Trying To Get A Good Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying To Get A Good Tone

Below is my gear. I tweek and I tweek and nothing satisfies me. I just want a killer overdriven/distorted tone I like. I am just a bedroom rock star and want to sound change. Also a good slapback echo setting. What are you guy doing for good overdrive?

'57 Gibson ES-225TD with original P-90's
    '09 Gibson BB King Signature Model with original Gibson 490's
    '11 Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute with Seymour Duncan Slash pups
    '10 Gibson SG Faded with a Gibson Tony Iommi pup in the neck and a Gibson Angus Young pup in the bridge
    '05 Fender American Series Strat with Fender Eric Johnson pups
    '07 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster with Fender Texas Special Pups
    '12 Warmoth Jazzmaster with Seymour Duncan JM Antiquity pups
    '00 Martin D-15
    '95 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with original Am. St. pups and a Warmoth neck
    '11 Fender American Special Jazz Bass with original Am. Sp. pups and a Fretless Warmoth neck.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 with Weber 12F150 Ceramic Mag Speaker
    Fender Extention Cab 1x12 with Weber 12F150B Ceramic Mag Speaker
    Acoustic 1x15 B100 Bass Amp

Boss TU-2 Tuner
    MXR Dyna Comp
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Distortion +
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss BF-3 Flanger
    Boss CH1 Super Chorus
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
    MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Re: Trying To Get A Good Tone

I run an SD antiquity loaded Jazzmaster through an EHX Big Muff Germanium4 and Big Muff NYC Pi and into a Fender 65 Twin Reverb and 59 Bassman for my overdrive and dirt sounds.
    Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
    I dig the wood!

Comment

Crank dem amps past bedroom levels! You have a lot of really nice gear. There are definitely great tones to be had if you let your amp breath a little.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I admit I do have some nice stuff. If I had a bigger house I would crank it to 12. Fender HRDlx's go to 12 one past 11. 3 on my amp in my Man Cave is plenty loud. I usually have my Dyna Comp on all the time at 11 O'clock or 3 O'clock to compress the hell out of it. My Blues Driver is on 12 O'clock for Gain and the Distortion + is usually on 9 O'clock for Distortion. I still have yet to find a Great Flange sound I like. I have a Chorus setting I like. The Phase 90 is easy. One knob either more or less phase. Trem is easy. The Delays and Echos aggravate me.

Comment

Buy a Marshall
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Had two Marshall's and didn't like them. If I was going to buy and amp now I would get an Egnater Tweeker or a Mesa Transatlantic or an Orange Tiny Terror.

Comment

That is a lot of gear for a bedroom rocker. I use to have a whole floorboard of effects and now the only thing i use is a NS2 and I crank my amp. Simple and dumb. Now you're case may not be mine but what I found is that I obsessed about tone to the point of it driving me nuts. I payed less attention to my playing and song writing. It can be debilitating to become tone obsessed. In my case i needed less tweaking and more rocking. Start with you speakers or amp and work it from there. Get a solid core then add to it.
              Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Tone is in the hands.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I did re-speaker my amp and I like my amp and it sounds way better than before, and 40 watts is plenty loud for me. 40 watt to 100 watts is not that much different. You need to increase 10 times whatever wattage you have now to make it twice as loud. Most people think a 50 watt amp is half as loud as a 100 watter and it is not true. I know pros have an entire studio and engineers at there disposal to make them sound good. I have some nice axes and decent amp and stomp boxes. Maybe my room is to small, maybe the acoustics are bad, but I just never get a good tone that I wanted to write down the setting so I can remember them. Maybe I am to picky?

Comment

Part of your tone woes are due to the fact that you are not cranking things a bit. My wife continually tells me I play to loud. Haha.. I think that's a good measurement! I don't think I play any louder then I ever did, I just think she has gotten older!

What kind of music are you playing? That is a big key to getting advise. If you are playing metal well then you need something more aggressive, if you are playing blues you need something with mild overdrive!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

why did you buy the hot rod deluxe if you don't like the sound? (sometimes amps sound better/different in the store). If you don't like it, sell it. Find something you like by testing. there's so many amps w/great OD built right in these days - the ones you mentioned, blackstars, jet city, fender modellers, 3 sizes of vox night trains, etc. no sense battling with an amp you don't really like.
                      Last edited by DankStar; 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I do like my amp, and I got it for a steal. I was just saying if I had to do it all over again, I would buy a different amp. Why are tube amps so expensive any way. After I bought my amp I got new tubes for it cause I had no idea how long they had been in there. So I heard about Euro Tubes and I think I bought JJ tubes for it. The whole matched set of 5 tubes cost less than $100. So why is a 50 watt solid state amp $250 and a 50 watt tube amp about $800 to over a grand. Is there that much of a difference in the amount of parts that go into it. Are pygmy umpa lumpa's assembling them with rare electronic parts that hand crafted by leprechauns?

Comment

Oh, forgot I mostly play Rock. Going to see the Drive-By Truckers in two weeks for the 6th time.

Comment

There is nothing wrong w/your amp. It is not my taste, as I am an old Marshall Super Lead type of guy, but you do need to crank the amp. In order to do it in your man cave, you need to find yourself a good (and I do mean good) amp tech, and have him install a true master volume in it for you. Then you can turn up your pre-amp and/or your volume to 8 - 10, and use the master to control your actual volume. You will find that you will not need your compressor much, as the sound will automatically be fat. In fact, you may not need any of your distortion effects. Then you can use your modulation & delay effects to color your sound. You have a lot of great equipment. I hope you get to be happy with it all.
                            Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
                            Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

Originally posted by 09 BB King View Post
                              Below is my gear. I tweek and I tweek and nothing satisfies me. I just want a killer overdriven/distorted tone I like. I am just a bedroom rock star and want to sound change. Also a good slapback echo setting. What are you guy doing for good overdrive?

'57 Gibson ES-225TD with original P-90's
                              '09 Gibson BB King Signature Model with original Gibson 490's
                              '11 Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute with Seymour Duncan Slash pups
                              '10 Gibson SG Faded with a Gibson Tony Iommi pup in the neck and a Gibson Angus Young pup in the bridge
                              '05 Fender American Series Strat with Fender Eric Johnson pups
                              '07 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster with Fender Texas Special Pups
                              '12 Warmoth Jazzmaster with Seymour Duncan JM Antiquity pups
                              '00 Martin D-15
                              '95 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with original Am. St. pups and a Warmoth neck
                              '11 Fender American Special Jazz Bass with original Am. Sp. pups and a Fretless Warmoth neck.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 with Weber 12F150 Ceramic Mag Speaker
                              Fender Extention Cab 1x12 with Weber 12F150B Ceramic Mag Speaker
                              Acoustic 1x15 B100 Bass Amp

Boss TU-2 Tuner
                              MXR Dyna Comp
                              Dunlop Crybaby
                              MXR Distortion +
                              Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
                              MXR Phase 90
                              Boss BF-3 Flanger
                              Boss CH1 Super Chorus
                              Boss TR-2 Tremolo
                              Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
                              MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay