banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

guess how much guitar center charges for pickup replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: guess how much guitar center charges for pickup replacements?

Originally posted by Varg View Post
    At the gig we played on Saturday night there was a 16 year old kid there with a BC Rich, Floyd bridge. He broke a string and didnt know how to change it, had no tools or anything, so I did it for him and he told me he normally pays the local shop £40 to change his STRINGS!!!!
    i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Originally posted by o.p-i.v View Post
      For soldering a maximum of 4 wires per pickup they charge:
      70 bucks

RIP-OFF

I was down there last week and asked for fun and was blown away.
      I honestly hope no one has ever paid that much for a simple job
      The one I used to work at charged $45 per pickup... didn't matter if it was active or passive or how many wires.

I think you're getting shafted, dude.

Comment

The only time I've ever had to pay to do a pickup swap, was on my Les Paul Supreme. They have no back panel; everything has to be done through the over-size jack plate. Total PITA, and it was worth the $150 I paid for the swap and the installation of an RS control pot kit.

My other one is going to get the same treatment, but this time I will install some battery clip connectors, so I can easily swap things by just removing the pickup.

But the guy that did my first one...doesn't really want to do another one. LOL! Can't say as I blame him.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          The only time I've ever had to pay to do a pickup swap, was on my Les Paul Supreme. They have no back panel; everything has to be done through the over-size jack plate. Total PITA, and it was worth the $150 I paid for the swap and the installation of an RS control pot kit.

My other one is going to get the same treatment, but this time I will install some battery clip connectors, so I can easily swap things by just removing the pickup.

But the guy that did my first one...doesn't really want to do another one. LOL! Can't say as I blame him.

Bill
          It is a PITA, but I am sure you could do it. You tie a piece of string to each of the old pots, and to the jack, and a toothpick to the other end, so the strings don't fall through the holes. Pull out the old pots through the f hole, without untying the strings. (The jack only has to be unhooked to give the harness some slack.) Put in the new pickups and pull the leads out through the f hole. Solder it all together on a piece of cardboard with similarly placed holes. Drop the harness into the f hole and pull on each string to get each pot and the jack back through the right hole.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The only time I paid someone to wire a guitar for me was:

1. in a expensive semi-hollow Gibson ES335

2. Jimmy Page wiring on my Limited Edition Les Paul GOTW.

Yeah, it was expensive. But professionally done and saved me lots of headaches.
            If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
            DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

What, are you joking me? 70 bucks is highway robbery. Find a good tech , he should do it for half that.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                It is a PITA, but I am sure you could do it. You tie a piece of string to each of the old pots, and to the jack, and a toothpick to the other end, so the strings don't fall through the holes. Pull out the old pots through the f hole, without untying the strings. (The jack only has to be unhooked to give the harness some slack.) Put in the new pickups and pull the leads out through the f hole. Solder it all together on a piece of cardboard with similarly placed holes. Drop the harness into the f hole and pull on each string to get each pot and the jack back through the right hole.
                That would be do-able on a semi-hollow like a 335, but this ain't so easy...because the Les Paul Supreme model DOES NOT HAVE AN F-HOLE. You can't pre-solder the pots on a cardboard template. There's NO BACKPLATE, because of the flame maple cap on the back.

It all has to be done through the jackplate.

Trust me, a TOTAL PITA!!!

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                  That would be do-able on a semi-hollow like a 335, but this ain't so easy...because the Les Paul Supreme model DOES NOT HAVE AN F-HOLE. You can't pre-solder the pots on a cardboard template. There's NO BACKPLATE, because of the flame maple cap on the back.

It all has to be done through the jackplate.

Trust me, a TOTAL PITA!!!

Bill
                  OK, same thing works, though. Use the strings. Extend the pickup leads if you have to. Gibson probably did it the same way.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I charge people $15.

Comment

RIP! learn to do your own pup installs and any repair you can learn
                      Last edited by Ed Hunter; 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                        OMG! Everybody here has to do their own PU changes. If you're not sure, we'll teach you. That's money best put on PU's, not labor.
                        +1
                        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

If you think $70 is bad I called Sam Ash today and was quoted $100, now that is just flat out robbery. Looks like I will be replacing the pups myself, im sure it's all of a 15 minute job to do both. Im replacing my stock pups on my 2012 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro for Seymour Duncan slash humbuckers, honestly this epi just needs pup upgrades and a better toogle switch every thing else is pretty sweet, very close to its big brother from Gibson.

Comment

I try to get my friends to do it...
                            "Scalloped & Stickered"
                            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by epiaxx View Post
                              If you think $70 is bad I called Sam Ash today and was quoted $100, now that is just flat out robbery.
                              Ouch. I was paying a local guitar shop to do mine until I started doing them myself a few years ago. I never had to pay anything close to that, but it's fun and much more rewarding to change the pickups yourself.
                              ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                              2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                              Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

It costs so much since a tech in those places usually charges by the hour- maybe $60 to $120. Most don't charge fractions of an hour, so if it takes him a half hour, he's charging you for an hour.

Complain all you want- most of us do it ourselves, but there are many people scared of a soldering iron- and there is a market for people that will pay that amount

Comment

Working...
                                X