I was blind but now I see....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was blind but now I see....

In searching for the "perfect post metal tone" I had decided that only an orange would do. The thick low mids etc etc. I since sold almost everything in order to get that amp. I have had one guy who keeps sitting on the fence with my peavey rage 258. He is just starting and has one of those first act 3 inch speaker amps. So he says he will buy it and keeps backing out. I still have it in my possession until he decides he wants it again. Anyway... I have recently been inspired by kevlar3000s older solid state videos.... when he is playing big stan into the $75 peavey head. I was always a tube only guy. I plugged into my little peavey (that's 25 watts and a single 8 inch speaker) and was determined to sound really good. No matter what. I was not going to be a tube snob anymore.

So I plugged into the little guy with only a memory toy in front to add some space (there is no reverb on the amp) and I got some really cool tones. I really messed with the controls and knobs on the guitar... I was getting a good variety of blues and rock sounds out of it. I actually really dug the cleans I was getting. Sounded really lush with the toy and I was very happy. I added a bit of the amps overdrive and wrote a song that sounds awesome!! My dad never pays attention to me playing guitar and today he walked in my room and asked if I just made that up or if it was a song or what. He said it sounded pretty good. WTF? After all that jamming on the HR deville... and with all those expensive pedals and everything... this is the first time. I was really happy.

Now the bad part was that the 8 inch speaker got really farty when I dug in and the sound was pretty one directional. You know how when you have a stack the sound is just all around you? Well this was just coming from a little area. Just straight ahead. It bummed me out but it wasn't a big deal. What do you expect out of a 8 inch speaker.

Anyway I just wanted to share this because I think now when I get an amp or pedal or guitar or anything I'll really mess with it to get some good sounds. I won't have a SS be my main amp any time soon but I will no longer be a snob and I may actually buy a SS if the price is right in the future. It's just music after all..... and you can make music out of a solid state amp.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: I was blind but now I see....

I think I just saw kevin ( I think thats his name lol) having a good time and I have just been worried about what tubes I have and what part this has etc etc. Kevins vids inspired me to have more fun.

Comment

Awesome that your dad came in and said he like you tune. The folks are usually the hardest crowd to win over. This helps with further purchases. Good job.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Imagine what pops would say if you were playing that same song through an Orange?

Comment

So you've decide not to get the Orange now? ....Jk lol
          Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
            Imagine what pops would say if you were playing that same song through an Orange?
            lol

Comment

Thanks man! I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what I ears thought... Really fun messing with tones than can be great AND CHEAP...
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I've never been one to care if an amp is tubes, solid state, modeling, or whatever. If it sounds good then that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  I've never been one to care if an amp is tubes, solid state, modeling, or whatever. If it sounds good then that's all that matters.
                  Yep
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

S'funny, i always thought that if ever an amp was going to restore the sight of a blind person, it would be a tube amp. Life is indeed strange.
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      It wasn't that I was getting amazing sounds out of the peavey. It was that I was getting useful, good sounds out of it... and the fun was there and I was having a good time ya know? I felt like a 15 year old starting guitar again.

I wouldn't choose a solid state amp over a good tube amp but I feel like now I will be focusing more on having fun rather than just playing. That's the good that came out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                        S'funny, i always thought that if ever an amp was going to restore the sight of a blind person, it would be a tube amp. Life is indeed strange.
                        A late 60s Shure Vocal Master shined her light upon me, from there I saw light where there had only been darkness.
                        ]
                        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

yes! turn those knobs!

Comment

There's at least a couple of good tones in almost every piece of gear.
                            Last edited by guitfiddle; 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM.
                            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

The only amp I have that I will never sell is a solid state Fender (Ultimate Chorus).

I even started a thread like this one to tell everyone how surprised I was.
                              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X