Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

I was jamming on a Vox AC15C1 the other day and loved it... I have heard they have big issues with reliability. Whats the deal with this? Anyone have good or bad experience with their amps?
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

Yes. Like an Italian Car. They run hot. Cost of maintenance is prohibitive....
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have heard......

Comment

With the tube Vox's, it's often tube related or heat related.

The Valvetronix amps have a shelf life of about 7 - 8 years, like most appliances these days....at least my blue grill head did. And once they go, and are out of warranty, it's the same price to buy a new one as it is to pay to fix it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Vintage Vox amps will break if you look at 'em sideways and some of them (AC-50 and AC-100) were real bad to catch on fire.

The new CC series are rather cheaply made but I think they are better than most folks give 'em credit for.

The new Handwired amps seem to be really solid.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

It just occurred to me that my Lil' Night Train is sitting right underneath where my 513 is hanging on the wall. I feel a bit of a reorg coming on...
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

The original ac 15s and ac 30s were prone to overheating and catching on fire.

Comment

Lets just say this.....

If you are using both a VOX and a Gibson Les Paul, you're going need a new setup by the time you're done jamming.

It might just be a certain chords though.

Strike a B minor and the headstock will fall off while the VOX will spontaneously catch on fire.

Trust me. I seen it.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

I've been running a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix amp since 2006. It's been gigged a lot, lots of rehearsals and loads of home jamming and practice. Needless to say, it's seen a lot of use. No problems.

Comment

The new ones are very good and sound nice, I read many of people love the C1 prb have better ventilation now. The handwireds are the best since post 60's only amp I held on too it oozes tone
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

IME, the Valvetronix (AD/VT series) have been problematic at best- I've owned..4? 5? (2x15w, 1x50w, and 2x30w) Not one of them was problem free, my first 2 had to be replaced withing a month of purchase ,and my last 2 (both 15 watters ) died within 2 years of purchase. Good thing is they are super cheap.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

We have a handwired AC30H2 as one of our test amps - you don't wanna look inside one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          With the tube Vox's, it's often tube related or heat related.

The Valvetronix amps have a shelf life of about 7 - 8 years, like most appliances these days....at least my blue grill head did. And once they go, and are out of warranty, it's the same price to buy a new one as it is to pay to fix it.
                          I'm very lucky to date with my VTH120 Blue head..Play it almost everyday and have gigged alot with it...When it takes a dump,it gets fixed locally and put back in action..Love this amp,especially for home practicing...Played through it again last night over an hour...Did you ever have your's fixed and what went south on it?
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I had a new AC15CC1X or something like that, I can't remember the exact model code.

I owned it for a couple of years before passing it on. It mostly stayed home and didn't go on any gigs. I had no problems with it at all.
                            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                              Lets just say this.....

If you are using both a VOX and a Gibson Les Paul, you're going need a new setup by the time you're done jamming.

It might just be a certain chords though.

Strike a B minor and the headstock will fall off while the VOX will spontaneously catch on fire.

Trust me. I seen it.
                              -
                              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X