banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

I think I will just invest in a smaller amp....has to be tube though.....I have a couple in mind already...blackstar ht1 or jet city picovalve??

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      This is pretty much it: get the right tool for the job.

I have a Mark V in the rehearsal studio, and I would never in a million years dream of playing it at home. That's why I got myself a Fender Mustang I. It's a perfect little home practice and recording amp, and it actually sounds really good.
      If you like it, that speaks volumes to me. I'm actually looking for something to replace my old and finicky PODxt for home practice and demo recording.

Does it have a nice emulated line out?
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Saying the smaller amp has to be tube just limited yourself yet again. Seriously, get over the tube thing and look at a modeler for quiet and lower volume playing, especially with a family.

I'm in the same situation, wife and daughter, and we have another one on the way. My "play room" is now the baby room and my office is in the front living room. Guess what, it's headphones and a modeler for me if I want to get any practice in and keep the rest of the house happy. That's just how it rolls.

I can use my amps in the garage if I want, and I do on nice days, but when it gets crazy hot out, that won't be happening as often.

Comment

Yep, been there done that. Finally figured a Marshall Class 5 would allow me to get good tube tone, and keep the family happy.

NOPE. Sounds like crap unless its cranked, and doubly crap in the low watt setting.
          Pedals and low volume sound like crap too.

Getting a speaker moving is key to getting a tube amp to sound and feel awesome.

To do that you need volume.

I play my old standby VOX modelling amp 90% of the time, as its meant to imitate the sounds of tubes cooking and speakers flopping at reasonable volumes.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Getting a speaker moving is key to getting a tube amp to sound and feel awesome.
            +10000000. And maybe not just tubes only (i.e. SS too).

My suggestions:

1. Buy a bigger house (you cheap @$$ LOL!).

2. Throw them out / Play when they are not home.

The only other way IMO is something with headphones i.e. POD. When I was living in a corporate apartment, I went the POD route first. It was great, headphones sound good, but you get tired o wearing them. So then I tried small modeling amps - Fender GDEC, Vox VT15, but I ended up liking the POD the best, because in order to get a good sound, you need to "fill the room", and then you are back into the same problem you started with.

Go the headphone route.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
              If you like it, that speaks volumes to me. I'm actually looking for something to replace my old and finicky PODxt for home practice and demo recording.

Does it have a nice emulated line out?
              Yes! I mainly use the USB out for recording though.

NAD thread:
              Tubes or Solid State: All are welcome. If it amplifies a signal, this is the place!

A sweet Game of Thrones cover I made with it: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show....php?p=3154253
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I have a 3120 and i had the same problem. I was using Eminence speakers but switched to WGS ET65 which have a much lower output yet still retain the character of the amp. Made a huge difference in volume at the same settings, i also noticed i can tame the amp by changing the damping switch to "tight". I could of course turn down the master volume down to 1 or 2 but at that point i would prefer to use either Amplitube, my analog modeling rig (AMT S-1), or use my VOX Metal headphone amp.

Comment

My little Fender Mustang 1 has a great 5150(6505) model, IMHO. The best hundred bucks I've ever spent!

Comment

sound proof your room ? Nice amp Bro
                    Last edited by desertdude; 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The best thing to do is buy another one, run them in stereo, and crank the crap out of them. That's how you bedroom-ize it!!

Comment

I've got small modelers, and even a Vox Tonelab. And you know what I still use as my noodling lead tone practice amp? A 50W 1987 Marshall Jubilee halfstack. It's because it sounds awesome...all tubed and biased nicely. Up loud it's killer, but it's the only bigboy amp I'm able to reign in volume-wise. And I do it with a cheap Alesis Nanoverb I got off Craigslist for $60.

Seriously, if you want to continue using your amp, get an FX unit with input/mix/output, and scale everything way back. No, your speakers won't be pushed and whatever....but....Run an OD in front, turn the amp to a normal low level, and use a rack reverb unit to choke off the volume between the pre and power section of your amp. This trick works.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I play unplugged. And it might be difficult to believe this, but it will do things to your technique that you won't believe. I don't remember the last time that I actually plugged into a tube amp.
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                            The best thing to do is buy another one, run them in stereo, and crank the crap out of them. That's how you bedroom-ize it!!
                            This tbh

Seriously though, I have a 100 watt Mesa, when I can't crank it I use this

and it really does sound almost as good as the real thing...
                            Depending on how particular you are about tone that may not work, but it's good enough for me.
                            Originally posted by jcthejester13
                            Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Remember the video where Twisted Sister kicks in the walls of some suburban squaresville home and teaches them to rock? This is like the opposite of that. You'll just have to man up, get your spandex on and show em who's boss.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I love this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X