No announcement yet.

The Phase Inverter tube. How to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phase Inverter tube. How to choose?

I got a good vault of information last time I asked about new tubes for my Tweaker,
    but I still don't understand the FIRST thing about a PI tube.

I read an article by Myles Rose about it, as well as tons of info on other forums, but the information around seems to be more for engineers than for ignorant guitar players like myself.

What does it do to the sound, and for what reason would I want a low or high gain tube in here??
    Some guys like the 5751 tubes better, others the 12at7, and others stick to some good ol' ax7.
    Some say lower gain tubes like the at7 are better here. Why?

What to do here? I really don't understand the first thing and there's too much COMPLEX information out there.
    I'd just like to understand what to choose with tone being the first consideration.
    Last edited by Diego; 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: The Phase Inverter tube. How to choose?

+1
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

in general get what ever tube your amp is supposed to have in the pi slot. i dont see 5751's used as pi tubes very often. usually either 12ax7 or 12at7

Comment

The phase inverter is more of a functional thing than a tone changer. It's probably the least important tube in the chain when it comes to replacements/upgrades. It's used to create a phase inverted signal for the power amp, and doesn't really change the tone in the way that the preamp tubes do.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          The phase inverter is more of a functional thing than a tone changer. It's probably the least important tube in the chain when it comes to replacements/upgrades. It's used to create a phase inverted signal for the power amp, and doesn't really change the tone in the way that the preamp tubes do.
          Some would say the opposite, as it is one of the deciding factors on how the power amp will behave. I think it depends a lot on how the amp is designed overall that determines the amount of difference a certain tube will make. V1 in any amp pretty much is guaranteed to be the most noticeable change. As far as what tube I like, I generally like a little bit lower gain tube. 5751's are nice.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
          Originally posted by Securb
          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I dunno, I've seemed to find that the breakup character of the PI DOES matter, in certain situations where the PI breaks up. I tried it with the night train and a boost pedal (to get the signal hot as crap to see if I could effect the PI).

I had two 12ax7s that I first tried in v1. One was a GE, and it was bright as sh*t. The other was a JJ short plate and was smooth and middy.
            Tried them in the phase inverter. The GE gave more sizzle to the sound, the JJ was growling more. Both times the v1 was a Japanese 12ax7, a matsush*ta. Same pedal, same guitars, same settings etc. Subtle but noticeable as the tubes were pretty much opposites.

Also in a non-master amp, if you have a weak phase inverter tube, you'll have less preamp distortion at a given spot on the dial. If you then put in a stronger, high gain PI, you'll get more preamp signal to the power tubes. In a non-master amps, PI is one of the things you can tweak slightly to change the ratio of preamp to power amp.

Comment

I'm not saying the PI has no effect on tone, especially in a NMV amp. It has far less of an effect on tone than any of the preamp tubes though (technically the PI is part of the power amp circuit). Every tube imparts something to your tone, so of course swapping one for another will change things.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

This is one of those nearly impossible questions to answer...and all of the previous posters are correct...ALL of them.

You can take three players, all with the same guitar, same effects and same amplifier. You can then swap each of their PI tubes out for a "higher gain" one and you can have three totally different results. One will notice no difference whatsoever, the second will feel his amp is more articulate and touch sensitive while the third feels his is more compressed and lacks punch.

It all depends on how you set up your rig and your personal playing style.
                Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

The role of the PI tube is very important in the amp design. Usually amps are designed class AB. Imaging a pure sine wave where there is a positive signal (peak) and negative signal (deep). Class AB amps have an amplifier or power tube for the positive and the negative part of the signal. One power tube is fed with a signal that is identical (in-phase) to the original signal, and the other power tube is fed with a mirror-image (phase-inverted) of the original signal.
                  That explain why you usually have 2 power tubes. If you go above in power (>50w) you will need to add another tube in each side, so you end up with 4 power tubes. In the hi-fi world, your goal is the non-distorted pristine sound. Those people talk about matched PI tube, so both sides of the PI tube are matched giving the same signal amplitude for both power tubes (yes, there are 2 preamps in a preamp tube). Guitar amplifiers are usually designed to have a non-matched side because that adds distortion to the sound... what we're looking for.
                  This is was a brief overview of what the PI does.
                  Changing the PI with different brand's tubes are tonally insignificant. What you want to experiment is with different gain tubes, like 5751, 12at7, 12ay7 and 12au7. Less gain and feeling but you might like it.
                  Last edited by crguti; 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                    Less gain
                    This I agree with partially...

and feeling
                    And this I don't...

but you might like it.
                    And this I do.

I think it depends a whole, whole lot on the amp and how hard the prior stages drive the PI tube. I got a lot more clarity and punch by putting a 12AU7 in my PI. A high-gain 12AX7 really got the power amp sounding too smooth for my tastes, especially in the case of a smooth-sounding tube (i.e. Mullard RI). With a JJ or Amperex 12AU7--which both sound about the same in the PI, by the way--the tone was a lot crunchier, a bit tighter, and definitely more clear. I also got a bit more headroom.

I don't have a whole lot of experience swapping tubes in PI slots, but I'm pretty sure the setup of the prior gain stages makes a big difference in how that tube and the power section both respond. You can affect it with the way the PI amplifies the incoming signal.

Comment

One thing I do know....If the PI tube is weak or just sucks,the entire amp sucks also tonally!
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I usually put in what my amp tech tells me that the amp needs. I leave it entirely up to him. he's a pro and I trust his judgement completely. He has been repairing my amps for close to 20 years and has never failed me.. besides; like you I am an ignorant guitar player !
                        Last edited by Bludave; 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM.
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          in general get what ever tube your amp is supposed to have in the pi slot. i dont see 5751's used as pi tubes very often. usually either 12ax7 or 12at7
                          at7. reliability is important for the PI. at7s can take 10x the amount of voltage that an ax7 or 5751 can. ax7s can sound cool and kinda drive a little creating a nice warm spongy response, but they can also crap out pretty easily doing that job too.
                          http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinti...seinverter.pdf
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            at7. reliability is important for the PI. at7s can take 10x the amount of voltage that an ax7 or 5751 can. ax7s can sound cool and kinda drive a little creating a nice warm spongy response, but they can also crap out pretty easily doing that job too.
                            http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinti...seinverter.pdf
                            Though keep in mind while i incredibly respect Myles there are alot of people who do disagree with him. A few years ago me and Doug Roccaforte had this exact conversation when I was asking about different tubes for my Hi Gain 100 and his opinions were defiantly not the same. There are thousands and thousands of amps out there with 12ax7's in the PI spot with no particular penchant for breaking down.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

you are prolly right. My marshall uses an ax7. I just found i cook them a lot in my fender twin, so i just use at7s now
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X