 60 for the low B string (6th string), 46 for the E (5 string) and 36 for the A (4th string).
    Top three strings, guess it depends on how much you bend and stuff

Comment

might as well get a 7 string lol
      Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
      Ibanez RG1570 Custom
      PRS McCarty STD
      '71 Gibson SG Custom
      Bogner Alchemist 2x12
      Vox AD15VT

Comment

I have a set of .012 - .056 Not-Even -Slinky's on the one guitar that I drop tune. I have them tuned to standard tuning down a fourth - B to B. They don't feel too slack. But the scale length of that guitar is 27".

I tend to want the low strings to feel and sound fairly stout, so even on the guitars I tune to standard tuning, I use light top-heavy bottom strings.
        "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
        Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
        guitar pic site
        Original prog rock on soundcloud
        Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
        Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Yayuh.

Comment

I personally recommend stealing highway lightpoles for this purpose.

Comment

Haha!
              Yowza!

Comment

I'd look at what 7-string set use for the bottom 6 strings.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I used 60s for my short scale guitar for the Drop C tuning. It was good. For low B you get to the direction of 70. Try a 64/66 first.
                  www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I use that exact tuning on an SG and a LTD EC100 (24.75). I use D'Addario 12-60.

That 24p from the EB NES set SUUUUUXXXXXX.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
                      On a 24.75 inch scale guitar, 60 for the low B string (6th string), 46 for the E (5 string) and 36 for the A (4th string).
                      Top three strings, guess it depends on how much you bend and stuff
                      +1.
                      I use a .059 for C, and its as tight as a 46 in E.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys! I may go for 12-60 & see how that goes.
                        Yowza!

Comment

i prefer these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...s--heavy-gauge without the 10 guage string on an mtm1 with REALLY low action.

Comment

Very subjective and guitar dependent. But I'd start by using whatever gauge you like for standard tuning, toss the high E, then experiment with a few gauges to determine what you like for the B string. I don't like the tone or feel of overly heavy gauges. Also, I like the slack feel that lower tunings give.

Here's a thread with a lot of detailed analysis of string selection that might be helpful:

Comment

For Drop C on a 25.5" scale, I run 10, 14, 18, 26, 36, 56. This gives me a similar tension and feel to 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44 for E Standard. Keeping with the same rising tension from high to low, for drop B on a 24.75 scale , I'd try 12, 16, 20, 30, 42, 64. That would probably come out heavier, but 11s at Drop B on a 24.75" scale would feel looser than 9s on a 25.5" scale
                              Last edited by Koreth; 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM.
                              Originally posted by ratherdashing
                              If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                              - You hate your neighbours
                              - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                              - You love solid state amps
                              - You don't actually play guitar
                              - You kick puppies

Comment

Working...
                              X