No announcement yet.

Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Vox's reliability really that bad?

I've got an AC15C1. Had it for about 8 months now with no issues. The tubes went bad very fast but that was a simple fix.

The amp does get hot and I have heard that it can burn through tubes pretty fast. We will see how long my new tubes last compared to the cheapo chinese tubes that came with it.

I love mine and would recommend it to anyone in the market.
    Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by beggar_guitar View Post
      I've got an AC15C1. Had it for about 8 months now with no issues. The tubes went bad very fast but that was a simple fix.

The amp does get hot and I have heard that it can burn through tubes pretty fast. We will see how long my new tubes last compared to the cheapo chinese tubes that came with it.

I love mine and would recommend it to anyone in the market.
      Run a fan behind it, problem solved.

Used to have to do the same with my old Marshall JTM60
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

I think I'm just going to scope one out once I get some extra money. The one I played was $400 used, almost mint, retubed with JJs. Sounded great! I'll probably just run a fan behind it.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

i REFUSE to open my AC4TV because of the fact every known way to get electrocuted is right at the tubes... I do though want a merc-mag set and a celestion gold g10 in there though
          <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

Originally posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
            i REFUSE to open my AC4TV because of the fact every known way to get electrocuted is right at the tubes... I do though want a merc-mag set and a celestion gold g10 in there though
            ? I open all my amps to look at the beautiful innards. I know not to touch the board but I have never had an issue just looking or changing tubes....
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I love my AC15C1 and have had no trouble with it. I play a LP with it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                I'm very lucky to date with my VTH120 Blue head..Play it almost everyday and have gigged alot with it...When it takes a dump,it gets fixed locally and put back in action..Love this amp,especially for home practicing...Played through it again last night over an hour...Did you ever have your's fixed and what went south on it?
                Are you saying it's been perfect, or you've had it fixed before?

Mine started sounding like the power section was cutting in and out, till it stopped altogether. I changed the tube a few times, and checked all the jacks on the amp. Mine's been sitting for over a year, since I've been putting off bringing it 30 miles to the Vox Service center. I need to get it fixed because it was a valuable tone tool.

I love the older blue grill amps.
                Mine was the 68th Valvetronix made, so I call it my 68 Vox. haha
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Nearly everyone who has owned or played through one is in love with the Vox sound. . .however, if you cruise by the Vox forum page you will see there are a lot of complaints about problems with some of the units. There are a few models that seem to be mostly trouble free, but other lines are practically notorious. .

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Are you saying it's been perfect, or you've had it fixed before?

Mine started sounding like the power section was cutting in and out, till it stopped altogether. I changed the tube a few times, and checked all the jacks on the amp. Mine's been sitting for over a year, since I've been putting off bringing it 30 miles to the Vox Service center. I need to get it fixed because it was a valuable tone tool.

I love the older blue grill amps.
                    Mine was the 68th Valvetronix made, so I call it my 68 Vox. haha
                    No GJ my amp has never had a problem and is stock other than the 2 RCA 12AX7s I stuck in it when I got it new...Like your's mine is an earlier one and the better of the series.
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Knock on wood, I haven't had one problem with my blue grill AD60VTX or Tonelab LE. Well, the modulation button on my LE can get wonky, but I had to learn to be easier on the buttons, ha ha. IIRC, I had ordered a silver grill 50 watt combo that came from MF first, and it had all sorts of problems straight from the box, so I sent it back and went to GC and bought the VTX. I got it 11/05 and it has been super solid since then. I hope that 7/8 year lifespan doesn't hold true!
                      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

The early silver grill 50 watters didn't have a fan so they would tend to overheat and fail. The ones from at least 2006 (maybe sooner) onward have the fan. Mine has a fan (I can hear it kick on) and no problems. The latest silver grills are really sweet. More models, more memory spots to save settings, more effects. I'd look at one if my AD50VT died but it's still kicking like new.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          I've been running a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix amp since 2006. It's been gigged a lot, lots of rehearsals and loads of home jamming and practice. Needless to say, it's seen a lot of use. No problems.
                          x2

Mine even got wet once. I replaced the fuse and was back in business inside 10 minutes.

I have probably played that amp, I don't know, 1000 hours, easily 100+ times out of the house and easily 100+ gigs.

I have worn out a Toyota pickup truck and a Honda Accord in the same time that I have had no success in killing my Valvetronix.

I have had several amps in and out since I got it, and it has earned a place in the permanent staff.

I give it my seal of empirical-and-specifically-not-hearsay-reliability.
                          Last edited by ImmortalSix; 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM.
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I know it's a tiny amp, but my AC4TV was with me in Alberta. It was dragged around, fell down stairs, had beer spilt on it, was kicked accidentally by myself, and still did not miss a beat. I use that thing every day.
                            - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by drpietrzak View Post
                              I love my AC15C1 and have had no trouble with it. I play a LP with it as well.
                              Once your LP explodes into a pile of toothpicks, you can use the Vox to light it on fire, and now it's a party!
                              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I bought my AC15C1 new back in 2010. No issues so far other than noisy preamp tubes.
                                Changes made to the C1 compared to the CC1 were supposed to improve reliability. It's been a solid, good sounding amp.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                                Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                                Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                                Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Working...
                                X