banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

My Keeley Blues Driver even with the Fat mode on is still a bit too gentle on the low mids and lows. Great as a boost, but I want something else because it's also a gritty sounding pedal and I want another flavor.

I want a really warm creamy overdrive sound, smooth as silk with long sustain for soloing even with vintage pups (so it needs plenty of gain on tap),
    I'd love the usual TS mid boost as well, but what I really want is a REALLY fat sound, going into a clean amp.

So fat it makes single coils sound huge, and humbuckers borderline fuzzy. I'd love that.

What are my choices? Since it's gonna be a clean amp I imagine most fuzz boxes are out? Am I wrong?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Diego; 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

I had a Wampler Ecstasy that could pull off what you're describing. It was a little too much "fat" through my Lonestar, in fact, as it's a warm amp on its own.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

BB Preamp for single coils. Creamy: yes. Fat: YES - turn the bass knob up and you are set!

I don't know if it'll get too fuzzy on ya for humbuckers, it stays in the distortion territory for the most part. I love a RAT for humbuckers personally for that "slightly fuzzy" fat distorted tone.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

A You Dirty Rat and/or a Green Rhino. If you're describing a warm, fat, liquid-y lead sound then a YDR can do that. If you want something to fatten up leads by boosting a dirty amp or another pedal, then a Rhino can do that.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Jetter Gain Stage Red...look no further!!!

Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
            I had a Wampler Ecstasy that could pull off what you're describing. It was a little too much "fat" through my Lonestar, in fact, as it's a warm amp on its own.

Hmm. Just me or even in the smooth mode it still retains a bit of a gritty attitude?
            That thing's got balls man!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
              So fat it makes single coils sound huge, and humbuckers borderline fuzzy. I'd love that.
              Wampler Ecstasy

Holy crap.

Hearing Diego's description of what he wanted, then hearing that video, I was taken aback.

That is exactly what he described!

Moments like these are when I recognize why we invented internet forums in the first place.
              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

if you want something with a little more hair than the GSR...you can add a Helium to the mix (at the 2:51)...or the Green Rhino by itself is great as well!

Comment

I think I want both the Wampler and that GSR.
                  Absolutely AMAZING sounds from both.

Let's try and stick to smoother sounding boxes though...
                  the Wampler is still a bit too gritty I think, the GSR is oh-so-close to what I want but is it really that big sounding? It seems the Wampler sounds bigger.

Can the Wampler do something more velvety and creamy than that clip? If it does, I'm sold.
                  Last edited by Diego; 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Let's try and stick to smoother sounding boxes though... the Wampler is still a bit too gritty I think, the GSR is oh-so-close to what I want.
                    The Wampler was smoother sounding to me in person than that demo shows in smooth mode. Not sure if the difference I'm hearing is from the amp/speakers/pickups, but to me it almost sounded like he was still in crunch mode. Smooth mode is the "Dumble" setting on that pedal.

Another option is the Fuchs Extreme Cream.

Comment

I'm almost thinking you want fuzz - not an overdrive. Smooth and creamy is some sort of dense fuzz. Not OD. To me...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Let's try and stick to smoother sounding boxes though... the Wampler is still a bit too gritty I think, the GSR is oh-so-close to what I want.
                        The GSR is THE smoothest pedal i've ever played...they don't make it anymore, so you'll have to go used. They do have the Red Shift...which is the "Hard" setting on the GSR and also a Gain Stage Purple. However, i LOVE the "Soft" setting on the GSR the most. They also have the Red Square...but again, it's the "Hard" setting combined with a Helium Boost in one box. The only place you can get that "Soft" setting is the original Gain Stage Red...and to me...that's where the smoothes-creamiest tones in a pedal can be found!!!

Comment

The Wampler was smoother sounding to me in person than that demo shows in smooth mode. Not sure if the difference I'm hearing is from the amp/speakers/pickups, but to me it almost sounded like he was still in crunch mode. Smooth mode is the "Dumble" setting on that pedal.

Another option is the Fuchs Extreme Cream.

****. That Fuchs absolutely NAILS what I have in mind.
                          Pricy though. The Wampler's a lot cheaper and I don't think I'd use both channels on the Fuchs, just one.

And derailing things a bit, WTF were they thinking when they allowed BARNEY to do the talking on their videos??
                          That guy is so Gung-Ho I want to strangle him!

And it's actually Plush, not Fuchs.
                          Last edited by Diego; 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

For that sound try the Visual Sounds Rt. 808 overdrive. It is a modified TS808 clone with an added bass boost switch.

I've been running one with the gain at 1 o'clock, tone at 3 o'clock, volume at about 9 o'clock to match the clean volume. I usually leave the bass boost off.

Running the VS808 with a tele (Jerry Donahue/APTR-1) with the guitar's volume and tone rolled back slightly it gets a really fat overdrive. Add the bass boost and it gives you a more bottom end to further fill out the sound. The cool thing about the bass boost is that it doesn't destroy the mids or the top end. It acts more like a fatter switch.

With my jaguar and humbuckers and the same OD settings (1/3/9/bass boost off) it can get slightly fuzzy on the top end. It makes a fantastic slide tone!

Overall the pedal responds well to different pickups and how you manipulate the controls on the guitar. It doesn't hurt that it is built well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get.

Before I settled on the VS 808 I purchased a few Tube Screamer variants from the used market and I did my own personal shootout. It was between a first run reissue of the TS9, and Analog Man modded TS9, and the VS 808. The AM and VS blew the stock TS9 out of the water. However, to my ears there was no clear winner, in terms of sound quality, between the Analog Man TS9 and the VS 808. Both pedals sounded great and because, blind, I couldn't hear the difference I decided to keep the VS808. It won because it has a lower price point. I figured awesome tone at $50 or awesome tone at $120? I sold the Analog Man and used it to by more toys.

Comment

And it's actually Plush, not Fuchs.
                              Plush is Fuchs' line of pedals. The "Cream" is a single channel version of the Extreme Cream.
                              Last edited by FretFire; 01-25-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X