• Show
Clear All

• Re: The 'post your Ibanez' thread

Can’t put a Dimebucker in a new RG 550
    Got any proof?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I got the cheap rx40 today for the nephew. The sellers definition of low action was vastly different from mine either way its not that high it can't be played and i noticed the saddles are dropped right down which is telling me the neck needs a shim. I'm not going to bother i was able to jam out hard on it so i think it will be ok as a test to see if he can learn.

I will get some pictures tomorrow its in nice condition and i wouldn't have minded it myself for doing a poor mans floral jem tribute.

I did the artwork (awhile ago) ready for printing onto material which is essential the same thing vai did but with his mums curtains.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Got any proof?
        I think he means he's trying and failing so far???
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

My modded 87 Fuji-Gen RS-135.

Comment

I love the looks and the layout of the RG's. The problem for me is their necks. Too thin and flat on the back. I've heard Paul Gilbert explain the neck on his Fireman as being really fat but the production model for the consumer is thinner. I think I'd need one of his personal guitars to be comfortable. I think one of his later PGM models has/had a fatter neck on it.

Comment

My 7stg prestige s has a really thin neck, which i have adapted to over the years. The necks on my 2 rgews are actually a little thicker, i was surprised. A lot of people seem to prefer thinner necks. I’m in the same boat as you, though, i’ve always prefered some meat left on it. Probably because my hands are huge.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                I love the looks and the layout of the RG's. The problem for me is their necks. Too thin and flat on the back. I've heard Paul Gilbert explain the neck on his Fireman as being really fat but the production model for the consumer is thinner. I think I'd need one of his personal guitars to be comfortable. I think one of his later PGM models has/had a fatter neck on it.
                Iirc some of the RG-predecessors like the Roadstars had some more meat, as did the 70s guitars
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Pauls old blue PGM from the first runs also has a nice substantial neck....
                  My Roadstar has a nice 60's feel neck...good medium neck....I don't like the too big necks unless the shape is just right...or my thumb will act up badly and cause annoying pain and numbness.

Comment

My 1989 RG550. Originally black, previous owner refinished it. I think it looks nice.

Edit, sorry the 90 degrees rotation. Mobile phones..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_221802.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5810099

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Iirc some of the RG-predecessors like the Roadstars had some more meat, as did the 70s guitars
                      They did. Even Charvels and Kramers from the early 80's had more meat on the necks. I'm not too fond of the Roadstar shape though.

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                      Pauls old blue PGM from the first runs also has a nice substantial neck....
                      My Roadstar has a nice 60's feel neck...good medium neck....I don't like the too big necks unless the shape is just right...or my thumb will act up badly and cause annoying pain and numbness.
                      That's right, the blue one did as did the white one. I think the Swamp Ash sunburst one from recent years does as well.

I picked up a RG6003FM in Saphire Blue at GC and tinkered with it. While the neck is thin, it did feel more comfortable than others I have played. It's been a long time so could be the difference between the Wizard II and Wizard III (which it has). Didn't bring it home but I was tempted. Hardtail, dual humbuckers with the usual Ibby 5-way wiring. Not a bad deal. The pickups are OK but some good DiMarzios would be better, like a set of Air Classics or PAF Pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                        My 1989 RG550. Originally black, previous owner refinished it. I think it looks nice.

Edit, sorry the 90 degrees rotation. Mobile phones..
                        I'm lying down at the moment so it's no big deal.

Comment

I hear that the Wizard II necks from Ibanez are the best...better than the Wizard III or any others. Anyone else have any comments about this?

;>)/
                          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I like nearly all guitars with a neck. Fat, thin - no problema. About the only ones I can't handle are the ones as narrow as a toothpick (arthritis is a PITA). Love wide necks with room for stoopid fingers.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                              I hear that the Wizard II necks from Ibanez are the best...better than the Wizard III or any others. Anyone else have any comments about this?

;>)/
                              Both of mine are Wizard II
                              And I dont care for the Wizard III at all
                              Seems wider and doesn't have rolled edges

The handful I touched in GC several years ago
                              Had the binding sticking out like a knife down the side of the neck
                              I was shocked At that $700 price tag on such an obviously flawed axe
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Im not sure which neck my RG550 has, but it's more comfortable than the Wizzrd II neck on RG370 and S7320 that i used to own. Somehow it feels more smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X