$7 tap tempo switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $7 tap tempo switch

I wanted an external tap switch for my DD-20, but didn't feel like dropping $20-30 on one of the huge Boss switches. There are some small metal options out there, but I need one this week. So, I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a couple of parts.

1) Small project enclosure (3" x 2" x 1")
    2) Momentary on/off switch

Total - $6.36. I had a 1/4" jack already, but add a dollar or two if you don't have one. Just drill a couple of holes, then wire it up (it's super easy), and it works great with the DD-20. I can easily tap in ridiculously quick speeds nearing 600bpm, so it's plenty responsive. We'll see how well the plastic enclosure holds up, but it should be fine for quite a while.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: $7 tap tempo switch

Awesome!! I might have to try that!
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Love it.

I also love Rich_S's tap tempo switch made from a Microsoft mouse.
      Last edited by ratherdashing; 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Shweeeeet.

Comment

Playing with my board layout, and it looks like I can stick this guy right under my M9. That'll make it easy to sync up my delay and modulation times with the same taps.

Comment

A cool little tip for tap tempo pedals is to put multiple jacks in the same enclosure. You wire all the jacks to the same switch and run separate cables to each tap tempo enabled pedal. You can sync up all of your taps with one single pedal.

Comment

The plastic enclosure will be fine, it's the plastic switch that's going to break. My friends and I used that switch on model rocket launches in the '70s, and they've never been durable.

IIRC, Boss really wants a normally-closed switch, I think with normal-open, it's going to trigger on the release rather than the stomp. Still workable, but a bit strange.

Here are some switches fom Small Bear that will hold up long-term.

Normally Open SPST
              Normally Closed SPST
              3PDT Momentary Wired to multiple jacks, this one could sync up to three different pedals all from the same switch. I've read about guys who do this with, say, a pair of DD-7s off the same tap switch.

BTW, it's me that made the switches out of mice. These are actually tremolo/reverb switches, but with a momentary switch, they'd make a great tap-tempo switch. IIRC, Boss really wants a normally-closed switch. I think I have one of those NC switches from above in my parts box; I keep meaning to convert another mouse I have lying around to a tap-tempo for my son's Boss looper.

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Those mice crack me up.

You dont need a 3PDT Momentary to hook up multiple pedals, a normal SPST works just fine. I have hooked up my Modfactor and timefactor this way with 1 Carling SPST(Just like the first one you listed from Smallbear) and it worked perfectly.

I don't know if you guys have any electronic surplus stores in your area but they are a great place to look for these types of switches and lots of other misc. things. I used to live right down the street from one and I found NOS Carling SPST momentaries for $2 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Tune-O-Matic View Post
                  A cool little tip for tap tempo pedals is to put multiple jacks in the same enclosure. You wire all the jacks to the same switch and run separate cables to each tap tempo enabled pedal. You can sync up all of your taps with one single pedal.
                  The M9 only has jacks for expression pedals and MIDI, not sure if an external tap will work with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                    BTW, it's me that made the switches out of mice.
                    Whoops, sorry about that.
                    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Very cool. I used that same enclosure to make a footswitch for my Marshall. Single button, LED and a jack. Works great and the enclosure has held up fine. The footswitch I used is a little more sturdy though, a Hoover vacuum cleaner switch.

Comment

That's a great idea! Lately I've been kinda wishing the tap on my DD-20 wasn't so freaking awkward to use, so I might cobble one of these together myself. Thanks for posting.
                        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Working...
                        X