X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Originally posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    and of course they didn't have the 150k resistor
    120K or a 180K work quite similar to a 150K, the bias should not shift that much

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
      120K or a 180K work quite similar to a 150K, the bias should not shift that much
      I think all they had were 100k and 220k.

After I got home and browsed around, I saw online that they have a 500 pc. resistor assortment for $12.99. I think I'll just grab one of those and then I'll have on hand what I need in the future.
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

if you want there are a lot of sellers on the web, here an example:

Comment

John Spina (stratdeluxer97) modded mine and it sounds very very good. Maybe if you PM'd him and asked nicely he'd tell you what he did to it...

Comment

I got a chance to use the pedal through the amp at loud volume and I'm impressed. I may not even need to change the R6 value. Just the gain drop alone was worth it. Made it a very useable pedal.

I was using the pedal through the clean channel of my Stiletto Ace with the Dist. knob at about 2:00 - something I wouldn't even dream of before.

Heck, I was thinking a person make some extra dough by advertising the mod service for say, $10 on craigslist and perform it while the customer waits. Easy money!
            Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
              you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Should I get High quality parts for this fat mod for R6 and R9 or standard parts?

Also I wish to try the LED mod in conjunction with the above, just to see how it works, what LED's do I need, voltage, etc.

also if that doesn't work, I would like to fit some funky lights to the pedal which just run off the power circuit just for the coolness and effect with a new paint job
                Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

sorry but BUMP.

I need to know as I am getting the parts in the morning, It's 3am here and Im late going sleep but first thing I get up im getting the bits.
                  Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Start with just changing the two resistors. One mod at a time. Hear what it sounds like. You may like it just like that. If not, then go down that path of swapping the diodes.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

And don't forget a spool of desoldering braid. Keeps the area nice and clean.

Also the 1/4 watt resistors are the ones to get. Whatever's available - metal film or carbon comp.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        Start with just changing the two resistors. One mode at a time. Hear what it sounds like. You may like it just like that. If not, then go down that path of swapping the diodes.
                        Couldn't agree more. The first pedal I modded, I failed to do this, and about six mods in, I realized that when I turned it on, I shorted the signal to ground. Even though the pedal still turned on, no sound went through it. Make sure to try each one, even though it's a royal pain.

Comment

my only issues with the ds-1 are the tonestack sucks and the volume never reaches unity with p-90s.
                          #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
                          #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
                          #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
                          #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
                          #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
                          Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
                          Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
                          Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

okies one at a time then. got the resistors and got the wrong one, Needed a 150K one not 100k, FAIL.... **** sake...
                            Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                              okies one at a time then. got the resistors and got the wrong one, Needed a 150K one not 100k, FAIL.... **** sake...
                              That's okay. I couldn't get a 150k myself. See how you like it without changing R6.

Comment

It is important to change both to the recommended values. They effect the bias of that transistor. If it's not biased right, the sound will get farty or no sound at all. You can order 150k resistors online. 120k should be OK but I wouldn't stray much further than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X