banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the ideal string gauge for drop B tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the ideal string gauge for drop B tuning?

I agree with DB

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    I used 60s for my short scale guitar for the Drop C tuning. It was good. For low B you get to the direction of 70. Try a 64/66 first.
    Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
    Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Musicians are ****ing retards.
    Originally posted by ex-250
    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

So you don't have a bass player? 'cause seems like you'd be playing his parts. Is it even possible to downtune to a B, considering a guitar was designed to be tuned at E. Tuning down 5 steps? All the best, but I don't see how you could have any tension at all. I wouldn't think your nut and bridge would even go high enough on a Les Paul, maybe on a baritone...
      "My appartment smells of rich mahogany." Ron Burgandy, circa 1970's. sigpic ie, he must have a lot of Les Paul's hanging on the wall.

Comment

I will borrow this theme a bit...i am planning on going with my Hamer Explorer, to C Standard/Drop B tuning. it has 24-3/4 scale. in Standard E/Drop D i am using 10-48. which gauge should i use in C Standard/Drop B that the tension will be the same ? and which humbucker would be darker sounding in maple body guitar... SH-5 Custom ( ceramic ) or SH-4 JB ( alnico V ) ? i am looking for a stoner/sludge/southern sounds. which would be better with that maple explorer 24-3/4 guitar in C Standard/Drop B ?
        Last edited by Lux84; 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

C Standard Dropped B (not sure why your E string isn't dropped Bb at C standard) should equal to .012 gauge strings... you might even need to crack open a .013 and grab the low E and A strings... and then you might have a stiff G string and might need to go a lower gauge on that one. I usually grab a "D" string (.024) from a set of .009 gauge strings and use that as my G string since .026 is just too stiff for my wide bending style.

When I do dropped B I need 3 PACKS OF STRINGS! Lolz! I use Blue Steels and they don't need changing after even a year of playing, so it's all good.

My custom set for dropped B tuning (C#) is: .012, .015, .024, .034, .046, .056

I have been tuning to dropped B since 1994 and this is what I have come by as the ultimate string gauge set, but like I said, it takes me 3 packs of strings to accomplish.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Damn, it was my mistake.. not drop b, but drop Bb as you said. from standard c you can do drop Bb. so which strings for C Standard/ Drop Bb ? i guess some 13-60 ?

Comment

I'd go with a 12-56 or 58 if you can find it, or 13-60 depending on if you like your strings with a bit more flex or like steel bridge cables.

A friend of mine goes 13-60 in D standard on his 7 string with a 65 low A. Every time I do a setup for him I'm scared sh!tless that either the strings will snap and take one of my eyes out, or that the neck is gonna snap in half.

It feels like piano strings though. No flex whatsoever.
              Last edited by CTN; 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Since I use 10-46 for Eb on a 24.75" scale guitar, tuning to B with 13-56 should yield approximately the same tension.

I know I was pretty comfortable going down to A with the low string being a 56 on an Ibanez RGD with the 26.5" scale. That set was 10-46 on the higher six strings with a 56 on the low A.

Comment

I'd go with those cables that they use to hold up suspension bridges.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lux84 View Post
                    I will borrow this theme a bit...i am planning on going with my Hamer Explorer, to C Standard/Drop B tuning. it has 24-3/4 scale. in Standard E/Drop D i am using 10-48. which gauge should i use in C Standard/Drop B that the tension will be the same ? and which humbucker would be darker sounding in maple body guitar... SH-5 Custom ( ceramic ) or SH-4 JB ( alnico V ) ? i am looking for a stoner/sludge/southern sounds. which would be better with that maple explorer 24-3/4 guitar in C Standard/Drop B ?
                    I did the 12-56 set posted above for my LP in C standard and it was too floppy for me. (I tuned it up to D and it feels great) Might need the 13-60 for what you're doing.

On the topic of pickups, I play the same style stuff with the aforementioned LP and love the Custom. It's got great bass, it cuts with out being harsh and the ceramic magnet keeps the bottom tight. The JB could be an interesting combo with that tuning/style, especially if you like a bit looser bass. I might try a C5 though if you want the Alnico sag.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Jim Root uses a 13 to 56 or 58. Considering his guitars are a 25.5 scale length, I'd go with something int he neighborhood of a 13-60 or 64.

Also known as The Dick Dale Light gauges.
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

This is what baritones are for . I'd think that even 12s or 13s would feel floppy tuned that low on a 24.75" scale guitar.
                        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Actually, I've gotten away with using 12-54's in that gauge. They even worked down to Drop A, back when I was on a Slipknot craze.
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
                          X