Marshall Valvestate, yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Valvestate, yay or nay?

I got $300, and I don't work. So before anymore suggestions come, I was wondering. Is the Valvestate series good, or should I go for the MG series? I plan on getting one of those used. Suggestions that cost <$300 are welcome.
    A candy coated dream with parks and trees and figurines and her arms wrapped 'round my sleeve.
    With tiny steps and eyes of green; Toy guitar that's out of tune, eyes fixed on morning time cartoons. And by the lantern of the moon I will dream of a love like you.

Re: Marshall Valvestate, yay or nay?

Disclaimer: I am a Marshall Tube amp Freak

I never cared for the original Valvestates, and I've played a couple of the new ones and still am not really impressed. It just sounds like a lot of loud pre-amp only distortion. Cleans were decent though. effects, eh..

I've also played several of the MG series amps. IMO they sound a bit better than the Valvestates, in that they are designed to sound like pre-amp AND power-amp distortion. Clean sounds are not as nice as valvestates. Effects, eh.

IMO, with $300 max to spend, I'd go with the Behringer V-Tone analog modeler. GMX212. 100 watts, 2x12, lots of effects. Better Marshall sounds than the valvestates and the MGs in my experience, plus good fender and boogie sounds, too. Nice cab emulators. $279 @ Guitar center and most catalogs.

You may also look at the Vox Valvetronix 30 watter if you don't mind a 10" speaker (personally not my cup of tea) The Modern Marshall & 800 series emulations are quite good. I have the 50 watter and am very impressed with it overall.

Lotta folks like the Spider II 1x12 as well, but personally I didn't care for it much.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I dislike valvestates
      we have one at school.

yuck

Comment

Hate em. They sound so artificial and harsh. Just save up buddy.

Comment

i like the series II Valvestates( VS series) than the current MG. my VS15R sounds way better than my MG50DFX. it can't get that loud though.
          2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

The Valvestates aren't that bad...they're a heaven sent when compared to the MG's though. I hate MG's with a burning passion...along with Fender Frontman's...and Spider II's...they're just so overpriced and worthless...but I digress.

But yeah, look into something else, like a modeler. There are some really good ones, like the Vox AD30VT (as mentioned by JeffB) and the Roland Cube 30. Both are excellent for the price. In my experience, the Vox sounds better overall, but the Cube has more good-sounding distortions. Depends on whether you're looking for tone or versatility; but both are excellent amps.
            '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

keep saving up man. for about $200 more, you could get a nice all-tube amp used.

making $200 sounds like it would be impossible without a job...just find some lawns to mow (or sidewalks to shovel, depending on where you live) or some chores to do for people that are willing to give up a little cash.

seriously, if you continue saving and go for something all tube, you won't regret it at all. a few years back, i kept blowing all the money i had on crap gear, when i could have saved up for another month and bought something decent. once you realize that, you'll never go back to buying entry-level gear.
              gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
              '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
              mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
              marshall 1960A 4x12
              and a few pedals

Comment

I used to own both a VS265R and a VS100R head... both of these were series II valvestates and I liked them a lot. The distortion tones out of them weren't very good compared to my boogie but they were useable... i opted for pedals. However the clean sounds on the amps were very good and they just LOVED having pedals crammed in their face. Volume was never in short supply. I always managed to get very good useable tones out of those. It's a real good amp if you're on a budget but again, not worth more than $300.

The AVT's and MG's just suck horrible ass IMO. Thin, weak, fizzy, and unreliable as all hell.

Comment

Disclaimer : I'm a Fender tube amp freak !

BUT ! I do own 1 Marshall ! And it's a 8080 valvestate. The cleans are a
                  Lil' strerile to me ( Remember... I'm a Fender guy) but it's not bad amp.
                  I've done plenty of gigs with it even letting the other guitarist in the band
                  use my Fender tube amp ( cuz' i wanted the Les Paul/Marshall sound) And
                  it fit the bill.On a budget it's not a bad amp.
                  http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

The only amp I've ever used is a Marshall VS102R combo amp. I think it's pretty damn good myself and it's perfectly adequate for my needs. And I play everything from Jazz to Metal. When I jammed with my friend who had a JCM2000, for some reason, my distortion tone was much more rich and saturated than his. He had the edge with clean sounds, though. FYI he had an SG and I had a Strat.

Comment

I tried the old ones, and they sound like crap.
                      You will be be better off saving up or go for a modeler IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                        Hate em. They sound so artificial and harsh. Just save up buddy.
                        I ditto that. I tried one myself, the distortion was decent the clean channel was WEAK (as in no oomph or power). The 40-watt Traynor I now own blew it out of the water. There just ain't no substitute for a full tube amp like a Marshall JCM, JMT, Mesa Boogie, Traynor etc.
                        Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

If you're going to play at home, I second the suggestion to go with a modeler. If you are going to practice with a band and play out, save a bit more and get something like a Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV-20 or 40, or save a little longer get a used Marshall JCM800. A modeler is good for home use, whereas a tube amp will usually get the cops to show up. You'll probably have to buy pedals, too, if using a tube amp at home.
                          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Well, I don't really care about the distortion on these, but I do care about the clean channel. I'm going to be using a fat strat w/a duncan invader, so I want to know what will give me the best clean tone. I got enough distortion with my pedals.
                            A candy coated dream with parks and trees and figurines and her arms wrapped 'round my sleeve.
                            With tiny steps and eyes of green; Toy guitar that's out of tune, eyes fixed on morning time cartoons. And by the lantern of the moon I will dream of a love like you.

Comment

had a valvestate avt150h with 2 avt 4-12 cabs... Junk, junk and more junk.... but if you like a digital sound get one. That's all it sounded like to me anyways. No nice analog sounding waveforms. Just a horrible bad a/d converted type sound is all i heard. After i stopped thinking oh it's a marshall it must be good anyways. Took me a couple months. However that was a couple years ago and i've smartened up since.
                              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Working...
                              X