banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

This is the almighty 5150 (6505) we're talking about.
    If dropping master vol doesn't work, would consider that

Smaller cab is arguably the best solution, scientifically.
    More speakers is more volume. Wattage is second to that.
    Try a 1x12 if you haven't.

Using an attenuator would probably come after; tied with:

Using another (lower powered) amp as the power section for your 6505.
    I will use my HT5 power section for amps in the bedroom, though sound color is already being compromised at this point.

Ditching the amp seems rash.

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
      I will be honest, unless you have thick walls even a 5 watt tube amp is going to be loud.
      just buy this and use headphones, or the optional "cab"
      Impressive.

I'll add a +1 on the modeling route. My home practice setup consists of Amplitube on on iPhone. I run it through a small mixer along with my laptop so I can play with the songs. Works great.

Comment

The way I tame amps for home use is by running an Alesis Nanoverb in the FX loop.
        It's not exactly attenuation, but it does choke off some volume while adding mild reverb or any other effect. Use any outboard unit that has a 'send/mix/output' section. It allows you to have a second master volume, and the input knob lets you dial in the signal sensitivity.

Other than that, a small modeling amp or floorboard/headphones is something to get.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

You could also probably snag a PODXT pretty cheap. 100 bucks or less. Sounds fantastic for practicing imo. Great with headphones. I think the metal shop add on comes with a 5150 model.

You could also run it into the effects loop return of the 6505 and dial in the volume to taste.

Comment

You can't do anything.
            You want to play a 60 watt amp in a house, and not bother the person in the next room, and not Compromise tone "completely".?
            There is nothing you can do. Unless you need an attenuator for stage also, why bother, spend that money on a small amp.
            You will be much happier with a small amp......and they will STILL hear that, loud, in the next room.
            There is nothing you can do, unless you want to play through headphones.
            Best
            Last edited by zzmoore; 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
              I understand you like your 6505+, I use high-wattage amps too...

...but I use them live with a band at venues.

At some point you have to concede to the right tool for the job. You'll be happier once you do. A 60-watt amp is not an efficient method of amplifying your sound for playing at home.

Now, I hate to be that guy who goes around the edge of giving you the advice you're looking for, but I don't think there is really any good way to do what you're trying to do and use a 60-watt 2x12 combo in your house. What Simon F says about attenuators mirrors my experience as well.

There are a lot of lower-wattage amps out there that do high-gain nowadays - you'll be much happier in the long run with one of them.

Best of luck!
              This is pretty much it: get the right tool for the job.

I have a Mark V in the rehearsal studio, and I would never in a million years dream of playing it at home. That's why I got myself a Fender Mustang I. It's a perfect little home practice and recording amp, and it actually sounds really good.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

i think you are asking the wrong question
                ask not how to bedroomize your 6505, ask how to 6505-ize your bedroom

answer: sleep in a stadium

good luck
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                  i think you are asking the wrong question
                  ask not how to bedroomize your 6505, ask how to 6505-ize your bedroom

answer: sleep in a stadium

good luck
                  This is also a good solution.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I was just looking at this combo at MF and notice that it has the "microphone-simulated direct interface" which simulates a mic'ed cab. Have you tried running this into an inexpensive mixer with a headphone out. (Or into a home stereo.)

On a lighter note, the OM seems to have some "typos". The input impedance is 1-ohm and the XLR output level is 35Vrms?

Comment

Lots of great suggestions fellas....this is a tough nut for me because this is the first time my wife and daughter have ganged up on me about how loud the amp really is.....they never used to care.....

I have been using a friend's iso cab recently on the weekends and that does alright but it still can get a little too loud....

I feel a little slighted to be honest..I've never complained that my daughter's stereo is too loud....

My wife used to dig the noise....

Comment

the complaining is just reality biting you on the ass.
                        you are using a 6505 at home. What were you expecting?
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                          the complaining is just reality biting you on the ass.
                          you are using a 6505 at home. What were you expecting?
                          Back in the day I used to play my old bassman at home all the time and I had no complaints....this is actually a very new phenomenon in my household!

Comment

lol. but now its 2 vs 1.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              lol. but now its 2 vs 1.
                              I know!!!!

Comment

Put it the bedroom and use it as an amp stand for a 5 watt or less amp...

Which BTW will still be too loud but will be easier to tame than a 6505.
                                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                                X