banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the Epiphone Probuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with the Epiphone Probuckers?

I saw a post from someone who compared them on another forum saying they are nice pickups but not anywhere near the Burstbuckers they're modeled after. Anyone here ever hear them?
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Any experience with the Epiphone Probuckers?

Is there anybody....OUT THERE?

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

The PRObuckers are very new and are not being offered in all new models but only in a very few.

The Epi Ultra 339 comes with those p'ups and I'll be getting one once they become available in Italy.

I'll be reporting if they're something to write home about or not. They actually look very good on paper...

HTH,
      Last edited by LtKojak; 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
        The PRObuckers are very new and are not being offered in all new models but only in a very few.

The Epi ES 339 comes with those p'ups and I'll be getting one once they become available in Italy.

I'll be reporting if they're something to write home about or not. They actually look very good on paper...

HTH,
        It's funny, but I only realized about a half hour ago that I've heard them before. I tried out an Epi Traditional Pro around six or eight months ago through an Egnater Tweaker amp, but I didn't know they came stock with the Probuckers. I remember thinking that they were pretty good sounding pickups through that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
          It's funny, but I only realized about a half hour ago that I've heard them before. I tried out an Epi Traditional Pro around six or eight months ago through an Egnater Tweaker amp, but I didn't know they came stock with the Probuckers. I remember thinking that they were pretty good sounding pickups through that amp.
          Only the bridge p'up was a PRObucker, the PRObucker 3. The neck p'up was the usual 8.5K Mudbucker...

The Epi Ultra 339 come with PRObuckers II and III, and that's the one I'm getting once they become available in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335
            A2's right? Buried in wax?
            Yep, A2s, but they are uncovered in the Traditional Pro, so it's not the typical "block of wax" that you see when you pull the cover, lol. Actually, I believe the Alnico Classic is an A5 (which Lt. Kojak informed me above that the neck pickup is the AC.)

Only the bridge p'up was a PRObucker, the PRObucker 3. The neck p'up was the usual 8.5K Mudbucker...

The Epi Ultra 339 come with PRObuckers II and III, and that's the one I'm getting once they become available in Italy.
            Really? I know I only played the neck split and did a few blues licks, and it sounded okay. I usually only use the neck pickup for cleans and solos so maybe that's why I didn't hate the sound, plus it wasn't caked in wax. Wasn't bowled over by it mind you, but didn't hate it; it was usable for what I played. The bridge pickup sounded a little fuzzy but good. That may have something to do with the amp because I didn't crank it too loud. I always feel weird cranking up an amp in a music store because I don't like bothering everyone with my lousy playing. Unless I'm actually going to buy, I don't crank.

Comment

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!! Okay, I'm sure these pickups have had some light of day now. Whady'a think of'em?

Comment

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!! Okay, I'm sure these pickups have had some light of day now. Whady'a think of'em?
                I like them a lot. They don't sound just like BB's, but the specs are great and the tones are very good. Used to be the first requirement for an Epi was new PU's. Not any more. Changing them is optional, not mandatory. I've spent some time playing the new LP Std Pro (Probuckers), LP Royale (Alnico Classic Pros), and '60's Tribute (Gibson '57's). Well-made guitars and the prices are held, or lowered, from what they used to be.

Also very good are 'Alnico Classic Pros' which are primarily in models with push-pulls (as are Probuckers). These are not the same as 'Alnico Classics'; two almost identical names, a source of worldwide confusion due a questionable decision on the part of the marketing department. Still good PU's though. Epi's really stepped up their game in PU's. I think these upgraded PU's (both of which have A2's) sound better in LP's than the Gibson '57's that come stock in Epi '60's Tributes.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Well, as I've said some time ago, I wanted to get me an Epi ES-339, so I've recently found one at a price that it was impossible to say no to, so I got it. It came with Probuckers modeled after the BB#1 and BB#2, which read 7.83K in the neck and 8.23K in the bridge.

Playing'em by themselves, they're good. They make this instrument very pleasing to the ear; they're very even-sounding, and both positions by themselves sound as "Gibson-y" as you can expect'em to sound. I was even able to get the "chirp" position right. Very encouraging first impression!

When I put it through its paces with a band, HERE is what separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

The Probuckers got everything right but the LIFE of the p'ups. For my taste, they have no enough dynamics and the sound is completely bi-dimensional. Not dull, mind you; but they didn't really responded to various picking techniques, so if I have to come up with a word, well... uninspiring is the first that comes to mind.

The day after I put an A2 modded '59 set I had lying around, as the lifelessness could be atributed to the guitar itself that, BTW, is VERY neutral-sounding and not particularly resonant or vibrant. Being brand-new and made with not first grade tonewood, this was expected. This guitar has to be "broken-in", so to speak.

The tone was different, as one can expect... but what it stroke me the most was how LIVELY the instrument suddenly got. Like it was possessed; just not speaking in tongues, LOL! The instrument simply start speaking to me, and I liked what it was saying.

Even the guys of the band noticed the change, they asked me if last time I was having a bad day or something!

So folks: Probuckers are good p'ups and very pleasing sounding. A newcomer would find him/herself with a pleasing experience and a nice platform to grow with. However, putting Duncans in it, even Pros would find themselves with a solid tone foundation that won't make'en miss that much their several-thousand dollars first-choice instruments.

This is NOT hearsay, this is an actual experience that I just had, so my memory is not failing on me!

If you're serious 'bout your tone, Duncans really are a good investment.

HTH,
                  Last edited by LtKojak; 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Thanks for sharing that experience about the Probuckers. Sounds like they are a definite improvement over the usual cheapy import pups, but still not close to being on par with a Duncan.

I can truly say that "I never met a SD I didn't like". Admittedly...some I like more than others, however.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Anything I've jammed Duncans in sounds pro. Even cheap pieces of scrapwood, lol. Thanks guys. I had not heard much about these pickups, and was wondering if I got one of the new Genesis guitars (I know, don't hate me) what the chances are of a pickup swap. I'm spoiled. I'm crazy about Duncans and the Dimarzio Super Distortion. I think the chances are now kind of high I'd swap'em.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        they are a definite improvement over the usual cheapy import pups, but still not close to being on par with a Duncan.
                        Well, they got the "nice" part right, Doc, I can tell you that.

If you don't have another instrument with really good p'ups to compare, or a decade long experience in p'up changing/swapping/modding, you may not even notice the flat, two-dimensional sound they produce.

A stock Epi ES-339 Pro holds tremendous value for the coin. A novice/newcomer gets, although a bit too "polite" for my taste, an extremely nice-sounding and playing instrument, which can be turned pro just with installing good pots, caps and p'ups. Even the stock hardware is not bad at all!

Once I'll get the frets leveled and dressed, and the new harness and p'up set installed, I'll post a NGD. Stay tuned!

Comment

Well, they got the "nice" part right, Doc, I can tell you that.

If you don't have another instrument with really good p'ups to compare, or a decade long experience in p'up changing/swapping/modding, you may not even notice the flat, two-dimensional sound they produce.

A stock Epi ES-339 Pro holds tremendous value for the coin. A novice/newcomer gets, although a bit too "polite" for my taste, an extremely nice-sounding and playing instrument, which can be turned pro just with installing good pots, caps and p'ups. Even the stock hardware is not bad at all!

Once I'll get the frets leveled and dressed, and the new harness and p'up set installed, I'll post a NGD. Stay tuned!
                          How are the acoustic tones on that guitar? Is the system in the Epi at least comparable to the Ghost system? That's another guitar that I have been dying to get my hands on, but I never seen to have time to get to the music store to plug one in and mess around.

Comment

How are the acoustic tones on that guitar? Is the system in the Epi at least comparable to the Ghost system? That's another guitar that I have been dying to get my hands on, but I never seen to have time to get to the music store to plug one in and mess around.
                            Mine is NOT the Ultra 339, but the ES-339 Pro.

HTH,

Comment

I've been thinking that the main reason for the lack of liveliness is the lacking of the alloys transmitting the magnetic field.

So, just to confirm or not my suspicion, after getting the instrument from a due fret job, I'd just change all the allegedly lacking parts and see if they'll come to life.

I'll be reporting once the "Frankensteinizing" is done, allowing some days for the magnetic field to stabilize.

Stay tuned!
                              Last edited by LtKojak; 11-30-2014, 10:47 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Working...
                              X