No announcement yet.

Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

Originally posted by slightly_rude View Post
    I bought my AC15C1 new back in 2010. No issues so far other than noisy preamp tubes.
    Changes made to the C1 compared to the CC1 were supposed to improve reliability. It's been a solid, good sounding amp.
    This makes me feel a little better. I want one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Vintage Vox amps will break if you look at 'em sideways and some of them (AC-50 and AC-100) were real bad to catch on fire.

The new CC series are rather cheaply made but I think they are better than most folks give 'em credit for.

The new Handwired amps seem to be really solid.
      Afraid not, i bought a AC15HW1 yesterday and it's going back today, no replacement as they are not making any till March but has to be repaired as it has a crackling and apparently its a bad valve, £1000 amp and Vox don't even bother to check them when they are built.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
        Afraid not, i bought a AC15HW1 yesterday and it's going back today, no replacement as they are not making any till March but has to be repaired as it has a crackling and apparently its a bad valve, £1000 amp and Vox don't even bother to check them when they are built.
        Welcome to the forum! I should point out that this thread is seven years old, and people have most likely moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
          I was jamming on a Vox AC15C1 the other day and loved it... I have heard they have big issues with reliability. Whats the deal with this? Anyone have good or bad experience with their amps?
          these threads are old..but itt seems Vox have done it again by making the AC10 C1 a closed back.. If you buty one cut a vent in the back and fit extension shields to pre amp tubes

Comment

There is a statistically unignorable probability that every Vox amp since the original post of this thread has broken.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I've been running a Gen 1 Night Train for about ten years now. Two days ago, it started eating fuses the second it's turned on, even after I pulled all the tubes.

Honestly, requiring a trip to the tech once per decade seems acceptable to me.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                There is a statistically unignorable probability that every Vox amp since the original post of this thread has broken.
                I'm actually really interested in this hypothesis. People still using their Vox's? I'm on the brink of buying one, and was wondering the same, if they are fairly unreliable.
                "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                  I was jamming on a Vox AC15C1 the other day and loved it... I have heard they have big issues with reliability. Whats the deal with this? Anyone have good or bad experience with their amps?
                  Reminds me those "...but, Harley's leak oil" comments; when referring to a post AMC Harley Davidson. Modern VOX amplifiers are as stout as any other modern production amplifier.

Comment

Personally, I flew with Asian Vox AC15 or AC10 checked in the belly of a plane approximately in a light duty flight case about 25 times in the last 4 years and many countries. They never gave me any trouble. Vox proved more durable than other backup amps that did the same trips to gigs in case the Backline sucked.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Last year I bought an AC30S1 and I sure hope reliability has been addressed in the last 7 years. I really like the sounds I get with it but visits to the tech here in Switzerland would soon surpass the price of the amp.

Comment

Working...
                      X