Marshall Valvestate, yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Valvestate, yay or nay?

ive played the avt half stack and it sounded alright nothing really impressive though also played the mg series fullstack and it sounded like ass
    Guitars
    MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
    MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
    Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
    Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
    MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
    70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
    Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
    Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

I agree with the above posts...just wait and save another $200 and you'll be able to find a nice used tube amp...JCM900 maybe?

When I got my first "big" amp I got a used marshall vsh100...and at the time I thought it sounded good, listening to recordings now makes me want to cringe.

I had that thing for two or three years before I finally decided to save up and get a nice tube amp. Do yourself a favor and go straight for the tubes!
      thereveling.com

Comment

Nay.
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

With a double tube half-stack behind my back, I still didn't quit loving my old trusty 8080. Okay, it is not vintage in any means, not "nice" sounding at all (it's rather aggressive or modern sounding stuff) and it's easy to set really bad etc etc but with good settings and some patience you can get good tones. The clean channel is just a plain sold state clean that can be harsh, for pedal use I'd suggest using the boost channel with OD1 and the gain level kept below 10 o'clock (dirty threshold)

Anyway, I'd suggest as it's been suggested: spare a littlebit more and buy a tube amp.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 12-08-2004, 11:14 AM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

Most people will say to save a little more and buy a tube amp, but they dont realize that most young people (and I'm assuming you are young like me) dont have the income to save anymore. If A Skater doesn't work, how is he going to save more money? By telling him to wait, he's just gunna end up waiting forever to get the money for a tube amp.

I use an AVT50Head and AVT412 Cabinet. The cleans suck, and I have to crank the volume to be even heard on stage. If you go valvestate, make sure you get 100 watts.

However, I recommend you don't go valvestate. I say go for the Behringer or Line 6 Spider or something of that sort. If you can't afford a tube amp (hey, neither can I), I'd get a great modeling amp. I regret buying my AVT... and I doubt you want to be regretting a purchase either.

My .02 cents.
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I've owned an AVT50 combo for 3 years now. I wanted to get an all tube Marshall but couldn't afford it at the time so I got this. Sure there are better sounding amps out there around the same price, but I'm a Marshall fan & this amp has suited my needs fine. It does sounds better cranked & since I've started gigging with a new band lately, it keeps up just fine. I find it does have a smidgen of that warm tube sound, especially after it heats up, so I will take a little tubage than none at all. That 12AX7 has to be doing something. The other guitarist in the band uses a JCM800 halfstack & this little guy can hold it's own. Mind you, my master is on 7 & his is on 2.

I've always wanted to get an all-tube Marshall halfstack but sometimes it's nice to only have to carry a little 40 lb combo around.

So I will have to say yay, but take into mind I'm partial to Marshall & am an owner of an AVT.
              Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Comment

Taking people's advice(joelap, you helped a lot as well as many of you's), I'm going to skip this amp to get another amp that isn't Marshall. Since I don't work, and I need an amp for my band's practices, I'm going to find something BESIDES marshall. Thanks guys.
                A candy coated dream with parks and trees and figurines and her arms wrapped 'round my sleeve.
                With tiny steps and eyes of green; Toy guitar that's out of tune, eyes fixed on morning time cartoons. And by the lantern of the moon I will dream of a love like you.

Comment

Working...
                X