banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

The MXR Classic Overdrive is creamy and easy on the wallet.

Comment

BBPreamp , OCD, Jetter Red Shift

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        Don't think I didn't think the same too regarding fuzz, Jerry.
        But then I understand you usually want fuzz in front of an overdriven amp, not a clean one right?
        fuzz is great into a clean amp.....better in a lot of ways cos the clean headroom allows that epic bottom end thru. Fuzzes, unlike overdrives do not trim off any bass frequencies

for overdrives i reckon the fulldrive does everything all the TS's and boutique clones do, and also gives you the mosfet mode which is fatter still. Smooth and creamy? yes definitely - especially into a fender.

still tho (i know I sound like a broken record and im sorry for that)....i reckon investing in sexy pedals is a waste of money thru a digital amp. Its just not possible to get them to work at their best the way they are designed - that applies to both the pedals and the amp.
        lol....one day you will thank me for my constant bi+ching.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-27-2012, 11:09 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by bigmack209 View Post
          man there's a lot of great suggestions. that video actually made me want the green rhino.
          I've owned a lot of really good OD pedals, and the Green Rhino really stands out for fatness and sustain. The best feature is the 100Hz knob, which was only at 3 in the above video. It sounded very Robben Ford-ish in the clip, but can get even thicker.

I'm also interested in the newest MXR Custom Modified Badass Overdrive, because I think it may be similar to the Green Rhino. It's also got Jorge Tripps behind it, and also features the 100Hz knob. Think of it as the FAT control.
          I only run my Green Rhino's 100Hz knob at 5 - 6. Past 7 and it's like turning your speakers into 15" bass cabs.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            I've owned a lot of really good OD pedals, and the Green Rhino really stands out for fatness and sustain. The best feature is the 100Hz knob, which was only at 3 in the above video. It sounded very Robben Ford-ish in the clip, but can get even thicker.

I'm also interested in the newest MXR Custom Modified Badass Overdrive, because I think it may be similar to the Green Rhino. It's also got Jorge Tripps behind it, and also features the 100Hz knob. Think of it as the FAT control.
            I only run my Green Rhino's 100Hz knob at 5 - 6. Past 7 and it's like turning your speakers into 15" bass cabs.
            i LOVE it too!!! it's the PERFECT compliment to my other 2 OD's! I love being able to dial that "FATNESS" in and out. the coolest part...is that even when it's all "swolled up", it still manages to cut through the mix!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Amp.....pedals gets tiresome in the long run!
              Always ends up.....sounding like pedels

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                fuzz is great into a clean amp.....better in a lot of ways cos the clean headroom allows that epic bottom end thru. Fuzzes, unlike overdrives do not trim off any bass frequencies

for overdrives i reckon the fulldrive does everything all the TS's and boutique clones do, and also gives you the mosfet mode which is fatter still. Smooth and creamy? yes definitely - especially into a fender.

still tho (i know I sound like a broken record and im sorry for that)....i reckon investing in sexy pedals is a waste of money thru a digital amp. Its just not possible to get them to work at their best the way they are designed - that applies to both the pedals and the amp.
                lol....one day you will thank me for my constant bi+ching.
                Haha, I know I will but don't sweat it man - I regularly play into very different amps. I've played and/or recorded with a JTM45 combo, a Twin Reverb, a 6505+, a Triple Rectifier and the best of them all, a Bogner Shiva.

I know what I'm missing. But I still have fun and if I upgrade my amp, I'll still have a badass pedalboard in front of me.
                Last edited by Diego; 01-28-2012, 08:54 AM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

I know what I'm missing. But I still have fun and if I upgrade my amp, I'll still have a badass pedalboard in front of me.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

don't mean to hijack the thread, but would a stomp box like the green rhino get a decent layer of very light gain without the fizz that i get with a TS?

This category of smooth/fat/buttery stomps can be extremely useful to the player that plugs straight into the mixer or uses non tube gear!
                    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      I'm almost thinking you want fuzz - not an overdrive. Smooth and creamy is some sort of dense fuzz. Not OD. To me...
                      I agree, the Big Muff Pi for example, although it's very midscooped it's also thick and sounds fat, think Smashing Pumpkins guitars for reference

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
                        Fulltone OCD

the reason I don't like it is that it's creamy and fat sounding. But if that's what you want, then there ya go.
                        mmmh, I have one, a great pedal but it has a lot of fizzy highs too, I can't define it creamy.

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                          don't mean to hijack the thread, but would a stomp box like the green rhino get a decent layer of very light gain without the fizz that i get with a TS?

This category of smooth/fat/buttery stomps can be extremely useful to the player that plugs straight into the mixer or uses non tube gear!
                          Yes

I'll agree with the other posts on here and say that the
                          green rhino is the most creamy sounding OD I have ever used.
                          Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

EHX Hot Tubes would be my suggestion based on what I've used. It has been my favorite "creamy" overdrive so far.

Creamy overdrive also works really well with a cocked wah or very mild phase shifting.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

2:15

2:25

1:05

/thread
                              Last edited by oilpit; 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM.
                              Originally posted by jcthejester13
                              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post

While we're talking about tube driven units, this one is a very nice choice for guitar. It also comes up cheaper than the Tube Driver, as not as many people know about it. Very creamy tones, especially with a 12AU7 in the tube socket.

Just typing about it makes me want another one.

- Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                                X