banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the Epiphone Probuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any experience with the Epiphone Probuckers?

Cool beans. I can't wait!
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Any progress on the Frankensteining?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
      Nope...

Comment

The whole process will end by the end of June, so... July it is (a new harness is in the works).

Unless life gets in the way...

Comment

I know this is a WAY old thread, but just to confirm....Got a guitar recently with the Probuckers, or at least the Probucker bridge. I'll know more tonight when I rip them out. Hate'em. Dead sounding and fuzzy to me. Sounded like crap in an Epiphone Traditional Pro both by themselves and with the band.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

yes… I own both pro and burst buckers…. They aren't just like the Burstbuckers ….but the PB are my new fans…. Just a hour ago I bought a set of PB's… I love them

Comment

To the ones that haven't followed my other threads about the Epi Probuckers, which is bit of a misnomer, as they're actually exist Epi Probuckers, based on Gibson's Burstbuckers #2 and #3.

The ones that I got with my ES-339 are the Alnico Classic Pro, which are based on nowadays' '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus set, one may think.

Here are the links:

HTH,

Comment

From what I've been able to put together, the Epiphone "PRO" series are made separately from other Epi electrics at a new factory with better quality control. The back of my Genesis' headstock has two decals: one saying that it comes from the Epiphone "Custom Shop" (I'm a little dubious) and that it's "handcrafted in China". More dubious so I gnawed my fingernails hoping it wouldn't be junk when it arrived even though I got the guitar on sale for $300. I could tell from the body shape that it was likely to have the sound I was looking for. Worth the risk. I've seen photos of Epi's in the pages of catalogs where the junkiness was obvious. Not this one. Everything about the Genesis (mine, anyway) belies all the nasty things said about Chinese Epiphones. My guitar's flawless. As for the pups, I've read that Gibson "reverse-engineered" some of their original late 50's/early 60's humbuckers and found them to be very inconsistent, which is one reason that old Les Pauls all sound different. The magnet types were random and the coils couldn't help but be asymmetrical since they were hand-wound until the bobbins "looked full". They chose the magnets that yielded the most pleasant tone, those being alnico II's (remember, there was no hard rock in the late 50's/early 60's and chords didn't have to hold together at ultra-high gain), and the precise number of scatter-wound windings to give the pickup a lot of harmonic overtones and just the right amount of bite. The result was supposedly a more consistent replica of pups from that era, which Gibson named the "Burst bucker". The PRObuckers are made from the BB's design specs and from exactly the same materials. All that said, I have to account for the fact that the Genesis is a bright-toned guitar with almost telecaster-like treble. The lo-mids and bass are like a Les Paul. This is exactly the sound I'd hoped for and the PRObuckers give it to me with warmth, balance and clarity. I love 'em.

Comment

I bought them to upgrade my donated Epiphone SG 400. After installing them I wanted to go back to the primal EPIPHONE pickups. Eventually I got to like them. They are not bad but different. With my nail picking style they produce a lot of harmonics. They are not as loud as my Gibson 490T/R pickups but their sound is enough inspiring for me to keep them as well as the underestimated Epiphone.

Comment

Working...
                  X